Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 101,849

NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? -
Date of the offence: - November 2018
Date of the NIP: - 50 days after the offence
Date you received the NIP: - 51 days after the offence
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): - Cleveden Road / Great Western Road
Was the NIP addressed to you? - Yes
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? - Not known
If your are not the Registered Keeper, what is your relationship to the vehicle? - courtesy car
How many current points do you have? - 3
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons - I believe I was caught by what I have always thought was a red light camera but appears to be a dual speed and red light camera doing 42MPH in a 30.

What I'm wondering is if I have a chance to appeal?

NIP Wizard Responses
These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - No
Is the NIP addressed to you personally? - Yes
Although you are not the Registered Keeper, were you the keeper of the vehicle concerned (the person normally responsible for it) at the time of the alleged offence? - Yes
Were you driving? - Yes
Which country did the alleged offence take place in? - Scotland

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:
  • The law requires you to provide the information requested in the Section 172 notice within the 28 day period, naming yourself as the driver. If you are considering obtaining formal legal advice, do so before returning the notice.

Depending on your circumstances, you may wish to consider completing the form, but returning it unsigned. By doing so there is a risk that you will be convicted under s172, which would attract 6 penalty points and a fine; in most cases this is likely to exceed the penalty for the speeding offence itself.

You should note that there is nothing to be gained by responding any earlier than you have to at any stage of the process. You are likely to receive a Conditional Offer of a Fixed Penalty (COFP) and further reminder(s). If you want to continue the fight, you should ignore all correspondence from the police until you receive a summons. You need to understand from the outset that while you will receive much help and support from members on the forums, you will need to put time and effort into fighting your case and ultimately be prepared to stand up in court to defend yourself.

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v3.3.2: Fri, 11 Jan 2019 23:18:49 +0000

This post has been edited by jacksonmaia: Tue, 15 Jan 2019 - 14:40
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Advertisement
post Fri, 11 Jan 2019 - 23:18
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
peterguk
post Fri, 11 Jan 2019 - 23:40
Post #2

Member No.: 14,720

The revoking of your DL is an automatic administrative event by DVLA, so can't be appealed in court.

Your only option is to go "unsigned" where you complete and return the S.172 but do not sign it. Without your signature it is 99.9% unlikely you will be convicted of the offence. However, do expect the police to come knocking at your door.. You will need to avoid them for 6 months.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jacksonmaia
post Sat, 12 Jan 2019 - 09:10
Post #3

Would that be 6 months from the date of offence?

Do I complete the NIP naming myself? Then ignore any further communications? What should I say if I fail to avoid them and am questioned?

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Sat, 12 Jan 2019 - 14:21
Post #4

Member No.: 317

You complete the response form except for the signature.

Peter is confused on the need to avoid the Police, any verbal response wouldn’t corroborated it wouldn’t be admissible as evidence anyway.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
peterguk
post Sat, 12 Jan 2019 - 14:46
Post #5

Member No.: 14,720

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Sat, 12 Jan 2019 - 14:21) *
You complete the response form except for the signature.

Peter is confused on the need to avoid the Police, any verbal response wouldn’t corroborated it wouldn’t be admissible as evidence anyway.

Not confused. Depends if OP wants the confrontation. If he lives with parents maybe they don't want it either. Example:
http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=77380

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Sat, 12 Jan 2019 - 14:52
Post #6

QUOTE (buellbolt @ Mon, 15 Apr 2013 - 23:18) *
UpdateThey eventually caught up with me and......No pressure to sign, no verbal s172Straight to charged for failing to furnishEven the constable couldn't understand why he wasn't being asked to get me to sign the formThey said they had never heard of anyone being charged for this when the details they had showed I had sent the form back!Just have to wait and see what happens next

That’s not much hassle compared to keeping ‘not being in’ so they keep coming back.....

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
jacksonmaia
post Sat, 12 Jan 2019 - 21:13
Post #7

Thanks for the responses. If I am confronted by the police, what should I say and what should I not say?

If I receive the nip again after sending it unsigned, do I need to send it for a 2nd time? Or can I then ignore it?

Also is it 6 months from the offence or 6 months from sending unsigned nip?

This post has been edited by jacksonmaia: Sat, 12 Jan 2019 - 21:36

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Sun, 13 Jan 2019 - 04:07
Post #8

6 months from date of offence.

If they send it to you again, you again send it back as late as you can within the permitted time, again unsigned.

The first reply you should post back first class from a post office (get free proof of posting) to arrive on the 26th or 27th day from the day the notice was served (which is day 1).

If the Police catch up with you you can tell them verbally anything you like, you just politely decline to sign it, I’d suggest simply telling them that you have replied in accordance with the S172 request and that in Scotland there is no legal requirement to sign it and as such you won’t be.

--------------------

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Sun, 13 Jan 2019 - 10:34
Post #9

Member No.: 42,618

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Sun, 13 Jan 2019 - 04:07) *
If the Police catch up with you you can tell them verbally anything you like...

I'm not so sure about that one, I would think the best course of action would be to say as little as possible, preferably nothing at all.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Sun, 13 Jan 2019 - 11:36
Post #10

If he admitted driving there would be no corroboration, the S172 written request has a specific exemption, but I agree, what I said above would suffice.

--------------------

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
jacksonmaia
post Sun, 13 Jan 2019 - 13:21
Post #11

Thanks guys, I think I will pursue this course of action. One more question, will the fact that I was the only authorised driver on the courtesy car make a difference? As this could be used as evidence maybe?

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Sun, 13 Jan 2019 - 14:05
Post #12

Member No.: 42,618

QUOTE (jacksonmaia @ Sun, 13 Jan 2019 - 13:21) *
Thanks guys, I think I will pursue this course of action. One more question, will the fact that I was the only authorised driver on the courtesy car make a difference? As this could be used as evidence maybe?

Evidence of what? That either you were driving the car, or someone was driving the car without authorisation?

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
andy_foster
post Sun, 13 Jan 2019 - 18:36
Post #13

Group Icon

Group: Life Member
Member No.: 1,624

This is news to me (the second part at least). Would you care to elaborate?

--------------------
Andy

Some people think that I make them feel stupid. To be fair, they deserve most of the credit.

+Quote Post
jacksonmaia
post Sun, 13 Jan 2019 - 23:43
Post #14

QUOTE (cp8759 @ Sun, 13 Jan 2019 - 14:05) *
QUOTE (jacksonmaia @ Sun, 13 Jan 2019 - 13:21) *

Evidence of what? That either you were driving the car, or someone was driving the car without authorisation?

Both I guess... Am I right in guessing it's irrelevant as the whole point is to drag things out for 4 more months so that it's basically timed out

+Quote Post
Logician
post Mon, 14 Jan 2019 - 01:46
Post #15

Member No.: 36,528

You may find that you are prosecuted for s.172, many people have been, but so far in every case the PF has withdrawn the case at the last minute, so you have to hold your nerve.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Mon, 14 Jan 2019 - 02:00
Post #16

QUOTE (andy_foster @ Sun, 13 Jan 2019 - 18:36) *

This is news to me (the second part at least). Would you care to elaborate?

There was a big discussion on here a while back, evidence in Scotland all has to be corroborated, even a confession has to have corroborating evidence, there is a specific exemption for the written S172 response but not for a verbal one, so a verbal S172 response would not be admissible in evidence in Scotland without corroboration, it’s hard to see what corroboration there could be?

--------------------

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
andy_foster
post Mon, 14 Jan 2019 - 20:08
Post #17

Group Icon

Group: Life Member
Member No.: 1,624

The Privy Council (in Brown v Stott, echoing what the High Court of Justiciary said in Foster v Farrell) said that an oral admission to an s. 172 requirement was admissible in Scotland - shall I let them know that they are wrong?

--------------------
Andy

Some people think that I make them feel stupid. To be fair, they deserve most of the credit.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Tue, 15 Jan 2019 - 06:15
Post #18

No, I think they got it right. (My emphasis)
While it must be recognised that the respondent's admission that she was the driver will be an important adminicle of evidence in the Crown case at the trial, the Crown will still require to satisfy the court that the admission was reliable, provide corroboration of the admission

This post has been edited by The Rookie: Tue, 15 Jan 2019 - 06:16

--------------------

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
jacksonmaia
post Fri, 8 Feb 2019 - 13:34
Post #19

UPDATE: On the 2nd I sent NIP back unsigned. Today I have received response with another NIP and another 28 days. With it came a letter. It says:

"I acknowledge receipt of the driver information form wrhich you have partially completed. I would ask that, if you were the driver, you fully complete section A of the form in order that conditional offer of a fixed penalty may be sent to you. The enclosed form must be signed by you in order to preclude the matter being reffered to the procurator fiscal for a contravention fo section 172 of the road traffic act 1988, which would incur a minimum of 6 points and a fine of up to £1000.

If you were not responsible for the alledged offence because someone else was driving or you sold the vehicle prior to the date of offence, you should forward the details of the driver or new keeper"

So... same again? wait 26 days then send back unsigned?

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Fri, 8 Feb 2019 - 16:23
Post #20

That’s what I would do.

You’ll note that they don’t actually say that not signing it is an offence, just that it would be referred to the procurator fiscal..... that doesn’t mean it’s NOT an offence, just they can’t say it IS either as it’s as yet untested in Scotland.

--------------------

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 22:13
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here