PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

46mph in a 40mph A591 Ings Cumbria, Travelling Eastbound.
GTB07
post Fri, 24 Feb 2017 - 20:42
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 90,492

Hi Everyone,

I've just received a NIP from an offence committed 4 days ago travelling at 46mph in a 40mph zone at Ings in Cumbria. It was 18:15 in the evening, dark quite foggy and I hadn't seen the speed limit reduce from 50mph to 40mph and continued at 46mph through the camera. I've been on google street view to see where the speed limit changes and see just how many repeater signs there are in between the change in limit and the camera. I think there is 1. Just wondering if I could appeal this? Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
Advertisement
post Fri, 24 Feb 2017 - 20:42
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
IanJohnsonWS14
post Fri, 24 Feb 2017 - 21:07
Post #2

Member No.: 3,508

QUOTE (GTB07 @ Fri, 24 Feb 2017 - 20:42) *
Hi Everyone,

I've just received a NIP from an offence committed 4 days ago travelling at 46mph in a 40mph zone at Ings in Cumbria. It was 18:15 in the evening, dark quite foggy and I hadn't seen the speed limit reduce from 50mph to 40mph and continued at 46mph through the camera. I've been on google street view to see where the speed limit changes and see just how many repeater signs there are in between the change in limit and the camera. I think there is 1. Just wondering if I could appeal this? Thanks

To contest you will need to reject any conditional offer and go to court.

Read what you have posted above and ask yourself if you want to try to justify speeding in fog to a magistrate.

--------------------
Speeding tickets, like lottery tickets, are a voluntary tax. You don't have to get them.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Fri, 24 Feb 2017 - 21:08
Post #3

Member No.: 317

Well that depends how far you were into the new limit?

Strictly you can't appeal until convicted by a court, in this case the Police will almost certainly offer an awareness course in lieu of prosecution which you would probably be ill advised to decline.

If the signage is as required then the fog would be no defence, arguably if the fog was thick enough to obscure the signs you should have been going slower and thus seen them.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Fri, 24 Feb 2017 - 21:14
Post #4

Member No.: 49,223

Appears to be a repeater not far from the camera... Here and terminal signs not too far back either Here.

This post has been edited by Jlc: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 - 21:14

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
Logician
post Sat, 25 Feb 2017 - 00:03
Post #5

Member No.: 36,528

As above, it seems to be "a fair cop" with no defence apparent. Provided you have not done one within the last three years, a course should be offered, otherwise a fixed penalty.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GTB07
post Sat, 25 Feb 2017 - 07:39
Post #6

Member No.: 90,492

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll be learning my lesson and taking this one on the chin. Thanks again

+Quote Post
nigelbb
post Sat, 25 Feb 2017 - 08:39
Post #7

Member No.: 60,602

QUOTE (GTB07 @ Sat, 25 Feb 2017 - 07:39) *
Thanks guys. Looks like I'll be learning my lesson and taking this one on the chin. Thanks again

Arguing that you didn't see the speed limits signs because it was foggy wasn't going to be a good defence against a charge of speeding.

--------------------
British Parking Association Ltd Code of Practice(Appendix C contains Schedule 4 of POFA 2012 ) & can be found here http://www.britishparking.co.uk/Code-of-Pr...ance-monitoring
DfT Guidance on Section 56 and Schedule 4 of POFA 2012 https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/syste...ing-charges.pdf
Damning OFT advice on levels of parking charges that was ignored by the BPA Ltd Reference Request Number: IAT/FOIA/135010 – 12 October 2012

+Quote Post
Tartarus
post Sun, 26 Feb 2017 - 12:29
Post #8

Member No.: 76,324

But he wasn't speeding until the limit changed. If he had been speeding originally even before the limit change, then I'd have little sympathy.

+Quote Post
peterguk
post Sun, 26 Feb 2017 - 12:35
Post #9

Member No.: 14,720

QUOTE (Tartarus @ Sun, 26 Feb 2017 - 12:29) *
But he wasn't speeding until the limit changed.

And?

--------------------

+Quote Post
thisisntme
post Sun, 26 Feb 2017 - 21:19
Post #10

Member No.: 70,566

QUOTE (Tartarus @ Sun, 26 Feb 2017 - 12:29) *
But he wasn't speeding until the limit changed. If he had been speeding originally even before the limit change, then I'd have little sympathy.

I'm surprised the OP missed the terminal signs. The two terminal signs are not that long after the last 50mph repeater and are clear. No bushes close to them. There are a number of hazards that would prompt a driver to slow down in that area before the camera - two junctions a petrol station to the right. There are two cameras one facing each direction. Going east you pass the camera covering the other side of the road. [one of the junctions leads to decent pub with its own microbrewery with beers called A Wruff Night, Collywobbles and all feature a collie dog. Food's good too]

--------------------
I reserve the right to be wrong.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Tuesday, 16th April 2024 - 16:58
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here