PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

"No loading" exemptions for specific types of goods
m7891
post Fri, 15 Feb 2019 - 17:50
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 56,508

A road I use every morning has a section with double yellow lines on each side with associated "No Loading" restrictions from 8am-9.30am and again 4.30pm-6pm. The reasons for this are obvious - it's a busy road in both directions during the AM and PM peaks so it should be free of obstructions.

It's not uncommon though to be held up by a van delivering milk to a shop and a lorry delivering barrels to a pub across the street, both at the same time leaving only a single-vehicle width lane down the middle of the road. It happened today.

By chance after parking up this morning, I encountered a CEO further up the road. I figured there was nothing to lose asking him about the restriction. His answer was that certain vehicles have exemptions based on what they're delivering - so because milk is perishable, the driver can stop as close as he needs to the shop regardless of the restriction.

Does that sound right? I can't say I've ever heard of that before, and to me the more obvious answer is: make the delivery before 8am. It seems bizarre that a restriction can exist in order to keep traffic flowing, unless it happens to be milk that's being delivered. I'm also wondering why beer in barrels can be defined as "perishable".

I'm going to get a copy of the TRO to see if it's explicitly mentioned in there. But even if not, can a council still exercise discretion as to which vehicles are and aren't issued with a PCN?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
Advertisement
post Fri, 15 Feb 2019 - 17:50
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
cp8759
post Fri, 15 Feb 2019 - 17:57
Post #2

Member No.: 42,618

QUOTE (m7891 @ Fri, 15 Feb 2019 - 17:50) *
But even if not, can a council still exercise discretion as to which vehicles are and aren't issued with a PCN?

A council always has a discretion not to enforce. Businesses can also apply for a parking dispensation.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
DastardlyDick
post Fri, 15 Feb 2019 - 19:27
Post #3

Member No.: 54,871

As cp says, all Councils can exercise discretion. In London, on Red Routes, various companies have a "memorandum of understanding" with TfL which allows them to stop on Double Red Lines to make deliveries.
Beer deliveries get exemptions because the barrels are heavy, glaziers do too, as do Cash in Transit vehicles.

+Quote Post
m7891
post Sun, 17 Feb 2019 - 13:10
Post #4

Member No.: 56,508

You learn something new every day.

It does seem odd, though, that an exemption would be granted to this particular restriction when it’s a time-limited one. Is it not more logical to say that if you want to deliver perishables, so do before 8am or after 9.30am? It kind of defeats the purpose of the time-limit otherwise.

Obviously if it were a 24hr restriction it would be different.

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Sun, 17 Feb 2019 - 13:17
Post #5

Member No.: 38,559

QUOTE (m7891 @ Sun, 17 Feb 2019 - 13:10) *
You learn something new every day.

It does seem odd, though, that an exemption would be granted to this particular restriction when it’s a time-limited one. Is it not more logical to say that if you want to deliver perishables, so do before 8am or after 9.30am? It kind of defeats the purpose of the time-limit otherwise.

Obviously if it were a 24hr restriction it would be different.

Delivery only before or after a time would apply to many deliveries but a milk or beer wagon doing a round of deliveries might be hard pressed.

+Quote Post
stamfordman
post Sun, 17 Feb 2019 - 14:41
Post #6

Member No.: 59,924

As Dr Feelgood didn't quite say, "They didn't get him on milk and alcohol".

+Quote Post
Guest_Charlie1010_*
post Tue, 19 Feb 2019 - 18:55
Post #7

Guests

Lee Brilleaux

This post has been edited by Charlie1010: Tue, 19 Feb 2019 - 18:58
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 11:32
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here