PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Warning others of scamera vans
Intrepidless
post Thu, 11 Jan 2018 - 17:16
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 95,911

I've recently had it bought to my attention that the police are looking to prosecute people flashing lights to warn of a camera, after an (limited) amount of research I've found this has already been done several times in the past.
(please correct me if im wrong) but it seems breaking the highway code 110 and 111 can be used as evidence but it isn't enough for a conviction
The conviction comes from obstructing a constable however in the vans there's never a constable on site, they're always council workers so how can you be obstructing a constable?

Just to point out I'm in no way for this practice, as someone flashing their lights at me for seemingly no reason, that is until you can see the camera yourself just seems pointless and annoying.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 16)
Advertisement
post Thu, 11 Jan 2018 - 17:16
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
peterguk
post Thu, 11 Jan 2018 - 17:34
Post #2

Member No.: 14,720

QUOTE (Intrepidless @ Thu, 11 Jan 2018 - 17:16) *
it seems breaking the highway code 110 and 111 can be used as evidence but it isn't enough for a conviction

The Highway Code will have nothing to do with being convicted.

--------------------

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Thu, 11 Jan 2018 - 17:55
Post #3

Member No.: 18,483

Pretty sure a search would get you the answer you’re looking for.

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
glasgow_bhoy
post Thu, 11 Jan 2018 - 23:07
Post #4

Member No.: 22,424

I'm pretty sure its not a council worker in the vans up here... possibly a civilian member of police staff but nothing to do with the council.

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Fri, 12 Jan 2018 - 19:17
Post #5

Member No.: 42,618

I've recently had it bought to my attention that the police are looking to prosecute people flashing lights to warn of a camera, after an (limited) amount of research I've found this has already been done several times in the past.
(please correct me if im wrong) but it seems breaking the highway code 110 and 111 can be used as evidence but it isn't enough for a conviction

Absent a confession, how are the police going to prove that the accused flashed his lights with the intention of warning others of the presence of the police?

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
JP1978
post Fri, 12 Jan 2018 - 21:35
Post #6

Member No.: 59,192

QUOTE (cp8759 @ Fri, 12 Jan 2018 - 19:17) *

Absent a confession, how are the police going to prove that the accused flashed his lights with the intention of warning others of the presence of the police?

Sorry officer, i just knocked the stalk
Sorry officer, I was driving a old isuzu yesterday and the windscreen wipers were the other side
Sorry officer, I just knocked them while indicating to change lanes.....

+Quote Post
Mr Meldrew
post Fri, 12 Jan 2018 - 22:17
Post #7

Member No.: 79,151

QUOTE (cp8759 @ Fri, 12 Jan 2018 - 19:17) *

And the prosecutor would have to prove that the ‘flasher’ did flash his headlights at the place and time the motorists flashed did speed or were likely to, as there’s no known criminal offence of attempting to obstruct the police in the execution of their duty according to the existing authority, if I have that correct.

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Admin/2005/2333.html

--------------------
I do tend to have a bee in my bonnet re failing to consider and fairness

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Fri, 12 Jan 2018 - 22:58
Post #8

Member No.: 18,483

QUOTE (Mr Meldrew @ Fri, 12 Jan 2018 - 22:17) *
And the prosecutor would have to prove that the ‘flasher’ did flash his headlights at the place and time the motorists flashed did speed or were likely to, as there’s no known criminal offence of attempting to obstruct the police in the execution of their duty according to the existing authority, if I have that correct.

If memory serves you can’t attempt to commit a non-indictable offence as s 1 of the Criminal Attempts Act 1981 only applies to indictable offences.

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
Mr Meldrew
post Fri, 12 Jan 2018 - 23:17
Post #9

Member No.: 79,151

QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Fri, 12 Jan 2018 - 22:58) *
QUOTE (Mr Meldrew @ Fri, 12 Jan 2018 - 22:17) *

If memory serves you can’t attempt to commit a non-indictable offence as s 1 of the Criminal Attempts Act 1981 only applies to indictable offences.

Thank you for the source of the source, S1(4) I believe (having looked it up).

--------------------
I do tend to have a bee in my bonnet re failing to consider and fairness

+Quote Post
facade
post Mon, 15 Jan 2018 - 17:55
Post #10

Member No.: 1,847

QUOTE (JP1978 @ Fri, 12 Jan 2018 - 21:35) *
Sorry officer, i just knocked the stalk
Sorry officer, I was driving a old isuzu yesterday and the windscreen wipers were the other side
Sorry officer, I just knocked them while indicating to change lanes.....

What is wrong with a simple "Sorry officer, I was merely alerting other road users to my presence, in accordance with Highway Code Rule 110, as I thought that they might not have seen me, and may in fact have been about to stray into my lane"?

Flashing headlights has no other meaning.....

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Mon, 15 Jan 2018 - 18:01
Post #11

Member No.: 49,223

One flash is a ‘thank you’ and two is a ‘go on then’. Everyone knows that... wink.gif

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
Richy320
post Mon, 15 Jan 2018 - 18:37
Post #12

Member No.: 72,309

Speeding's a crime isn't it?

Isn't flashing your headlights and encouraging other drivers to slow down crime prevention?

I seem to remember we used to have bobbies who's job was crime prevention.

Strange old world, being prosecuted for preventing crime.

--------------------
Speed does not kill. It's more to do with how you stop.

+Quote Post
bama
post Mon, 15 Jan 2018 - 22:51
Post #13

Member No.: 4,323

when this was tried previously didn't the prosecution fail as they could not prove that the drivers being flashed were exceeding the speed limit at the time they were flashed.

--------------------
Which facts in any situation or problem are “essential” and what makes them “essential”? If the “essential” facts are said to depend on the principles involved, then the whole business, all too obviously, goes right around in a circle. In the light of one principle or set of principles, one bunch of facts will be the “essential” ones; in the light of another principle or set of principles, a different bunch of facts will be “essential.” In order to settle on the right facts you first have to pick your principles, although the whole point of finding the facts was to indicate which principles apply.

Note that I am not legally qualified and any and all statements made are "Reserved". Liability for application lies with the reader.

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Mon, 15 Jan 2018 - 23:20
Post #14

Member No.: 38,559

Shouldn't the guys who install speed camera signs be prosecuted smile.gif

+Quote Post
typefish
post Tue, 16 Jan 2018 - 09:11
Post #15

Member No.: 69,758

QUOTE (Jlc @ Mon, 15 Jan 2018 - 18:01) *
One flash is a ‘thank you’ and two is a ‘go on then’. Everyone knows that... wink.gif

In my flash book I also have the four flashes, which is basically "slow down right now otherwise you will go into the back of a stationary ambulance or into a deep puddle that is around a blind bend"

Still can't understand why it's generally illegal to "misuse" lights to show the presence of speed enforcement - especially with there being at least one death directly related to the presence of a camera van. sad.gif

+Quote Post
mickR
post Tue, 16 Jan 2018 - 10:06
Post #16

Member No.: 9,919

Are you refering to the unfortunate motor cyclist?

+Quote Post
typefish
post Tue, 16 Jan 2018 - 10:26
Post #17

Member No.: 69,758

Unfortunately so.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 29th March 2024 - 08:37
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here