PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

What is the Slip Rule?
jimsecurity
post Tue, 7 Jul 2020 - 12:49
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 109,009

Can anyone show me the practice directions allowing the court to change the name of a defendant on a summons?

I've read PD40B but that seems to be county court.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Start new topic
Replies (40 - 53)
Advertisement
post Tue, 7 Jul 2020 - 12:49
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
jimsecurity
post Fri, 24 Jul 2020 - 21:49
Post #41

You said:

That legislation doesn’t say it voids the summons, you have a severe comprehension problem

This is what the legislation says:

Proceedings invalid where accused did not know of them.
(1)Where a summons has been issued under section 1 above and a magistrates’ court has begun to try the information to which the summons relates, then, if—
(a)the accused, at any time during or after the trial, makes a statutory declaration that he did not know of the summons or the proceedings until a date specified in the declaration, being a date after the court has begun to try the information; and
(b)within 21 days of that date the declaration is served on the [F1designated officer for the court],without prejudice to the validity of the information, the summons and all subsequent proceedings shall be void.

I comprehend that to mean the SD is given, the summons and all subsequent proceedings shall be void.

You say I have a severe comprehension problem. Can you explain what this legislation means to you?

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Sat, 25 Jul 2020 - 08:06
Post #42

Member No.: 317

THAT summons would be voided, but there is nothing to stop them re-issuing and re-trying, so the proceeding commenced are not voided and can be retried.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Sat, 25 Jul 2020 - 15:37
Post #43

Member No.: 42,618

QUOTE (jimsecurity @ Fri, 24 Jul 2020 - 22:49) *
(1)Where a summons has been issued under section 1 above and a magistrates’ court has begun to try the information to which the summons relates, then, if—

There would be no summons as the police would have issued a postal requisition. As has been stated, the fact that the trial and conviction are void does not invalidate the whole process, it simply means the case will start again from scratch. Is there any defence available or is she going to plead guilty?

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
jimsecurity
post Sun, 26 Jul 2020 - 13:13
Post #44

That's how I understand it.

If she is required to enter a plea to the speeding, then it's guilty as charged.

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Sun, 26 Jul 2020 - 14:36
Post #45

Member No.: 18,483

QUOTE (jimsecurity @ Sun, 26 Jul 2020 - 14:13) *
If she is required to enter a plea to the speeding, then it's guilty as charged.

She might be asked to. However, if she never returned the s 172 notice it’s likely she’ll be asked to plea to that offence as well, or instead. What’s she going to do then?

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
jimsecurity
post Sun, 26 Jul 2020 - 22:45
Post #46

QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Sun, 26 Jul 2020 - 15:36) *
QUOTE (jimsecurity @ Sun, 26 Jul 2020 - 14:13) *

She might be asked to. However, if she never returned the s 172 notice it’s likely she’ll be asked to plea to that offence as well, or instead. What’s she going to do then?

She will enter a plea of not guilty.

The prosecution must show proper service of the document, and when evidence to the contrary is shown, that exposes, in a public trial, a member of court staff tampering with court documents.

This is why I needed to know if a slip rule existed.

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Sun, 26 Jul 2020 - 23:11
Post #47

QUOTE (jimsecurity @ Sun, 26 Jul 2020 - 23:45) *
The prosecution must show proper service of the document, and when evidence to the contrary is shown, that exposes, in a public trial, a member of court staff tampering with court documents.

Remind me, was the s 172 notice properly served on her or not?

Is she relying on the prosecutor giving two hoots about what might or might not have happened with paperwork in the previous matter? That doesn’t sound like a good idea particularly if there’s no evidence that anyone actually did anything wrong, let alone criminal. And in any case, how would the prosecutor know?

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
jimsecurity
post Mon, 27 Jul 2020 - 01:18
Post #48

QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Mon, 27 Jul 2020 - 00:11) *

It wasn't

how would the prosecutor know?

It will be in the court paperwork.

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Mon, 27 Jul 2020 - 08:40
Post #49

QUOTE (jimsecurity @ Sun, 26 Jul 2020 - 23:45) *

No it really doesn't, it shows that someone made a spelling mistake and someone else corrected it. Nobody will care and the trial will move forwards.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Mon, 27 Jul 2020 - 10:14
Post #50

QUOTE (jimsecurity @ Mon, 27 Jul 2020 - 02:18) *

It wasn't

In what way was it not served? If I remember correctly, it was received with a minor spelling error and returned incomplete as “not at this address” or similar, wasn’t it?

At the moment her defence (based, presumably on your advice) is that (i) the s 172 notice was no correctly served and (ii) the prosecution won’t want to continue because it will uncover some sort of wrongdoing by some unspecified person in the court.

As to (i), I think she’s on thin ice - she’ll be relying on the court finding that the transposition of a single letter (based on the scant details we’ve had) invalidates service on her. As to (ii), I think this is somewhat far-fetched, in fact and law. It relies on the prosecutor actually spotting the [supposed] issue and, even if they do, actually thinking there is an issue that needs the prosecution being discontinued. Based on what you have said, I would not be discontinuing the prosecution if it was me.

A note of caution for your friend - if she doesn’t know what she’s doing then she ought to seek advice from those who do. I am not sure that you do. I get the impression that you’re seeking validation of your own point of view rather than advice. If that is the case then you’re doing your friend a disservice.

--------------------

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Mon, 27 Jul 2020 - 10:16
Post #51

QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Mon, 27 Jul 2020 - 11:14) *
I get the impression that you’re seeking validation of your own point of view rather than advice. If that is the case then you’re doing your friend a disservice.

+1

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Mon, 27 Jul 2020 - 10:30
Post #52

Member No.: 317

+2...
Including a very likely perjurious SD.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
jimsecurity
post Mon, 27 Jul 2020 - 16:33
Post #53

The purpose of this enquiry is finding a slip rule, which there is none, and nobody has heard any more since the SD. I call that a win, and the matter parked.

Any debate beyond that, for now, is academic.

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Mon, 27 Jul 2020 - 18:48
Post #54

QUOTE (jimsecurity @ Mon, 27 Jul 2020 - 17:33) *
The purpose of this enquiry is finding a slip rule...

So basically you were looking for the answer to a question that doesn't matter anyway, hence the entire thread was academic from the start.

On the downside, you might have opened up your friend to criminal liability for a false SD, on top of the original offence. Call that a win if you want...

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 12:49
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here