PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bus Lane NEWHAM
mystroe
post Sat, 25 Aug 2018 - 19:12
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 91,729

Brief summary- received PCN for bus lane. Appealed on grounds that signs for restrictions lacking. 3 months later Newham respond that signs are fine..

All replies with definitive and concise appeal grounds welcomed.

I don't doubt quite a few motorists have paid up for similar PCNs at this spot.

This post has been edited by mystroe: Sat, 25 Aug 2018 - 19:13
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Advertisement
post Sat, 25 Aug 2018 - 19:12
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
stamfordman
post Sat, 25 Aug 2018 - 19:28
Post #2

Member No.: 59,924

The sign for that stretch has been bent 90 degrees so you can't see it:

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.550184,0.04...3312!8i6656

They will claim it's on a continuous stretch of lane that goes on through the crossing and side road before - but then there is supposed to be a visible sign for any car turning out of the wee road.

If you're down that way go take a pic of the twisted sign.

+Quote Post
PASTMYBEST
post Sat, 25 Aug 2018 - 19:31
Post #3

Member No.: 74,048

Photos on the PCN are clear that the sign is missing So I would continue with that .

One of the vagrancies of the 1996 act is that you can require the signatory of the witness statement that the council submit attend the appeal I would ask that this be so to question them on the accuracy of the cameras clock and calibration also re the missing sign

--------------------
All advice is given freely. It is given without guarantee and responsibility for its use rests with the user

+Quote Post
mystroe
post Sat, 25 Aug 2018 - 19:58
Post #4

QUOTE (stamfordman @ Sat, 25 Aug 2018 - 20:28) *
The sign for that stretch has been bent 90 degrees so you can't see it:

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.550184,0.04...3312!8i6656

They will claim it's on a continuous stretch of lane that goes on through the crossing and side road before - but then there is supposed to be a visible sign for any car turning out of the wee road.

If you're down that way go take a pic of the twisted sign.

This is a black and white case where you're introducing doubt and greyness.. Doesn't really hit home for the lay person trying to make an appeal... Wouldn't it work better if you said: Regulations require a visible sign at the prescribed junction, in absence of a visible sign such and such alleged contravention is without grounds.. ? or if at least not those precise words, but something a bit more encouraging to take on the council?

And despite the above evidence with no visible sign you think I need to now whizz out and take a pic?

+Quote Post
stamfordman
post Sat, 25 Aug 2018 - 20:41
Post #5

QUOTE (mystroe @ Sat, 25 Aug 2018 - 20:58) *
This is a black and white case where you're introducing doubt and greyness..

No, other way around. The black and white case is that they put a sign there and now you can't see it because it's been shunted around the post. They won't know (or check) there is supposed to be a visible sign there unless you tell them.

+Quote Post
Neil B
post Sat, 25 Aug 2018 - 20:59
Post #6

Member No.: 16,671

QUOTE (stamfordman @ Sat, 25 Aug 2018 - 21:41) *
They won't know (or check) there is supposed to be a visible sign there unless you tell them.

Sadly true but they're happy to routinely call the public liars.

Second case there this week.

--------------------
QUOTE (DancingDad @ Fri, 11 May 2018 - 12:30) *
Neil is good at working backwards.

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Sat, 25 Aug 2018 - 21:11
Post #7

Member No.: 42,618

If this goes to the tribunal I would make a claim for costs. It is wholly unreasonable for them to say the bus lane is "clearly signposted"

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
mystroe
post Sat, 25 Aug 2018 - 21:45
Post #8

No, other way around. The black and white case is that they put a sign there and now you can't see it because it's been shunted around the post. They won't know (or check) there is supposed to be a visible sign there unless you tell them.

Presumably you have evidence that it was shunted. OP states "All replies with definitive and concise appeal grounds welcomed."

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Sat, 25 Aug 2018 - 21:53
Post #9

QUOTE (mystroe @ Sat, 25 Aug 2018 - 22:45) *

Presumably you have evidence that it was shunted. OP states "All replies with definitive and concise appeal grounds welcomed."

The evidence is in the council photos, I don't know what further evidence you would need. The concise grounds are that the sign was twisted and out of position, as per the council evidence, therefore the alleged contravention did not occur.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
mystroe
post Sat, 25 Aug 2018 - 22:09
Post #10

QUOTE (cp8759 @ Sat, 25 Aug 2018 - 22:53) *
QUOTE (mystroe @ Sat, 25 Aug 2018 - 22:45) *

The evidence is in the council photos, I don't know what further evidence you would need. The concise grounds are that the sign was twisted and out of position, as per the council evidence, therefore the alleged contravention did not occur.

Thank you CP, like you I can't see how it could be any clearer. Down with those who would cast doubt and let the council steal another innocent poor person's hard earned money. "Helping the motorist get justice"

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Sun, 26 Aug 2018 - 00:12
Post #11

I would still suggest you post a draft of your appeal on here before submitting.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Neil B
post Sun, 26 Aug 2018 - 00:32
Post #12

QUOTE (mystroe @ Sat, 25 Aug 2018 - 23:09) *
Down with those who would cast doubt

I don't see any in the posts so far?

--------------------

+Quote Post
mystroe
post Mon, 27 Aug 2018 - 20:00
Post #13

QUOTE (cp8759 @ Sun, 26 Aug 2018 - 01:12) *
I would still suggest you post a draft of your appeal on here before submitting.
Thanks CP, here is draft appeal. All thoughts appreciated.

Dear ****

Thank you for your letter dated 23rd August 2018 in response to my appeal dated 29th May 2018.

Thank you for pointing out in your letter that the bus lane restrictions are 4pm – 7pm Monday – Friday.

It is my understanding that the regulatory sign to diagram 959/959b should be placed just beyond the side road in this case Manor Park Road. Likewise a sign to diagram 961 including days and times of operations – specifically the bus lane restrictions you have noted. This is in accordance with

• The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2016 Schedule 9 Regulatory signs at Junctions, Part 4 Item 10
• Traffic Signs Manual Chapter 3 Regulatory Signs 15.10 & 15.12

Also it is my understanding that signage should be checked prior to any enforcement action. Given that this was omitted and on your review you have not acknowledged the signage shortcomings I would greatly appreciate remuneration for the expenses of £78.00 I have incurred dealing with this (printing costs, professional consultation, recorded mail etc.)

Lastly as noted in my previous letter, I think it is important that Newham Council make a stronger effort with signage with a view to encouraging bus lane usage out of restricted times to ease traffic congestion – of which Romford Road is notorious.

Yours sincerely

QUOTE (Neil B @ Sun, 26 Aug 2018 - 01:32) *
QUOTE (mystroe @ Sat, 25 Aug 2018 - 23:09) *
Down with those who would cast doubt

I don't see any in the posts so far?

Did you see "a enforcement" or too trivial to mention?

+Quote Post
Neil B
post Mon, 27 Aug 2018 - 20:31
Post #14

QUOTE (mystroe @ Mon, 27 Aug 2018 - 21:00) *
here is draft appeal. All thoughts appreciated.

For clarity, this isn't an 'appeal'.

You first submitted an informal challenge.

Now, when the opportunity arises, this will be your 'formal representations'.
That opportunity comes when you receive the Enforcement Notice.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mystroe
post Mon, 27 Aug 2018 - 20:42
Post #15

QUOTE (Neil B @ Mon, 27 Aug 2018 - 21:31) *

Thanks Neil. You've done a good job with microscopic attention, but perhaps missed the bigger picture. I'm looking for feedback on my appeal or representations or response or follow up or protestations or defence or whatever you want to call it. Do you have any constructive criticism on the body of the content? Something helping the motorist get justice would be appreciated.

+Quote Post
Neil B
post Mon, 27 Aug 2018 - 20:55
Post #16

Dear ****

Thank you for your letter dated 23rd August 2018 in response to my appeal dated 29th May 2018.

Thank you for pointing out in your letter that the bus lane restrictions are 4pm – 7pm Monday – Friday.

It is my understanding that the regulatory sign to diagram 959/959b should be placed just beyond the side road in this case Manor Park Road. Likewise a sign to diagram 961 including days and times of operations – specifically the bus lane restrictions you have noted. This is in accordance with

• The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2016 Schedule 9 Regulatory signs at Junctions, Part 4 Item 10
• Traffic Signs Manual Chapter 3 Regulatory Signs 15.10 & 15.12

Also it is my understanding that signage should be checked prior to any enforcement action. Given that this was omitted and on your review you have not acknowledged the signage shortcomings I would greatly appreciate remuneration for the expenses of £78.00 I have incurred dealing with this (printing costs, professional consultation, recorded mail etc.)

Lastly as noted in my previous letter, I think it is important that Newham Council make a stronger effort with signage with a view to encouraging bus lane usage out of restricted times to ease traffic congestion – of which Romford Road is notorious.

Yours sincerely

The "Dear", "Yours Sincerely" and last sentence are superfluous.
Head it appropriately, e.g. 'Representatations against PCN -------, VRM xxxx xxx.'

Rest is ok but I can't help thinking you should quote and directly challenge their phrase asserting the signs are in place.

You should also be considering the other missing signs for mention.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mystroe
post Mon, 27 Aug 2018 - 21:06
Post #17

QUOTE (Neil B @ Mon, 27 Aug 2018 - 21:55) *
Head it appropriately

Mr Neil - I really appreciate this. Thank you, I will revise with your comments in mind.

+Quote Post
Neil B
post Mon, 27 Aug 2018 - 21:08
Post #18

QUOTE (mystroe @ Mon, 27 Aug 2018 - 21:42) *
QUOTE (Neil B @ Mon, 27 Aug 2018 - 21:31) *

Thanks Neil. You've done a good job with microscopic attention, but perhaps missed the bigger picture. I'm looking for feedback on my appeal or representations or response or follow up or protestations or defence or whatever you want to call it. Do you have any constructive criticism on the body of the content? Something helping the motorist get justice would be appreciated.

We respond as we see fit to be of use to you and others reading.
You will find numerous mentions, from many members, across the forum, of applying the correct terminology.
In general, we encourage the use of the words used in legislation, for each stage of the process, for the sake of uniform clarity.
That is for the benefit of you, those helping and any other readers.

Dictating how I should respond, ditto the member earlier or anyone else, is unlikely to garner good responses.

PS drop the costs mention.

--------------------

+Quote Post
stamfordman
post Mon, 27 Aug 2018 - 21:11
Post #19

As I said, if it were me I'd highlight that the sign isn't missing as that could imply it was never there. It is there, but not visible, so there is a de facto case that the sign is necessary because they put one there.

+Quote Post
mystroe
post Mon, 27 Aug 2018 - 21:25
Post #20

QUOTE (stamfordman @ Mon, 27 Aug 2018 - 22:11) *
As I said, if it were me I'd highlight that the sign isn't missing as that could imply it was never there. It is there, but not visible, so there is a de facto case that the sign is necessary because they put one there.

Just to split hairs Stanford, aren't some signs supplementary and non-regulatory thus not necessary - or more to the point non-regulatory i.e. their pre-existence does not give rise to their ongoing existence? Your angle requires revisiting the site in some shape or form, providing additional evidence which entails time and money to produce. Time and money which is unlikely to be reimbursed. Are you not confident that the enforcing agency's evidence is sufficient?

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Tuesday, 16th April 2024 - 20:22
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here