Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Not sure if I got caught, Speeding
GORDY7
post Sun, 19 Apr 2020 - 08:16
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 108,513

Hi all

So I have just recently passed my test and a week into into it I decided to test myself on motorway in UK M3 (J3) the roads were clear and clear conditions day I decided to to go 100mph - I know this was silly but I wanted to see if I could do it - as soon as I reached 100 I went back down to 70 speed limit - now my issue is I saw a speed camera sign when doing this - I saw no flash or anything - was I caught?
The stretch of road is a smart motorway - but the screens were blank and appeared off - were speed cameras working here?

Also I have been checking my license on GOV.UK and it says 0 points under fine and penalties.
How often is this site updated with penalties?
The event happened 30th March - so it had been 14 days and I have not received a NIP

I’m just wondering what people think here? Have I avoided this?

Iam very worried as I’m new driver and will be revoked if caught

Thanks
James

This post has been edited by GORDY7: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 - 08:17
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Advertisement
post Sun, 19 Apr 2020 - 08:16
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Jlc
post Sun, 19 Apr 2020 - 08:27
Post #2

Member No.: 49,223

QUOTE (GORDY7 @ Sun, 19 Apr 2020 - 09:16) *
The stretch of road is a smart motorway - but the screens were blank and appeared off - were speed cameras working here?

Even if signs are off the majority of camera systems enforce the NSL. You don't say which motorway this was?

Also I have been checking my license on GOV.UK and it says 0 points under fine and penalties.
How often is this site updated with penalties?

Points are not awarded that quickly - if you didn't get the notification (e.g. wrong address on the V5C) then it would take many months to go to court and for you to be convicted without knowledge.

The event happened 30th March - so it had been 14 days and I have not received a NIP

If you are the registered keeper then it appears you have not been caught.

I’m just wondering what people think here? Have I avoided this?

It seems so, subject to being the registered keeper.

Major motorways are littered with speed cameras - you'll be having your licence revoked quite quickly if you don't abide by the limits. You are obviously aware of the 6 point limit as you are a new driver.

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
GORDY7
post Sun, 19 Apr 2020 - 08:34
Post #3

Thanks for response

I believe I mentioned it M3 Junction 3 - i looked up the new driver thing after the event as wasn’t aware of new driver 2 year thing where 6 points you banned.

I picked up my car on the last day the car showroom were closing for lockdown - so picked up car in a rush - It did not have a logbook with it - I have only just found this out - I have tried contacting them about this - however they haven’t got back to me - surely me purchasing the new vehicle i would be the registered keeper?

Obviously I take in the chin whatever comes - but I’m hoping I have avoided it
Thanks again

This post has been edited by GORDY7: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 - 08:36

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Sun, 19 Apr 2020 - 09:07
Post #4

Member No.: 317

You’ll eventually be the registered keeper, but if the paperwork hasn’t been sent to DVLA (virtually or in the post) and them actioned it you, you won’t yet be showing as such.

You’ll know it’s happened when you get the V5c registration document in the post.

This post has been edited by The Rookie: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 - 11:51

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
TryOut
post Sun, 19 Apr 2020 - 09:19
Post #5

Member No.: 103,734

I’m not sure why the notion that speed cameras won’t work or be used on a motorway when NSL is in force persists. Perhaps the OP or someone else can explain.

Maybe HighwYs England and the police need to promote this more clearly than they already do.

For the OP, your car is most likely not listed with you as the registered keeper. As such there is no need to even issue an NIP to you as RTOA section 2 applies. You will get one I have no doubt but you cannot rely on getting one after 14 days as a defence.

The cameras don’t have to flash during the day time and there is an option to disable the flash in daylight. It is however normal for the flash to be selected to enabled.

You may have missed the flash or no camera was triggered. At this time your predictions, as those of others, can be no better than 50/50.

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Sun, 19 Apr 2020 - 09:45
Post #6

QUOTE (GORDY7 @ Sun, 19 Apr 2020 - 09:34) *
I believe I mentioned it M3 Junction 3 - i looked up the new driver thing after the event as wasn’t aware of new driver 2 year thing where 6 points you banned.

If you get 6 points the DVLA revokes your licence automatically, not banned.

I picked up my car on the last day the car showroom were closing for lockdown - so picked up car in a rush - It did not have a logbook with it - I have only just found this out - I have tried contacting them about this - however they haven’t got back to me - surely me purchasing the new vehicle i would be the registered keeper?

This changes things a lot - It depends on how the showroom sorted the ownership. They can use 'immediate' update or apply via the post. So there's a chance if you were caught and they look up the RK then your details would not be returned.

You will receive a V5C in the post at some point and this will have the date the DVLA marked you as the RK. (Which is potentially later than the purchase date)

Obviously I take in the chin whatever comes - but I’m hoping I have avoided it

I presume you saw signs like this?

My understanding is there's an average speed camera setup in that area - an example here.

They do not measure instantaneous speeds but by an average between 2 camera's. So even if you were speeding you'd need to average 79mph or over to be pursued. If you hit 100mph for a short time then even if caught you'd probably be in fixed penalty territory (3 points £100) as the average will be much less than 100mph.

QUOTE (TryOut @ Sun, 19 Apr 2020 - 10:19) *
I’m not sure why the notion that speed cameras won’t work or be used on a motorway when NSL is in force persists. Perhaps the OP or someone else can explain.
Maybe HighwYs England and the police need to promote this more clearly than they already do.

Promoting that one shouldn't be exceeding 70mph? Everyone knows that already! (People tend to speed on the basis they won't get caught)

QUOTE (TryOut @ Sun, 19 Apr 2020 - 10:19) *
You will get one I have no doubt

How do you figure that?

This post has been edited by Jlc: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 - 09:47

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
BaggieBoy
post Sun, 19 Apr 2020 - 10:12
Post #7

Member No.: 5,183

There is a fixed 50 MPH limit (enforced with average speed cameras) through J2 southbound and exiting off the M25. However the OP says J3 which is indeed enforced by HADECS 3 cameras.

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Sun, 19 Apr 2020 - 10:19
Post #8

QUOTE (BaggieBoy @ Sun, 19 Apr 2020 - 11:12) *
However the OP says J3 which is indeed enforced by HADECS 3 cameras.

Ok, if passed a HADECS 3 camera then it is instantaneous speed that matters.

EDIT: Indeed, here's one. (The box at the side of the gantry)

This post has been edited by Jlc: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 - 10:22

--------------------

+Quote Post
GORDY7
post Sun, 19 Apr 2020 - 10:47
Post #9

Yeah I definitely passed them - just heard rumours they may be off of smart motorways weren’t on - I will contact DVLA tomorrow to see if the dealership sent if a V5 to register me up - but it’s possible I guess I’m not registered so wouldn’t know ?

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Sun, 19 Apr 2020 - 10:51
Post #10

If you passed a HADECS 3 at a ton then it's almost certain you've been caught.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GORDY7
post Sun, 19 Apr 2020 - 11:04
Post #11

Yeah definitely HADECS Cameras - so I’m screwed then basically

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Sun, 19 Apr 2020 - 11:47
Post #12

Define screwed. But if caught at that speed then your licence is almost certain to be revoked (eventually). Revocation is a temporary measure where you can apply for your licence back.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Sun, 19 Apr 2020 - 11:55
Post #13

I think the myth that the NSL isn’t enforced comes from the early days of speed cameras, the Police initially didn’t enforce the NSL on motorways, presumably on the basis that they were the safest roads and it may garner negative publicity, it was only when the ‘safety partnerships’ started rolling out more varied use due the start monitoring motorways, then once we had smart motorways with camera enforcement it made sense to leave them on all the time, and by then cameras had been ‘accepted) much more.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
GORDY7
post Sun, 19 Apr 2020 - 12:05
Post #14

Having a 2 year ban is screwed in my eyes - after just passing - I’m gutted and disappointed in myself.

Just thought as I haven’t had NIP year (over 14 days) I may have got lucky - but it may just be I have been registered keeper yet. Hence asking how quickly the GOV website updates penalties

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Sun, 19 Apr 2020 - 12:12
Post #15

It’s not a two year ban, you’ve not read up properly.

The DVLA can only be aware of a penalty once a fixed penalty is offered and accepted or the case gone to court. There is no automatic penalty, and as they haven’t a clue who was driving (obviously) it should be obvious why not.

Less needless worrying, more reading.

That said, bloody moronic thing to do really.

This post has been edited by The Rookie: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 - 12:14

--------------------

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
GORDY7
post Sun, 19 Apr 2020 - 12:17
Post #16

Yeah I mean revoked when I say ban - 2 years is a bloody longtime

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Sun, 19 Apr 2020 - 12:18
Post #17

QUOTE (GORDY7 @ Sun, 19 Apr 2020 - 13:17) *
Yeah I mean revoked when I say ban - 2 years is a bloody longtime

The purpose of the New Drivers Act is to ensure new drivers abide by the necessary traffic laws and those who do not lose the privilege of driving albeit temporarily. (Unless hitting 12 points)

This post has been edited by Jlc: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 - 12:20

--------------------

+Quote Post
post Sun, 19 Apr 2020 - 12:18
Post #18

Member No.: 47,602

QUOTE (GORDY7 @ Sun, 19 Apr 2020 - 13:05) *
Having a 2 year ban is screwed in my eyes - after just passing - I’m gutted and disappointed in myself.

Just thought as I haven’t had NIP year (over 14 days) I may have got lucky - but it may just be I have been registered keeper yet. Hence asking how quickly the GOV website updates penalties

You won't get a ban.

If you get 6 points, then shortly afterwards you will get a letter from DVLA telling you your licence is revoked. You can then immediately apply for a new provisional licence, and then book and take your tests again. With a bit of luck and flexibility, you can have your full licence back quite quickly.

But you'll find insurance expensive.

+Quote Post
GORDY7
post Sun, 19 Apr 2020 - 13:36
Post #19

I was under the impression if your license gets revoked - it’s 2 years before you can retake theory and test again - not soon after ?

+Quote Post
BaggieBoy
post Sun, 19 Apr 2020 - 13:40
Post #20

Member No.: 5,183

Nope you can apply for a new provisional licence and arrange theory and practical tests ASAP, although due to ongoing crisis tests may not available.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 10:29
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here