PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Single Justice Notice after forgetting to pay fine, what to expect?
bakedbeans
post Tue, 14 May 2019 - 13:08
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 103,854

I received a speeding ticket back in November for which I promptly admitted liability and was duly offered a driver awareness course. I booked that for March but on the day something came up with work so I had to cancel it by phone and figure I would just pay the fine as there was no time to reschedule something local.

The conditional offer came in the post March 21st but I did not pay the fine in time and now I have been issued with a notice that I am to receive a Single Justice Procedure Notice.

This is 100% my fault. I genuinely thought I had paid but I can't find any bank records or email receipt so clearly I haven't. To make matters worse I was late sending my licence off (I sent it 8 days ago) thinking paying the fine was the critical part.

Can anyone shed some light on what to expect? I have tried to pay today but of course they refuse payment and tell me to wait for the magistrate and were generally unhelpful in explaining what is likely to happen from here.

I have 3 points on my licence already and this penalty was for 39 in a 30 zone.

Kind thanks.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 12)
Advertisement
post Tue, 14 May 2019 - 13:08
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
The Rookie
post Tue, 14 May 2019 - 13:33
Post #2

Member No.: 317

Fine and points will depend on the alleged speed and limit, while presumably low level offence (to get the course offer ) you could fall in either band A or Band B.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
Logician
post Tue, 14 May 2019 - 13:36
Post #3

Member No.: 36,528

You cannot attend the single justice hearing and there is no point doing anything other than simply pleading guilty. You will get 3 points, a fine of 50% of your weekly net income, less 33% for the guilty plea. surcharge of 10% of the fine (minimum £30) and £85 costs. You will of course need to inform your insurance company, either immediately or on renewal, depending on your policy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bakedbeans
post Tue, 14 May 2019 - 14:12
Post #4

QUOTE (Logician @ Tue, 14 May 2019 - 14:36) *
You cannot attend the single justice hearing and there is no point doing anything other than simply pleading guilty. You will get 3 points, a fine of 50% of your weekly net income, less 33% for the guilty plea. surcharge of 10% of the fine (minimum £30) and £85 costs. You will of course need to inform your insurance company, either immediately or on renewal, depending on your policy.

Thanks.

I am self-employed. How do they calculate in this situation?

+Quote Post
Logician
post Tue, 14 May 2019 - 14:26
Post #5

Member No.: 36,528

From your most recent accounts, unless for some reason they are not representative of your current income.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Tue, 14 May 2019 - 17:51
Post #6

‘They’ don’t, you do, you will be asked to complete form MC100 which you can get a copy of online with a search.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
squaredeal
post Tue, 14 May 2019 - 18:11
Post #7

Member No.: 42,764

You don't mention it, but I presume you have had your partial refund for the unattended course?

+Quote Post
bakedbeans
post Wed, 15 May 2019 - 10:53
Post #8

QUOTE (squaredeal @ Tue, 14 May 2019 - 19:11) *
You don't mention it, but I presume you have had your partial refund for the unattended course?

No refund was given to me. I paid £93 which included £3.50 flexible booking option but as I cancelled on the day they wanted another £32 to reschedule 40 miles away and advised me if that wasn't acceptable to not pay the course and await a letter from the police.

As a side note, I've since learned that different police forces have different periods of grace for late payments - Northamptonshire give 50 days and several warning letters before taking action; whereas my local force (Thames Valley) seem to have zero tolerance over 28 days.

I fully accept my own responsibility in not paying it and letting it slide a couple of weeks before sending my licence off; and happy to pay any fine, but it feels like an awful waste of a time / public money to look over this escalated paperwork when a simple reminder would probably work in most cases.... dry.gif

This post has been edited by bakedbeans: Wed, 15 May 2019 - 10:54

+Quote Post
NewJudge
post Wed, 15 May 2019 - 13:14
Post #9

Member No.: 23,623

QUOTE (bakedbeans @ Wed, 15 May 2019 - 11:53) *
...when a simple reminder would probably work in most cases.... dry.gif

The problem is that you've gone through the usual process of reminders and offers of out-of-court disposals and (as far as they can tell) you have failed to properly respond to them. Their last resort is prosecution through the court and they must do so within six months (i.e about now, depending when in November the offence occurred).They will not run the risk of being unable to take any action at all by allowing you to let the matter slip until it is "out of time".

+Quote Post
squaredeal
post Wed, 15 May 2019 - 21:14
Post #10

No refund was given to me. I paid £93 which included £3.50 flexible booking option but as I cancelled on the day they wanted another £32 to reschedule 40 miles away and advised me if that wasn't acceptable to not pay the course and await a letter from the police.

As a side note, I've since learned that different police forces have different periods of grace for late payments - Northamptonshire give 50 days and several warning letters before taking action; whereas my local force (Thames Valley) seem to have zero tolerance over 28 days.

I fully accept my own responsibility in not paying it and letting it slide a couple of weeks before sending my licence off; and happy to pay any fine, but it feels like an awful waste of a time / public money to look over this escalated paperwork when a simple reminder would probably work in most cases.... dry.gif

You are due a partial refund (£40) which will be credited back to your card. The balance is what the course has cost, and you have forfeited that by not turning up. Escalate this the supervisor / manager if you get no joy when you call. If that fails, contact NDORS.

+Quote Post
bakedbeans
post Wed, 22 May 2019 - 11:15
Post #11

QUOTE (squaredeal @ Wed, 15 May 2019 - 22:14) *

You are due a partial refund (£40) which will be credited back to your card. The balance is what the course has cost, and you have forfeited that by not turning up. Escalate this the supervisor / manager if you get no joy when you call. If that fails, contact NDORS.

Quick update, I phoned them and they refunded me £57.80 without any questions.

This is despite the T&Cs stating no refunds can be given.

So kind thanks stranger laugh.gif

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Wed, 22 May 2019 - 11:38
Post #12

SD works in a camera Team AIUI, none the less is advice is always helpful and constructive.

--------------------

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
squaredeal
post Wed, 22 May 2019 - 18:22
Post #13

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Wed, 22 May 2019 - 12:38) *
SD works in a camera Team AIUI, none the less is advice is always helpful and constructive.

Yes we aren't all heartless imbeciles cool.gif just some of us

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 29th March 2024 - 10:55
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here