Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
i54 Innovation Drive bus lane appeal. I won at Tribunal
i54
post Mon, 13 Aug 2018 - 15:31
Post #1

Group: Closed
Member No.: 99,381

I'm posting under a new name, so that this cannot be correlated against my login elsewhere.

I was way off familiar territory on Innovation Drive, off the M54. There is a bus gate, which is very poorly signed: so badly signed that for the only time in my driving career I was caught by camera. I appealed against the penalty charge notice and received a boilerplate rejection which offered an extension to the reduced payment period. I rejected the kind offer and, eventually, ended up with the Traffic Penalty Tribunal.

The Tribunal took over 2 months to produce a decision. My appeal was allowed on the grounds that the Council had not proven its case in this instance. That is very carefully worded, and means that others cannot refer to the decision to support their own case. It also meant that the adjudicator did not need to take into account other issues, such as a council witness statement which, in one important detail, was contradicted by the council's own log of action.

On two occasions letters sent to me stated that documents were attached, when they were not. The council evidence pack was a barrage of documents, some of which were entirely irrelevant. The packs also made allegations about my motivation in going through the bus lane which were wild fabrications; certainly not 'evidence'

The council included a streetview image of the junction, stating that it was the view on approach. This had been cropped to remove the copyright, and to disguise the fact that it was taken from a google car LEAVING, not approaching, the junction, which materially altered the view.

In the process I learned a number of things, which will come in useful if there's a next time. Among them, that an authorisation for signs is not DFT endorsement of the signs. But I trust that, having made an honest mistake on this one occasion, and been exonerated by the Tribunal, there will not be a next time.

I'm a long time lurker, and grateful for some of the advice I found here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 14:28
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here