Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Selling 2nd hand car
Broadsman
post Thu, 28 Jun 2018 - 12:18
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 57,735

Hi all,

Friend of mine sold a 54 plate 206 a few days ago. Cash buyer, sold as seen. MOT was due and he made this known to the buyer who was happy.

Fast forward to yesterday, buyer contacts him to say the car failed MOT miserably and they want their money back, quoting consumer rights and that "We are well within our rights to bring his car back I’ve checked. I need the money back we need a car!" and quotes "if there's a problem with a second hand car, for example, it develops a problem that wouldn't be expected of a vehicle of that age/mileage....."

What I'm told, the buyer turned up and was there about 10 minutes, didn't take the car for a drive or open the bonnet. The car is now over 50 miles away so must have been driveable on the day.

The car being 14 years old with 130k on the clock, anything could go wrong with the car. As far as my friend was aware the car was in good condition at point of sale.

Where does he stand?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Advertisement
post Thu, 28 Jun 2018 - 12:18
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Fredd
post Thu, 28 Jun 2018 - 12:39
Post #2

Webmaster
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

If it was a private sale then the seller is only responsible for any statements they made that the buyer may be able to claim they relied on. Where you can come a cropper if you're not careful (apart from making a downright false statement, of course) is making broad statements like "it's basically a good sound car".

--------------------
Regards,
Fredd

Visa, Mastercard, debit card or PayPal account

+Quote Post
Broadsman
post Thu, 28 Jun 2018 - 12:43
Post #3

Member No.: 57,735

Thanks Fredd. As he thought. He's not the sought to offer opinions.

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Thu, 28 Jun 2018 - 14:57
Post #4

Member No.: 49,223

QUOTE (Broadsman @ Thu, 28 Jun 2018 - 13:18) *
We are well within our rights to bring his car back I’ve checked.

Check again... Sold as seen - Caveat emptor.

This post has been edited by Jlc: Thu, 28 Jun 2018 - 14:57

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Thu, 28 Jun 2018 - 15:22
Post #5

Member No.: 38,559

If it was specifically sold as seen, there is an onus on the buyer to check it over, barring false statements from the seller, cannot see the buyer has a leg to stand on.

+Quote Post
I am Weasel
post Thu, 28 Jun 2018 - 15:41
Post #6

Member No.: 27,840

Whenever I have sold a car privately, I have always made out a document of sale that both parties sign. It has always included the phase "Sold as seen and tested". Once signed, I then copy the document and retain the copy just in case

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Fri, 29 Jun 2018 - 10:44
Post #7

Member No.: 90,659

Bearing in mind the value of a 54 plate Pug due an MoT is little more than scrap, the buyer either

a) Paid very little for it, and/or
b) Is incredibly naive, and/or
c) For some reason believed it would pass it's MoT.

Bearing in mind they must have discussed the car to some degree even if it is "sold as seen", whether they have a leg to stand on depends on what was said and what the car failed on. You can't give a false impression as to the roadworthiness of the car and then just use "sold as seen" as a catch all disclaimer.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Fri, 29 Jun 2018 - 11:45
Post #8

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Broadsman @ Thu, 28 Jun 2018 - 13:18) *
Fast forward to yesterday, buyer contacts him to say the car failed MOT miserably and they want their money back, quoting consumer rights and that "We are well within our rights to bring his car back I’ve checked. I need the money back we need a car!" and quotes "if there's a problem with a second hand car, for example, it develops a problem that wouldn't be expected of a vehicle of that age/mileage....."

That would apply if sold by a dealership, for a private sale its meaningless, he should check his facts to the same standard as he should check his cars...

That said some MOT stations are disingenuous bar stewards, I now know and rely on station with no workshop or used car lot, it only fails on what it should fail on!

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Fri, 29 Jun 2018 - 12:39
Post #9

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Fri, 29 Jun 2018 - 12:45) *
...........I now know and rely on station with no workshop or used car lot, it only fails on what it should fail on!

Similar.... my place is the one that all the local independent garages take their motors to..... they will repair but have little free time so don't push it.
Can only say I've always found them fair.

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Fri, 29 Jun 2018 - 14:36
Post #10

Same here, place that just does MoTs but will do minor repairs as they work their way around. Makes sense as then you don't have that stupid thing of "it's failed but if you do this five minute job we'll pass it".

I think they have an incentive to pass because effectively their business model is "pay full price for your MoT but with a better chance of it passing".

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Fri, 29 Jun 2018 - 17:08
Post #11

Member No.: 18,483

What is this “MoT” thing of which you speak?

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Fri, 29 Jun 2018 - 17:14
Post #12

QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Fri, 29 Jun 2018 - 18:08) *

I'm typing everything with one hand and use eCCenTric cAPITaliSATion to improve dexterity.

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Fri, 29 Jun 2018 - 17:33
Post #13

Member No.: 18,483

QUOTE (notmeatloaf @ Fri, 29 Jun 2018 - 18:14) *
QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Fri, 29 Jun 2018 - 18:08) *

I'm typing everything with one hand and use eCCenTric cAPITaliSATion to improve dexterity.

“MoT” is perfectly correct - I just don’t think I’ve ever had one. An unnecessary bureaucratic nonsense here.

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Fri, 29 Jun 2018 - 18:10
Post #14

Member No.: 42,618

Still, "obligatory test certificate" would be the most correct term.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
Churchmouse
post Fri, 29 Jun 2018 - 18:31
Post #15

Member No.: 20,731

I don't buy cars, but the vast majority of sellers of bikes that I've seen always get an MOT as part of the inducement. Not having a recent MOT should be a huge red flag for any moderately informed buyer.

--Churchmouse

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Fri, 29 Jun 2018 - 18:39
Post #16

QUOTE (Churchmouse @ Fri, 29 Jun 2018 - 19:31) *
I don't buy cars, but the vast majority of sellers of bikes that I've seen always get an MOT as part of the inducement. Not having a recent MOT should be a huge red flag for any moderately informed buyer.

--Churchmouse

Indeed which is why it matters if the seller had an explanation as to why it was being sold without an MoT.

You'd imagine it was the sort of thing that the buyer would ask, unless it was clearly priced accordingly.

It was admittedly stupid to buy it as it seems fairly obvious the seller wasn't MoTing it because it wouldn't pass. Otherwise they would do it and get the extra value from a certificate. Which means that if the buyer expected it to pass the test there is maybe a missing part of the story.

+Quote Post
stamfordman
post Fri, 29 Jun 2018 - 21:44
Post #17

Member No.: 59,924

Good idea of course to have a reasonable length of MoT and to check the advisories as they are online. But it won't save you from some faults - I bought a car last year for my son to learn to drive in and all seemed well with nearly a year's Mot and my test drive but the clutch went after 3 months.

+Quote Post
Fredd
post Fri, 29 Jun 2018 - 22:12
Post #18

Webmaster
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (notmeatloaf @ Fri, 29 Jun 2018 - 19:39) *
It was admittedly stupid to buy it as it seems fairly obvious the seller wasn't MoTing it because it wouldn't pass.

It's not necessarily stupid to buy it if you know what you're buying and what it'll take to make it roadworthy (or what its value is for parts/scrap).

--------------------
Regards,
Fredd

Visa, Mastercard, debit card or PayPal account

+Quote Post
Churchmouse
post Sat, 30 Jun 2018 - 08:38
Post #19

Member No.: 20,731

QUOTE (Fredd @ Fri, 29 Jun 2018 - 23:12) *
It was admittedly stupid to buy it as it seems fairly obvious the seller wasn't MoTing it because it wouldn't pass.

It's not necessarily stupid to buy it if you know what you're buying and what it'll take to make it roadworthy (or what its value is for parts/scrap).

And such persons would know that the relevant provisions of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 don't apply to private sellers selling vehicles "as seen"...

--Churchmouse

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Sat, 30 Jun 2018 - 10:27
Post #20

QUOTE (Fredd @ Fri, 29 Jun 2018 - 23:12) *

That is the thing.
If you are aware and can get the spanners out, what may be a grand's worth of repairs could be a hundred or less (plus your time and sweat)
But anyone who buys a car with no MOT or a short one is taking a risk.
I did yesterday.... second hand car for my daughter, 3 months MOT left.
As far as I could see/find, worst case is minor things (brakes/discs/suspension/steering joints and the like) may be needed, knocked 200 off the asking price for possible cost of MOT immediately before we started haggling.
I couldn't see or find any issues but that doesn't mean that any won't appear. But am aware and can fix any I expect.
If the unexpected turns up, that is the risk with buying privately.
The benefit is at least 2 grand cheaper then I could have bought same car at a dealers.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Tuesday, 16th April 2024 - 06:52
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here