Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

M6/M42 Southbound Gantry Camera Flash
Carlos Fandango
post Tue, 11 Sep 2018 - 15:54
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 99,826

Good Afternoon All,

I'd like to share an experience I had on Friday evening. Driving to Luton from Cheshire, most of the M6 is reduced at average 50 MPH due to the never ending "Smart Motorway" upgrades. It was nice to see the overhead sign claiming the M6 Toll was clear, so I chose to take it.

This was at 9.10pm, checking the M6 Toll Website today it says that there will be Overnight Road works between 9pm-6am from 12th March for the next 2 years. As I drove along the toll, there were overhead road works being set up, so the claim by the overhead sign was, in my opinion not correct.

Emerging from the toll booth, the next thing you encounter are three overhead gantries which span the 3 lanes of the M6 and the two lanes of the M42 slip road. The first gantry had a warning of "Workforce In The Road", lanes 2 & 3 were marked out of action and the others had a 50 speed limit. I observed this and could not see any obstruction, or any emergency vehicles or flashing lights. Continuing at 50mph, the next overhead gantry was now displaying 20mph.
Again there was no evidence of anyone in the road or any warning vehicles (it is a very wide road with the M42 slip as well). At that point, it is fair to say, I found the warnings incredibly misleading.

At this point I hit the resume on my cruise control which was set to 50mph. The final gantry, which is in the next Average 50mph section was set at 40mph. The time was now 9.30(ish) and the traffic was very light. As I drove under the gantry, I could see a couple of workmen moving comes from the barrier to cone off lanes 2 and 3. There was no vehicle with them and I thought how dangerous that is for them. I also became aware of two flashes behind to my left, looked at the speed and was at 50mph on the cruise control.

I'm happy to admit that I made a mistake but I can't help feeling that the lack of a vehicle with orange flashing lights plus the wildly fluctuating speed settings and the M6 Toll sign announcing it was clear is very annoying.

There is no NIP as yet, but if (or when) one arrives does they rather disorganized sign situation give me any cause to fight it?

I (currently) have a clean licence, no convictions in over 20 years of driving and I drive 22,000 miles per year.

Thank you in advance for your help,
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Start new topic
Replies (20 - 21)
Jlc
post Fri, 21 Sep 2018 - 11:47
Post #21

Member No.: 49,223

Seems like you weren't caught...

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
Advertisement
post Fri, 21 Sep 2018 - 11:47
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Carlos Fandango
post Thu, 27 Sep 2018 - 13:20
Post #22

Member No.: 99,826

QUOTE (Jlc @ Fri, 21 Sep 2018 - 12:47) *
Seems like you weren't caught...

I think you might be right, I have not received anything by post.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 23:55
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here