PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Average Speed Cameras Are Fairer..., Whats your Opinion??
Ziggyplayedguita...
post Thu, 22 Feb 2024 - 22:32
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 111,260

Getting caught with a Gatso (or simllar) could be because of a momentary lack of concentration on passing the Camera.

Average Speed Cameras give you the time to rectify above mistake by slowing down for the rest of the of the Average Speed Camera area.I have done this on occasions.I'm sure its perfectly legitimate to do so??

This post has been edited by Ziggyplayedguitar2: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 - 06:30
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Start new topic
Replies (20 - 26)
Advertisement
post Thu, 22 Feb 2024 - 22:32
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
rosturra
post Sat, 24 Feb 2024 - 12:33
Post #21

Member No.: 93,086

QUOTE (Ziggyplayedguitar2 @ Sat, 24 Feb 2024 - 10:25) *
So there is some benefit in lowering your speed then ...after passing the first one.I am sort of dovetailing this with the situation in Sidcup and the 50mph Rogue Sign...but also for my own benefit(I start a new driving job Monday).

People have been unnecessarily complicating this question.

OP asked: If I was doing 48 mph and slowed to 40 mph within the two relevant average speed cameras. Would you get a tug?

In the real world the answer is almost certainly no. [Unless you were doing crazy stuff like cruising at 48 mph then slamming on the brakes at the last moment, to get to 40 mph. But let's get real.]

The average speed would not be 46 mph. And you won't get a tug for the initial 48 mph - which I suspect was the worry, and the point of the question.

The discussion about not knowing the exact distances to precisely work out linear deceleration... are arguments about angels on pinheads. There is no need for such precision, in the context of the question.

+Quote Post
Ziggyplayedguita...
post Sat, 24 Feb 2024 - 12:40
Post #22

QUOTE (rosturra @ Sat, 24 Feb 2024 - 12:33) *
QUOTE (Ziggyplayedguitar2 @ Sat, 24 Feb 2024 - 10:25) *
So there is some benefit in lowering your speed then ...after passing the first one.I am sort of dovetailing this with the situation in Sidcup and the 50mph Rogue Sign...but also for my own benefit(I start a new driving job Monday).

People have been unnecessarily complicating this question.

OP asked: If I was doing 48 mph and slowed to 40 mph within the two relevant average speed cameras. Would you get a tug?

In the real world the answer is almost certainly no. [Unless you were doing crazy stuff like cruising at 48 mph then slamming on the brakes at the last moment, to get to 40 mph. But let's get real.]

The average speed would not be 46 mph. And you won't get a tug for the initial 48 mph - which I suspect was the worry, and the point of the question.

The discussion about not knowing the exact distances to precisely work out linear deceleration... are arguments about angels on pinheads. There is no need for such precision, in the context of the question.

Thank You Rosturra for understanding what I was driving at.{excuse the pun}

+Quote Post
NewJudge
post Sat, 24 Feb 2024 - 14:00
Post #23

Member No.: 23,623

It's plain and simple (in fact it could not be simpler).

If (say) the distance between the two cameras is one mile exactly and the speed limit is (say) 60mph, the minimum time any driver should take to travel between the two points is sixty seconds. Any driver taking less than that has, at some point on the stretch, exceeded the speed limit. It doesn't matter what he does in between; what his maximum speed was, what his minimum speed was, how fast he travels, how quickly he accelerates or brakes are all irrelevant. If he covers that one mile in less than sixty seconds he has broken the speed limit of 60mph.

Neither camera measures speed. They both simply take accurately timed photographs of all vehicles passing the two points. The system uses ANPR to identify the vehicles and calculates the average speed of them all over the stretch. Drivers of vehicles detected covering the distance in less than the prescribed time (with an allowance for the 10% + 1mph "tolerance") will face enforcement.

Relating this to the "Sidcup" problem, the police measured the distance between the first average speed camera and the "rogue" 50mph sign and the distance from there to the second average speed camera. They calculated that a driver travelling at 40mph between the first camera and the sign and at 50mph from the sign to the second camera would average no more than 43mph. Since enforcement in a 40mph does not begin until 46mph, nobody complying with the speed limit (40 from the first camera to the rogue sign and 50 from the sign to the second camera) would have seen enforcement.

This post has been edited by NewJudge: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 - 14:02

+Quote Post
Ziggyplayedguita...
post Sat, 24 Feb 2024 - 15:15
Post #24

Thanks ro Rosturra and New Judge for making that clear.

I would guess that makes AVERAGE SPEED CAMERAS more effective as well.After all there main purpose is Accident reduction...apparently??I hope the Gatsos are phased out based on that.

This post has been edited by Ziggyplayedguitar2: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 - 15:15

+Quote Post
Sparxy
post Sat, 24 Feb 2024 - 15:33
Post #25

Member No.: 34,394

QUOTE (Ziggyplayedguitar2 @ Fri, 23 Feb 2024 - 23:14) *
I am of the belief that all the cameras in an AVS stretch are on all the time ....and they are talking to each other(not literally of course) so that at the end my time in the area MPH rating can be analysed.I'm sure I have that right ???

Older generation SPECS cameras you could see if the IR illuminators were on at night (if they were facing the front of the vehicle), in theory, if they were off, you could say the camera was off (as it would not likely be able to read plates). There was a long stretch on the M5 and at least 2/3 of the cameras were "off" following this logic.

The newer average cameras I've passed either haven't been switched on, or their IR illuminators are a lot more refined and do not emit as much, or any, light in the visible spectrum.

Nb: The highways CCTV illuminators on the M5 managed bit between 4a and 6 are very visible when on... creepy floating red glows!

This post has been edited by Sparxy: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 - 15:34

+Quote Post
Longtime Lurker
post Sat, 24 Feb 2024 - 17:16
Post #26

Member No.: 95,615

Michael Gove will be along soon to promise that all speed cameras will be above average by 2037.

+Quote Post
mickR
post Sun, 25 Feb 2024 - 10:24
Post #27

Member No.: 9,919

QUOTE (Ziggyplayedguitar2 @ Sat, 24 Feb 2024 - 12:40) *
Thank You Rosturra for understanding what I was driving at.{excuse the pun}

maybe you should just ask exactly what you mean if you want specific answers but I think you had your answer in previous replies anyway.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Saturday, 13th April 2024 - 04:22
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here