Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Police checked tyres, Split from hijacked thread
MrMod
post Wed, 19 May 2021 - 02:33
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 112,719

Hello

I had the exact same issue a few days ago where police pulled me over for speeding but could not prove that so ignored it and went over to look at my tyres

One of the the front tyres looked rather bad with cracks and low tread - since they were regular police offers and not traffic officers they could not test the tread so just took some photo's and said that they will create a report and I would get a letter through the post of the outcome.

However, the officer did mention that there is a chance the report does not fall through and I do not hear anything back?

Are the fines of £2,500 and 3 points true or is that a maximum penalty ?
What can I be prepared for exactly?
Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 13)
Advertisement
post Wed, 19 May 2021 - 02:33
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Ahelpinggand
post Wed, 19 May 2021 - 08:31
Post #2

Member No.: 110,385

Likely a FPN £100 3 points

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Wed, 19 May 2021 - 09:24
Post #3

Member No.: 317

3 points is a dead cert, the £2500 is the maximum if it goes to court but vanishingly unlikely even if your case did go to court as the fine will have a starting point of 100% of your weekly take home pay less any discount for an early guilty plea.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
peodude
post Wed, 19 May 2021 - 09:50
Post #4

Member No.: 7,035

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Wed, 19 May 2021 - 10:24) *
3 points is a dead cert, the £2500 is the maximum if it goes to court but vanishingly unlikely even if your case did go to court as the fine will have a starting point of 100% of your weekly take home pay less any discount for an early guilty plea.

If you dispute that the tyre is illegal then you can take it to a tyre garage or MOT station, and if it is legal, get a report off them. You can then show this to the court. If it is illegal, then obvously you need to change it ASAP.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Wed, 19 May 2021 - 10:16
Post #5

Indeed, can you share photos similar to what the Police would have so we can make some level of judgement. Unqualified cops are notorious for not having a clue!

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
surfer91919
post Wed, 19 May 2021 - 12:46
Post #6

Member No.: 100,970

I've often wondered where the buck stops with this.
I bought a tyre gauge from halfords and could see just by eye that the 1.6mm mark was actually reading more like 2+ mm. I measured it a bit more accurately and sure enough the gauge says the tyre is at 1.6mm when there is actually 2.1mm of tread. You have to hope the traffic cops have more accurate gauges than this! Tyre places routinely try to tell me the tyres is illegal when there's very noticeable treat left above the wear indicator blocks too.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Wed, 19 May 2021 - 13:40
Post #7

Eh? I think you contradicted yourself there, can you make that clearer?

Most manufacturers put the warning blocks at 2mm so that if you're the sort of person who only changes when they show you'll still stay legal at over 1.6mm. Don't forget that 1.6mm is the EU limit, the same tyre goes worldwide.

As for 'tyre places' wanting you to change tyres before legally required, they of course have no incentive to do that do they - oh wait, of course they do!

This post has been edited by The Rookie: Wed, 19 May 2021 - 13:51

--------------------

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
Gerfc1
post Wed, 19 May 2021 - 15:29
Post #8

Member No.: 78,384

You could share the photo with us so we can tell if the tyre is legal or not to make your mind at ease.

The gauge bought from Halfords is accurate as anywhere.

When you said your tyre is more than 2mm, that is legal. If you put one of your finger in the groove and move along until you can feel the warning block, that is legal.
If you can see the warning block is lower than the height of the tyre, that is legal.

The question with the crack, it is bit complicated so it is better to send the photo to us.

+Quote Post
post Wed, 19 May 2021 - 16:34
Post #9

Member No.: 47,602

QUOTE (Gerfc1 @ Wed, 19 May 2021 - 16:29) *
You could share the photo with us so we can tell if the tyre is legal or not to make your mind at ease.

The gauge bought from Halfords is accurate as anywhere.

When you said your tyre is more than 2mm, that is legal. If you put one of your finger in the groove and move along until you can feel the warning block, that is legal.
If you can see the warning block is lower than the height of the tyre, that is legal.

The question with the crack, it is bit complicated so it is better to send the photo to us.

It is legal only if the minimum tread extends around the whole circumference and across the central 75%.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Wed, 19 May 2021 - 17:19
Post #10

Caution, the OP said nothing of the sort, this is a different poster talking of 2mm.

--------------------

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
surfer91919
post Tue, 21 Sep 2021 - 14:03
Post #11

Member No.: 100,970

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Wed, 19 May 2021 - 14:40) *

Most manufacturers put the warning blocks at 2mm so that if you're the sort of person who only changes when they show you'll still stay legal at over 1.6mm. Don't forget that 1.6mm is the EU limit, the same tyre goes worldwide.

As for 'tyre places' wanting you to change tyres before legally required, they of course have no incentive to do that do they - oh wait, of course they do!

I can't see a contradiction?
I was just saying that the halfords tread depth indicator indicates that a tyre has 1.6mm of tread left when there is actually 2.1mm remaining. I checked this with a digital Vernier caliper. As I said the hope the police one is better calibrated than this!

+Quote Post
BluntyMcCrow2
post Tue, 21 Sep 2021 - 14:36
Post #12

Member No.: 113,431

QUOTE (surfer91919 @ Tue, 21 Sep 2021 - 15:03) *
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Wed, 19 May 2021 - 14:40) *

I can't see a contradiction?
I was just saying that the halfords tread depth indicator indicates that a tyre has 1.6mm of tread left when there is actually 2.1mm remaining. I checked this with a digital Vernier caliper. As I said the hope the police one is better calibrated than this!

To my knowledge no such device is issued to any force nor is any make/ model of device recommended or specified. You may have this misfortune to happen upon a PG9 trained officer who might have equipment comparable to what an MOT tester might use.

And I wouldn’t rely on anything “Halfords” branded to be reliable, and certainly would return it if there is a .5mm difference.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Tue, 21 Sep 2021 - 14:56
Post #13

QUOTE (surfer91919 @ Tue, 21 Sep 2021 - 15:03) *

QUOTE (surfer91919 @ Wed, 19 May 2021 - 13:46) *
I bought a tyre gauge from halfords and could see just by eye that the 1.6mm mark was actually reading more like 2+ mm. I measured it a bit more accurately and sure enough the gauge says the tyre is at 1.6mm when there is actually 2.1mm of tread.

If the 1.6 was reading 2+mm, then how later can the gauge say it's 1.6mm when it's 2.1mm? You've just reversed the error.

This post has been edited by The Rookie: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 - 14:56

--------------------

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
roythebus
post Tue, 21 Sep 2021 - 22:43
Post #14

Member No.: 9,683

Maybe there was a problem with a cut in the sidewall? Tread damage somewhere? bulge in sidewall?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Tuesday, 16th April 2024 - 07:38
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here