Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Careless Driving
chris2490
post Sat, 23 Sep 2017 - 21:30
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 91,382

Hi,

I was involved in an accident in April this year, stopped to turn into a side road upon doing so pulled in front of an oncoming vehicle and crashed head on. Police were called to which I admitted full responsibility etc was told they would pop out for a chat in a few days to which she did. Explained that at the time I was working 7pm - 10pm then up again at 2am to start work at 4-8am had been doing this for quite a while due to debt that we needed to clear.

I have now quit my morning job and will never drive on only a few hours sleep again. Anyways, was told she would recommend in her report that I write a letter of apology and that would be that, I wrote the letter posted it etc. heard nothing more until I received a letter last month Dated the 25th of August inviting me to do a course which i'm happy to do however this is were the problem now lies.

I took 3 weeks holiday from work in August to which my employer decided to mess up my pay and not pay me correctly, by time I received the letter (I get paid 4 weekly) all my outgoings had gone out and what was left was for insurance and petrol for work. I then attempted to book a course for the 10th October but was told that balance would need to be paid in full by the 26th, and I dont get paid until the 27th. and was told I'd loose my slot and also my deposit so could not do that. there were no other available courses in my area so I rang the number on the letter.

I was informed that a council local to me hold these courses and that the next one would be on the 20th of October which is fantastic as it works well around work etc. this is where the problem lies I rang the council only to be told they would ring me back as they had a backlog of people to get through this was around 2 weeks ago, rang again last week I was again told the same and rang again on the Monday only to be again told they would get back to me. Rang the number on the letter again they kindly rang the council for me and told me to ring straight back and they would book me on the course there and then.....rang up again and yet again told to leave my details and somebody would get back to me.

Today I went online to view if any other courses would be available to find that this course is now available but only 5 spaces left, I attempted to view more information I was then asked to register with another site entered my drivers number etc. I then went to ring my dad who offered to pay for the course to secure my place to which the website logged me out.

I now cant log back in as its saying that I must be booked onto a course and when attempting to recover my password the website just crashes bearing in mind that I didnt pay for the course and the website basically said I had so long to pay before loosing my spot and I'd have to re book.

Giving that I only have until the 24th October I'm now getting paranoid that i'll loose my license (I have 3 points already for speeding) and giving the hours in which I start/finish no public transport is available.

If it did go to court what would the likely outcome be? both vehicles were a write off, police said that there were no injuries

Would the police extend the time I have to take the course? giving that now it wont even allow me to log in book & pay now that I have the means to do that and theres only 1 course available from now until the 24th October when I have to complete it by.

Thanks

Chris

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
Advertisement
post Sat, 23 Sep 2017 - 21:30
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Logician
post Sun, 24 Sep 2017 - 01:07
Post #2

Member No.: 36,528

These are national course which can be taken anywhere in the country, so if you are having difficulty locally it could be worth your while to try elsewhere. I very much doubt the police would extend the time given to take the course since they need to be able to take you to court if you fail to take the course at all, and they only have 6 months to commence proceedings. In fact it is surprising that they do not require you to complete the course before October. If the matter does go to court the sentence will be at the discretion of the bench within a range of 3 to 9 points (or disqualification) but you can point out that the police obviously did not consider your offence to be very serious since they gave you the option of taking a course. It will be better for you to take a course than have points on your licence, so it is well worth while persisting in your efforts to get booked on a course.

--------------------

+Quote Post
chris2490
post Sun, 24 Sep 2017 - 10:55
Post #3

The Accident happened on the 8th April this year, and the letter dated 25th August states I need to complete the course by the 24/10/17. Have I been charged with careless driving? I was interviewed under caution at my home, officer rang me at work back end of April stating if I write a letter of apology this may be accepted she dropped off the gentlemans address and I wrote and posted a letter and heard nothing more until I received the offer of a course.

The letter goes on to say that they believe I may have committed an offence of driving without due care and attention or without reasonable consideration for other road users.

I have also read online regarding a 6 month time limit? giving that if the course isnt completed on the 24/10/17 this would be over the 6 month limit surely? and at no point have I been told that I have been charged with any offence.

Granted that I have accepted full responsibility i'm more annoyed that it's taking this long and I could still risk loosing my license I could fully understand had I not been fully cooperative but I have, thankfully there was no injuries both vehicles were written off and the gentleman thankfully was okay and was just okay with getting an apology in writing which I was extremely grateful for.

thanks

chris

+Quote Post
fedup2
post Sun, 24 Sep 2017 - 11:04
Post #4

Member No.: 10,873

So whats stopping you booking a course?

+Quote Post
chris2490
post Sun, 24 Sep 2017 - 11:29
Post #5

I went to book it yesterday, as my dad was going to pay for it the website logged me out and now it wont allow me to log back in so obviously going to ring the course provider tomorrow but been trying to get onto this course for the past 3 weeks only to be told they will ring me back as they have a backlog they didnt, found the course had been put online attempted to book it, the site logged me out isnt allowing me back in.

So bearing in mind the hassle I have had trying to book it already, and this is the only course that is available from now until my deadline I am looking for advice in case I'm not able to do it, as feel the council have been messing me about some what.

Even police rang council for me last Monday after I was told the same that they had a massive backlog and they would get to me when they could they told the police if I ring up after he'd spoke to me I could book straight away (Which I had already rang a few times before to find out when the next course would be) Police told me the next course would be on the 20/10/17.

Did as the police said to be once again met with we are extremely busy and have a backlog we are working through leave us your name and number and we will get in contact with you this was last Monday. Checked online seen that the course had been now put on there with 5 spaces available went to book it it gave me a few minutes to pay for it at this point I rang my dad who took a few minutes to find his bank card by then the site had logged me out and now it wont let me log back in.

So giving the fact that the council have not got back to me and even at one point said that they didnt do driver alertness courses but instead speed awareness courses is all that they did im not holding much hope for my telephone conversation them tomorrow.

So I'm looking for advice what would happen if the course didn't get completed and the fact the 8th of October would be the 6 month deadline,and the fact I haven't been charged with careless driving
yet.

On another note AADrive tech were fantastic in trying to help me but the council on the other hand just dont seem to want to help me, even the Police have been helpful and at the moment the only course I can get to easily is being operated by the council, and now I cant even log in to book a course with another provider as its not allowing me to do that anymore.

thanks

chris

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Sun, 24 Sep 2017 - 11:39
Post #6

Member No.: 18,483

If the police haven't commenced proceedings for careless driving within six months of the offence date then they're out of time.

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Monday, 18th June 2018 - 19:21
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.