Jake345
post Wed, 20 Mar 2019 - 20:07
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 101,841

Hello all,

Got a NIP for doing 27 in a so called 20 zone,

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.560254,-0...6384!8i8192

I dont have any excuses really, although 20mph on that stretch of road does not seem reasonable.

I suppose I should fill out the form and hope they offer me a course?

Ive been through the NIP Wizard and it says I should complete and return the forms.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 16)
Advertisement
post Wed, 20 Mar 2019 - 20:07
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Jlc
post Wed, 20 Mar 2019 - 20:20
Post #2

Member No.: 49,223

The limit may be ‘unreasonable’ but if it is correct then your actions are clear.

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
Logician
post Wed, 20 Mar 2019 - 20:22
Post #3

Member No.: 36,528

Unfortunately the limit being unreasonable is not a defence, and not naming the driver will get you 6 points, while for that speed you should be offered a course.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jake345
post Fri, 29 Mar 2019 - 19:53
Post #4

How long does it take to hear back? I posted the letter last friday 22nd and haven't heard anything yet, and im getting paranoid my response is lost in the post.

+Quote Post
roythebus
post Fri, 29 Mar 2019 - 20:16
Post #5

Member No.: 9,683

Up to 6 months I think is the answer.

You'll find all of Hackney and Islington as well as parts of Waltham Forest are 20mph limits.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Fri, 29 Mar 2019 - 20:29
Post #6

Member No.: 317

For 27 in a 20 limit you should expect to hear back in circa 2 weeks, no more than 4.

The 6 years the RTB refers to is to commence proceedings for a court case but there is no reason to believe this will go to court, a course or fixed penalty is much more likely.

This post has been edited by The Rookie: Mon, 1 Apr 2019 - 07:12

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
Korting
post Sun, 31 Mar 2019 - 23:43
Post #7

Member No.: 37,524

Not that it helps you on this occasion, but I was advised and i do, put the car in 2nd gear and poodle along at 10-15mph. Keep a firm eye on your speedometer. Most cars do not like travelling at 20mph, but keeping it in 2nd gear will help you. If you have an automatic, most will allow you to put it in a semi manual mode.

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Mon, 1 Apr 2019 - 12:53
Post #8

Member No.: 90,659

QUOTE (Korting @ Mon, 1 Apr 2019 - 00:43) *
Not that it helps you on this occasion, but I was advised and i do, put the car in 2nd gear and poodle along at 10-15mph. Keep a firm eye on your speedometer. Most cars do not like travelling at 20mph, but keeping it in 2nd gear will help you. If you have an automatic, most will allow you to put it in a semi manual mode.

If you can't drive at a constant speed, maybe consider extra driving lessons. It isn't a difficult skill. Driving at 10mph because you are unable to drive at 20mph is ridiculous, especially now very large areas have 20mph limits.

There is no car on the road that has an inability to drive at 20mph. It's pub talk that it is "impossible" to stick to 20mph limits.

+Quote Post
Irksome
post Tue, 2 Apr 2019 - 16:11
Post #9

Member No.: 38,303

Actually, its very difficult on some motorcycles to ride at 20mph - it is around the speed on some bikes where the cross-over between 'steering' and 'counter-steering' and the gyroscopic effect of the wheels becoming noticeable in terms of the stability of the vehicle.

I beleive there was some research on this very point that suggested that a reduction from 30mph to 20mph increased some elements of risk for PTW, but that it wasn't weighted very heavily (as motorcyclists usually aren't!).

--------------------
PePiPoo will likely close in October due to issues beyond the control of any contributor to this forum.

You are encouraged to seek advice at https://www.ftla.uk/speeding-and-other-criminal-offences/ where the vast majority of the experts here have moved over to already.

+Quote Post
Jake345
post Thu, 4 Apr 2019 - 18:35
Post #10

Reading the FAQ that comes with the original NIP it says that if I am to be offered a course it must be booked within 21 days of the offence which has now passed, so does that mean I will not be offered a course?

Still have not heard anything back from the police so far.

I got the letter from the police on 20th March and posted the reply on 22nd March , offence was on the 13th March

This post has been edited by Jake345: Thu, 4 Apr 2019 - 18:37

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Thu, 4 Apr 2019 - 18:38
Post #11

Member No.: 49,223

QUOTE (Jake345 @ Thu, 4 Apr 2019 - 19:35) *
Reading the FAQ that comes with the original NIP it says that if I am to be offered a course it must be booked within 21 days of the offence which has now passed, so does that mean I will not be offered a course?

That can't be right... Perhaps within 21 days from when they offer it (if they do).

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Thu, 4 Apr 2019 - 19:35
Post #12

Member No.: 90,659

You will almost certainly get the course offer, the police get a tidy little referral fee so if you meet the criteria and its less than four months from the offence they have a strong incentive for you to take it.

You could always call them if you haven't heard anything in a fortnight.

+Quote Post
Jake345
post Sat, 20 Apr 2019 - 07:16
Post #13

Just to update everyone I did get the course offer in the end and this time it says I Need to book the course within 21 days of receiving the offer. ( unlike the original letter which said it had to be booked within 21 days of the offence )

Anyway...

I was on Moneysupermarket filing in details for next years insurance and noticed this site asks specifically "Have you committed any driving offences or had any Fixed Penalty Notices in the last 5 years?" ......

So even though I intend to take the course and wont face a conviction, do I have to answer this question as "yes I have commented an offence" and give the details of a speeding offence?

Ive noticed some comparison sites will only ask if youve had a conviction which is different to the way Moneysupermarket are asking if your committed an offence.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Sat, 20 Apr 2019 - 07:23
Post #14

Member No.: 317

No, the answer is no.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
TonyS
post Sat, 20 Apr 2019 - 07:37
Post #15

Member No.: 60,732

I've seen that question "have you committed any offences" but only on comparison sites, the actual insurance application has always asked about convictions and fixed penalties. So although strictly the answer to "Have you committed any driving offences" should actually be "Yes", what I would do is answer No at that stage but then when choosing an insurer and actually applying, check what their question actually is. A course would only need to be disclosed if they specifically asked.

+Quote Post
Redivi
post Sat, 20 Apr 2019 - 08:05
Post #16

Member No.: 96,238

What exactly does "have you committed any offences?" include if they weren't dealt with by Fixed Penalties

Committed but never caught ?
Dealt with by a course ?
Prosecuted and convicted ?

+Quote Post
BaggieBoy
post Sat, 20 Apr 2019 - 10:46
Post #17

Member No.: 5,183

Pretty sure I commit a speeding offence every time I drive. Should I hand myself in?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 17:22
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here