Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 50,850

NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? -
Date of the offence: - October 2011
Date of the NIP: - 2 days after the offence
Date you received the NIP: - 5 days after the offence
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): - Leisure Centre Car Park, Station Road
Was the NIP addressed to you? - Yes
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? - Not known
If your are not the Registered Keeper, what is your relationship to the vehicle? -
How many current points do you have? - 0
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons - When I finished work last week, and I was pulling out of my parking space, I did not realise the car parked in a space behind me (at right-angles to the space i was reversing out of) had its tow-hitch protruding behind me.
This meant that as I reversed, my bumper scraped the tow hitch, causing my bumper to be scraped.
I got out and checked, pushing my bumper back into position (it was slightly bent, but it is only a plastic bumper nothing soid.), but I could not see any damage to the other car, as it was only the tow hitch that was contacted. Or so I thought at the time. So I simply drove home.

However today I recieved a NIP through the post, my first one ever as I have never been involved in any incidents before. It states that proceedings are contemplated, for an alleged offence of careless/inconsiderate driving.

As I work at the place where the car park was, if the owners had noticed damage then I would have hoped they would simply contact me, as I would never have driven off had I noticed I had done any damage. I did not try to run away from responsibility, as I even mentioned at the time to someone I knew who was walking by that nothing seemed to be damaged, apart from my own scrape.

In hindsight I should have gone back inside to find the owners and explain, but having no experience in this before it did not occur to me that it would be necessary. Obviously I made a mistake in this, but now I am worried that I will get the book thrown at me over a minor incident.

I am also worried about other things I have read, like "failing to report" and "failing to stop". However the NIP only mentions "careless/inconsiderate driving".

I would appreciate any help or advice you can give... if I damage the other car then obviously I would expect my insurance pay out, I am more worried about serious criminal charges sad.gif

NIP Wizard Responses
These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - Yes
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? - Yes
Although you are the Registered Keeper, were you also the keeper of the vehicle concerned (the person normally responsible for it) at the time of the alleged offence? - Yes
Were you driving? - Yes
Which country did the alleged offence take place in? - England

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:
  • The law requires you to provide the information requested in the Section 172 notice within the 28 day period, naming yourself as the driver. If you are considering obtaining formal legal advice, do so before returning the notice.

You should note that there is nothing to be gained by responding any earlier than you have to at any stage of the process. You are likely to receive a Conditional Offer of a Fixed Penalty (COFP) and further reminder(s). If you want to continue the fight, you should ignore all correspondence from the police until you receive a summons. You need to understand from the outset that while you will receive much help and support from members on the forums, you will need to put time and effort into fighting your case and ultimately be prepared to stand up in court to defend yourself.

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v3.3.2: Fri, 04 Nov 2011 21:47:49 +0000
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Start new topic
Replies (20 - 23)
Advertisement
post Fri, 4 Nov 2011 - 21:47
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Nirurin
post Sat, 5 Nov 2011 - 19:28
Post #21

Yes I was unsure about getting the number through work, however asking the police to pass my details on to the owner is a very good idea thankyou smile.gif if anyone could help me to phrase my letter correctly, so that I can include it with the S172, I would very much appreciate it.

Edit: Have just been in touch with insurance company, given the details of the accident and they will be getting the underwriter to contact me in the next couple of days.

This post has been edited by Nirurin: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 - 20:51

+Quote Post
Nirurin
post Sat, 5 Nov 2011 - 23:55
Post #22

Couple of more questions.. showing how clueless I am.

First off, I am trying to think what to write in my cover letter that I'd include with the S172 form. Im not sure what the best course of action is, wether to simply write that I was unaware of any damage caused at the time, and I would be grateful if the police would pass on my details or put me in touch with the other driver. Or I dont know... some other wording.

Another thing I wanted to check, as far as payment for solicitors costs, I believe my car insurance (highway insurance) says that they cover me for "reasonable legal costs" as standard with my insurance.. is this likely? Or am i misunderstanding

edit: Also, is there any particular type of solicitor I should contact in the initial stages, with regards to contacting the police on my behalf?

This post has been edited by Nirurin: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 - 00:00

+Quote Post
jobo
post Sun, 6 Nov 2011 - 00:45
Post #23

Member No.: 16,521

QUOTE (Nirurin @ Sat, 5 Nov 2011 - 23:55) *
Couple of more questions.. showing how clueless I am.

First off, I am trying to think what to write in my cover letter that I'd include with the S172 form. Im not sure what the best course of action is, wether to simply write that I was unaware of any damage caused at the time, and I would be grateful if the police would pass on my details or put me in touch with the other driver. Or I dont know... some other wording.

Another thing I wanted to check, as far as payment for solicitors costs, I believe my car insurance (highway insurance) says that they cover me for "reasonable legal costs" as standard with my insurance.. is this likely? Or am i misunderstanding

edit: Also, is there any particular type of solicitor I should contact in the initial stages, with regards to contacting the police on my behalf?

give BB law a message, he will point you in the right direction of a solicitor and give you an idea of cost re letter

ring the insurance and ask them what it covers, id be surprised if it includes this, but you never know

deiced if your going to right your own letter or pay, then we can design it if its you doing it

--------------------
jobo

anyone but Murray, Wish granted for another year,

+Quote Post
Nirurin
post Sun, 6 Nov 2011 - 01:09
Post #24

thankyou jobo, I will message BBLaw and ask him

A solicitors letter might be the better way to go, though it does feel like im over defending myself.. I kinda feel like a personal letter explaining I made a mistake and to please pass my details to the other party seems more honest, if that makes sense?
However if it is recommended to go through a solicitor, then it is the route I will take, as I am aware the "personal touch" does not carry much weight in the overworked police force as they have a lot to deal with.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Monday, 20th January 2020 - 06:04
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.