Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Damage caused by RoadWorks
TJG
post Fri, 6 Sep 2019 - 15:28
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 105,617

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice as best way to proceed with this...

I was driving to Nottingham the other day, and hit a trench left by roadworks, as pictured here...

Attached Image

I have a BlackVue DR900S-2Ch camera in the car and it's recorded the impact, and clearly shows before and after results, from the image below, you can see the smooth running of the car, the impact and the shaking afterwards.

Attached Image

I have taken the car to Mercedes for an estimate and they have said that the passenger side alloy is buckled, plus the front wheel bearings need tightening, Mercedes have taper bearings and therefore can be knocked loose on an impact such as this.

I have spoken to the construction company involved, who were initially quite helpful until they got the quote from Mercedes, with the wheel being £550 and total bill just shy of £900 - which includes 4-wheel alignment and wheel bearing adjustment (inc VAT) - when they saw this bill they changed their tune..

Now they are saying that they want to get their insurance company involved....this is fine but in the process I'm left without a car as it has been suggested with the loose wheel bearings that this could be classed as a MOT failure - car had passed the MOT on 01/08/2019 with nothing on it, and wheels were refurbished and replaced about the same time, and confirmed no buckles, cracks or marks..

What would be the best way forward? Should I wait for them to come back to me - or do you think this would be advisable to take up with my insurance company and let them battle it for me? I just don't want to be lumbered with loss of no claims, and having to pay the excess if I can avoid it...

Thanks for any help, and any questions please ask!!

Location for reference, in case anybody else has had a problem is here...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/52°18...33;4d-0.1637592

This post has been edited by TJG: Fri, 6 Sep 2019 - 15:41
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Start new topic
Replies (20 - 22)
Advertisement
post Fri, 6 Sep 2019 - 15:28
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
DancingDad
post Sun, 8 Sep 2019 - 18:58
Post #21

Member No.: 38,559

Don't respond to their claim re the measurement with hearsay, ie another contractor told me.
You have clear evidence of the state of the trench immediately before the point of impact.
As I said, the cut edge is probably 20mm.
Ask them to confirm the thickness that the tarmac should be?

+Quote Post
TJG
post Fri, 13 Sep 2019 - 09:35
Post #22

Member No.: 105,617

Payout received from company - although not what it truly will cost to fix things, it's a step in the right direction.

I could have held out, but not having a car and needing to get places, I was forced into a sticky situation....I could have hired one, but this would have been at my cost until claimed back, and if I had gone down the insurance route, then there was no guarantee that it would all end quickly.

Thanks for all your help everybody!

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Fri, 13 Sep 2019 - 10:35
Post #23

Member No.: 38,559

If you've got a payout that covers most and that avoids further delay, gotta be regarded as a good result.
Could or would have got more can always be asked but the last 10% can be a major sticking point.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 15th November 2019 - 09:45
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.