PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

LV cock-up on insurance renewal leaves me uninsured for 2 months
nigelbb
post Thu, 10 Oct 2019 - 12:58
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 60,602

I received a letter from LV yesterday to the effect that when my multi-vehicle insurance was up for renewal "if you tried to renew online you may have received a message the the policies automatically set up to renew so there's no need for you to do anything". Which is exactly what happened to me but the letter goes on to say that unfortunately that an issue with their system meant my policy didn't renew & hds now expired & to call them.

I checked on the MIB database & it turns out that I was uninsured & I've been driving around uninsured for the last couple of months including a visit to France.

I called up & got it sorted but am very grateful that I wasn't stopped by the BIB or had another other incident that could have brought to notice my lack of insurance. I had received an email from LV at some time prior to the expiry of the policy with the subject "Your LV= Insurance Documents" which I hadn't bothered to look at as I just assumed it was as described. It turns out this was an email just telling me my policy was due for renewal & that "If you've renewed with us in the last few days, please ignore this reminder as your policy documents will be with you soon."

When I spoke to LV they told me an unknown number of policyholders had suffered the same fate as me & that they had no clue whether people had gone to renew & got the message that renewal would be automatic or whether they hadn't renewed because they had got insurance elsewhere.

Before anyone suggests that I should have noticed that they hadn't taken payment for the policy I have a healthy bank balance & wouldn't notice one way or another whether a few hundred quid had been taken or not unless I was specifically looking for a particular payment.

--------------------
British Parking Association Ltd Code of Practice(Appendix C contains Schedule 4 of POFA 2012 ) & can be found here http://www.britishparking.co.uk/Code-of-Pr...ance-monitoring
DfT Guidance on Section 56 and Schedule 4 of POFA 2012 https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/syste...ing-charges.pdf
Damning OFT advice on levels of parking charges that was ignored by the BPA Ltd Reference Request Number: IAT/FOIA/135010 – 12 October 2012
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
Advertisement
post Thu, 10 Oct 2019 - 12:58
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
The Rookie
post Thu, 10 Oct 2019 - 13:02
Post #2

Member No.: 317

If there had been a complaint It's likely LV would have rolled over and covered from expiry of the last insurance as it's clearly their fault.

Had they not rolled over the Ombudsman would almost certainly have told them too anyway.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
nigelbb
post Thu, 10 Oct 2019 - 13:26
Post #3

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Thu, 10 Oct 2019 - 14:02) *
If there had been a complaint It's likely LV would have rolled over and covered from expiry of the last insurance as it's clearly their fault.

Had they not rolled over the Ombudsman would almost certainly have told them too anyway.

The problem would have been to prove what happened if you had been the only one or there were only a few. If it's got to the stage that they are sending out letters to former policyholders who may or may not have been affected then I'm guessing that they have discovered a substantial number of people who thought erroneously that their insurance had been automatically renewed.

--------------------
British Parking Association Ltd Code of Practice(Appendix C contains Schedule 4 of POFA 2012 ) & can be found here http://www.britishparking.co.uk/Code-of-Pr...ance-monitoring
DfT Guidance on Section 56 and Schedule 4 of POFA 2012 https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/syste...ing-charges.pdf
Damning OFT advice on levels of parking charges that was ignored by the BPA Ltd Reference Request Number: IAT/FOIA/135010 – 12 October 2012

+Quote Post
jdh
post Thu, 10 Oct 2019 - 13:31
Post #4

Member No.: 1,224

Are there any implications for taking out insurance down the line and answering a "continuous period of insurance" type question knowing you've got this hole in it?

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Thu, 10 Oct 2019 - 13:38
Post #5

Member No.: 38,559

Could have been really nasty, pulled by Old Bill miles from home, vehicle seized and BTW, here's an FPN for not having insurance.
With no guarantee that LV would have rolled over and backdated cover.
Certainly not while you are standing on the roadside with the cops, probably peeing it down and no way of getting home.

On the few occasions that I have let my insurance auto-renew, I have phoned them on the day to ensure that it has happened.
But easy to be wise after the event.

+Quote Post
nigelbb
post Thu, 10 Oct 2019 - 13:48
Post #6

QUOTE (jdh @ Thu, 10 Oct 2019 - 14:31) *
Are there any implications for taking out insurance down the line and answering a "continuous period of insurance" type question knowing you've got this hole in it?

My newly issued policy shows start date as the date it should have renewed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
KH_
post Thu, 10 Oct 2019 - 17:06
Post #7

Member No.: 66,409

QUOTE (jdh @ Thu, 10 Oct 2019 - 14:31) *

Wait, what's that now? Is that a common question?
I've been intentionally uninsured (and sorn) since about April.
I hadn't even considered that as an issue when I do re-insure.

Is that likely to be a huge problem? I hope not. Maybe if I just go back to the old insurer it'll be less of a problem.
I can't recall ever seeing that question, not on comparison sites anyway

+Quote Post
Fredd
post Thu, 10 Oct 2019 - 18:30
Post #8

Webmaster
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

It can crop up in terms of the number of years that count towards NCB if you have a big gap (eg due to having a company car for several years), but I've never seen a "continuous insurance" question otherwise.

--------------------
Regards,
Fredd

Visa, Mastercard, debit card or PayPal account

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Fri, 11 Oct 2019 - 09:20
Post #9

Member No.: 38,559

As Fredd says, it can crop up but isn't a normal question.
Only time I can remember continuous insurance being an issue was after having company cars for a number of years.
When I came to insure a car in my own name, could not show any recent history for NCB, had to start afresh.

This post has been edited by DancingDad: Fri, 11 Oct 2019 - 09:22

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Fri, 11 Oct 2019 - 09:52
Post #10

It may be interesting if someones gets a continuous insurance penalty from DVLA though.....

While they clearly dropped the ball, I've used LV for years and always found them very constructive and reasonable.

This post has been edited by The Rookie: Fri, 11 Oct 2019 - 09:52

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Fri, 11 Oct 2019 - 10:09
Post #11

Member No.: 42,618

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Fri, 11 Oct 2019 - 10:52) *
It may be interesting if someones gets a continuous insurance penalty from DVLA though.....

The Financial Ombudsman would have compelled LV to backdate the cover, which would give a good defence in law.

QUOTE (DancingDad @ Thu, 10 Oct 2019 - 14:38) *
With no guarantee that LV would have rolled over and backdated cover.
Certainly not while you are standing on the roadside with the cops, probably peeing it down and no way of getting home.

Well as per the above, the Ombudsman would have compelled LV to backdate cover and, in the circumstances, pay a fair amount of compensation for distress and inconvenience. As LV would know the outcome of a FOS complaint would be all but a foregone conclusion, I don't think it would go that far and LV would roll over of its own volition.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Fri, 11 Oct 2019 - 11:48
Post #12

QUOTE (cp8759 @ Fri, 11 Oct 2019 - 11:09) *
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Fri, 11 Oct 2019 - 10:52) *

The Financial Ombudsman would have compelled LV to backdate the cover, which would give a good defence in law.

Indeed, as I noted earlier, hence the use of 'interesting' as opposed to 'a problem'!

--------------------

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
Fredd
post Fri, 11 Oct 2019 - 11:53
Post #13

Webmaster
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

I wonder how this came to light - hopefully not simply due to a large enough number of their customers complaining after being pulled for no insurance, etc.

--------------------
Regards,
Fredd

Visa, Mastercard, debit card or PayPal account

+Quote Post
nigelbb
post Fri, 11 Oct 2019 - 12:17
Post #14

QUOTE (Fredd @ Fri, 11 Oct 2019 - 12:53) *
I wonder how this came to light - hopefully not simply due to a large enough number of their customers complaining after being pulled for no insurance, etc.

My insurance expired on 3rd August & I received the letter on 9th October. The lady that I spoke to said they had no idea how many people were affected. I'm assuming that they have now sent out letters to everyone who didn't renew during a particular time period.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sparxy
post Sun, 13 Oct 2019 - 19:23
Post #15

Member No.: 34,394

QUOTE (nigelbb @ Thu, 10 Oct 2019 - 13:58) *
When I spoke to LV they told me an unknown number of policyholders had suffered the same fate as me & that they had no clue whether people had gone to renew & got the message that renewal would be automatic or whether they hadn't renewed because they had got insurance elsewhere.

Before anyone suggests that I should have noticed that they hadn't taken payment for the policy I have a healthy bank balance & wouldn't notice one way or another whether a few hundred quid had been taken or not unless I was specifically looking for a particular payment.

This may still be worth a complaint - that your insurance had lapsed and you had no communication to inform you that it had done so, putting you into a precarious position.

Although i'm against asking for reams of compensation for a "non-event", when they do things like this that could have disastrous consequences, a little "sorry" goes a long way. My insurer cocked up my renewal - their system had changed something between my existing policy and my renewal meaning a claim was then classed as "fault". Complained and they offered me £70 which I accepted.

This post has been edited by Sparxy: Sun, 13 Oct 2019 - 22:54

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 29th March 2024 - 05:49
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here