Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

A1, Grantham Temporary 50mph NIP
iFlip92
post Wed, 19 May 2021 - 14:42
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 97,290

Hello,
I received a NIP because I was going 74mph in a temporary 50mph. They took a picture and I am wondering if I can contest it on the grounds of the sign appearing in the picture. Aside from looking like it's flimsy and could be blown away, it is also inline with the camera therefore not giving me enough time to slow down. Additionally, no road work cones of any sort aside from next to the sign. Any thoughts and advice please?

I would add that the location is not specified very well so I am having difficulty locating where this happened.

I have been provided with the Calibration certificate for the camera online, but the annual inspection date due on it is 27/05/2021 and my offence happened on 16/05/2021 (so perhaps close to being decalibrated?). Any grounds here? How do I ask to see the previous year's certificate?

Attached Image

This post has been edited by iFlip92: Wed, 19 May 2021 - 15:01
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Start new topic
Replies (20 - 32)
Advertisement
post Wed, 19 May 2021 - 14:42
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
The Rookie
post Fri, 28 May 2021 - 21:41
Post #21

Member No.: 317

Is that more wrong than people ignoring the temporary restriction then?

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
iFlip92
post Fri, 28 May 2021 - 22:45
Post #22

That will depend who you ask. At the end of the day, many of these drivers slapped with this camera were minding their own business, going in a straight line at what they judged is an appropriate speed given the road conditions, their car capabilities and their skills and no hazards, ie. other cars or people around these roadworks. And all that gets disrupted for no good reason, by a device paid for by the our own money paid as taxes. Don't even get me started on these points staying on a licence for 3 years. Whoever made that rule up needs shooting. Most of EU is 1 year or less. Some countries have totting up at 20 points! Good thing I have dual citizenship so I can keep converting my licence back and forth.

This post has been edited by iFlip92: Fri, 28 May 2021 - 22:51

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Fri, 28 May 2021 - 23:15
Post #23

Member No.: 18,483

QUOTE (iFlip92 @ Fri, 28 May 2021 - 23:45) *
Good thing I have dual citizenship so I can keep converting my licence back and forth.

You understand that if you’re disqualified from driving in the UK then it doesn’t matter if you have another licence - you’re still disqualified.

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Sat, 29 May 2021 - 08:05
Post #24

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (iFlip92 @ Fri, 28 May 2021 - 23:45) *
That will depend who you ask. At the end of the day, many of these drivers slapped with this camera were minding their own business, going in a straight line at what they judged is an appropriate speed given the road conditions, their car capabilities and their skills and no hazards,.

This is your problem, there may well be hazards drivers can’t see which is why the limit is set lower, they drive at what they THINK is a safe speed and may not be.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
iFlip92
post Sat, 29 May 2021 - 09:54
Post #25

If I was the first guy to drive there during midnight hours I'd understand. But this is a busy highway we're talking about that's packed to death so it's been "curated" before my arrival.
I've been driving for 10+ years cross-country, internationally and in motorsport. Can't say I ever slowed down too much in roadworks, no matter the location, apart from in Germany where the lanes really really narrow during roadworks and I've never had a problem or a camera through them until now. I find that baffling and scummy from whatever the council is for that area.

Plus your argument still doesn't warrant the need for a camera. By all means set the limit to lower, but don't micro-manage people.

This post has been edited by iFlip92: Sat, 29 May 2021 - 09:57

+Quote Post
morrisman
post Sat, 29 May 2021 - 10:23
Post #26

Member No.: 14,668

QUOTE (iFlip92 @ Sat, 29 May 2021 - 10:54) *
Plus your argument still doesn't warrant the need for a camera. By all means set the limit to lower, but don't micro-manage people.

So have lower limits but don't enforce them?

+Quote Post
NewJudge
post Sat, 29 May 2021 - 11:29
Post #27

Member No.: 23,623

When you began this thread you asked for advice. You asked if you could (presumably successfully) challenge the speeding matter and you mentioned a number of grounds: the sign itself (being “flimsy”); the positioning of the camera (not giving you sufficient time to slow down); no cones being present; the calibration certificate having only eleven days to run before expiry.

It has been explained to you that none of those grounds is likely to see a successful challenge. Since then you’ve expanded the debate into a general one around speeding enforcement in the UK. The bottom line is you’ve been captured exceeding the speed limit. If you don’t fanny about too much you will be offered a fixed penalty of £100 and three points (provided you did not have more than eight active points at the time of the offence). If you mess about you will see the matter dealt with in court where the likely penalty will be six points or a short ban (enforceable whatever licences you hold) and a much heavier financial penalty.

+Quote Post
baroudeur
post Sat, 29 May 2021 - 11:37
Post #28

Member No.: 73,212

QUOTE (IanJohnsonWS14 @ Fri, 28 May 2021 - 11:09) *
QUOTE (iFlip92 @ Fri, 28 May 2021 - 08:29) *
Yes I do rely on Waze. I'm still baffled why we keep having 70mph limits considering the capabilities of cars nowadays and that in the EU you can travel at 120kph since forever which is closer to 80mph.

There is another assumption that May get you another ticket. France are reducing many of the 130s to 110 and the limit on single carriageway roads has gone down from 90 to 80, last time I was there some of the signs hadn’t been changed.

France has not reduced many of the 130 km/h to 100. When the 90 limit was reduced to 80 new signs were in place before penalties were issued. As the 89/90 limit is a national speed limit it only require signs where the limit reduces from a higher one.

If you are really interested in French limits try this website

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Sat, 29 May 2021 - 11:41
Post #29

Member No.: 42,618

QUOTE (iFlip92 @ Fri, 28 May 2021 - 21:52) *
One of my main gripes with it is that while they may be long-term roadworks, they're still a temporary thing, and they spend tax-payer money putting up fixed cameras in zones of temporary speed restrictions. That's just so wrong.

Why is it wrong? Surely limits should either be properly enforced, or not be there at all?

It would be far more wrong to spend taxpayer's money on speed limit signs if everyone could ignore them with impunity. Personally I'd like to see the national speed limit abolished, but as long as it exists I can hardly complain that it is occasionally enforced.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
TryOut
post Sat, 29 May 2021 - 13:41
Post #30

Member No.: 103,734

QUOTE (iFlip92 @ Sat, 29 May 2021 - 10:54) *
If I was the first guy to drive there during midnight hours I'd understand. But this is a busy highway we're talking about that's packed to death so it's been "curated" before my arrival.
I've been driving for 10+ years cross-country, internationally and in motorsport. Can't say I ever slowed down too much in roadworks, no matter the location, apart from in Germany where the lanes really really narrow during roadworks and I've never had a problem or a camera through them until now. I find that baffling and scummy from whatever the council is for that area.

There is no ‘argument’ for a camera, it’s there to deal with those who don’t drive lawfully, that appears to describe you.
The cameras at Grantham are Jenoptik radar speedmeters. The speed limit is adequately signed.

+Quote Post
Rallyman72
post Tue, 1 Jun 2021 - 18:41
Post #31

Member No.: 3,385

QUOTE (iFlip92 @ Fri, 28 May 2021 - 14:55) *
There needs to be a way to question these limits and why they're put there. The fact nobody is on the road, the road isn't narrower, normal lane sizes, so why the hell is there a 50?

In the context I can't imagine what councils and police will do when self-driving cars arrive and there's nobody to fine.

Also, just pop police pins in Waze over there now so they do to catch Wazers any more. I've already done so today on the other side. Hope it helps.

Actually, having driven through there again on Sunday, I was going to a motorsport event at which I was officiating, and having another video file of the roadworks there are plenty of signs and the lanes ARE narrower than normal due to the concrete barriers together with a temporary deviation of the road with a 'wiggle' left and right.

I suggest you stop digging an even bigger hole for yourself.

This post has been edited by Rallyman72: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 - 18:47

--------------------
The accident was caused by cockpit thrombosis - a dangerous clot between seatback and steering wheel ...

1. Read this first
2. Nip Wizard
Parking tickets - council - 0, Rallyman - 1

+Quote Post
Logician
post Tue, 1 Jun 2021 - 19:55
Post #32

Member No.: 36,528

QUOTE (iFlip92 @ Fri, 28 May 2021 - 21:52) *
One of my main gripes with it is that while they may be long-term roadworks, they're still a temporary thing, and they spend tax-payer money putting up fixed cameras in zones of temporary speed restrictions. That's just so wrong.

You started off by saying that the temporary speed limit sign was too flimsy and could be blown away, and now you move on to complaining that the camera is the opposite, you are not easy to please, are you?

Anyway, cameras can easily be moved around, that one looks as though it is bolted to a gantry and others can be moved leaving just a concrete base.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Irksome
post Fri, 17 Sep 2021 - 16:20
Post #33

Member No.: 38,303

I think I may have good news for you!

The TRO was invalid!

Anoyingly my run in with this camera was before the TRO expired!

--------------------
PePiPoo will likely close in October due to issues beyond the control of any contributor to this forum.

You are encouraged to seek advice at https://www.ftla.uk/speeding-and-other-criminal-offences/ where the vast majority of the experts here have moved over to already.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 29th March 2024 - 15:35
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here