Taking park in vicinity only collision
John Bravo
post Tue, 30 Jan 2018 - 00:20
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 81,055

Hi All,
I hope you are well.
Please can you advise on the best practice in this case. I have taken part in a collision that was caused by police approaching to the crossroads on a opposite direction lane. My car has bumped to the rear of another car. I crashed other's drivers right side of the bumper + other unknown yet damages, I lost left light and surrounding parts up to bending my bonnet. This was a sharp turn left on the crossroads where there is a tall building on the corner so I was unable to see approaching police vehicle, because of the building the sound of it came pretty late as well, but I don't remember all the details as all happened so quickly.
The police vehicle has come back to the scene and collected all the details + gave us their references and said about "vicinity only collision". Then they asked us to wait for another patrol to respond to this accident, because this is how they have to do it since they have become witnesses as I understand well, right? The we have waited about 40minutes but no one was coming. Then police officer has said that they have spoken to their sergeant and because there was no one available to respond to this accident they let us go.
This is London Metropolitan Police.

As you can imagine car accident do not happen to me very often like to anyone else and I don't know what to do next and I don't want to mess something up on the way. We have exchanged all the details and it has been said that we have to contact the insurance companies to claim it.
Please advise
Best regards,

This post has been edited by John Bravo: Tue, 30 Jan 2018 - 00:24

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
Advertisement
post Tue, 30 Jan 2018 - 00:20
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
The Rookie
post Tue, 30 Jan 2018 - 07:03
Post #2

Member No.: 317

So you drove into the back of the car in front? Too close for the speed, nothing to do with the Police and more to do with your driving it sounds, your insurer will settle for the other driver and for you (if you are fully comp).

As for the vicinity accident, the officer is noting that it occurred in the vicinity of a Police car which wasn't involved in the collision, it doesn't mean the officer wasn't at fault, although based on your version he wasn't.

This post has been edited by The Rookie: Tue, 30 Jan 2018 - 08:29

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
John Bravo
post Tue, 30 Jan 2018 - 08:45
Post #3

Yes, but it was on turning left, so I hit right to left so it wasn't a regular bump. The police car has attempted to squeeze in on our lane coming from opposite direction.

The scene:
_____driver1driver2
.........________ | me
..........building | |
......................| |

This post has been edited by John Bravo: Tue, 30 Jan 2018 - 08:58

--------------------

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Tue, 30 Jan 2018 - 10:50
Post #4

Member No.: 38,559

Rookie is right.
The basic is that you must maintain stopping distance and hitting the car in front usually means that either you didn't or that you failed to brake in time.
Both makes accident your fault.
Barring any other reason that can explain why you were not at fault, insurance will take it as your fault and treat claim accordingly.
The police car in this instance was only the unexpected event that caused the guy in front to brake, nothing more.

If you are saying the other car overreacted to the police car and caused the collision by changing lanes (for instance) so you had no chance and were not in a potentially dangerous position to start with, that would put the fault with the guy in front.
He potentially could also claim from police in that case but that is nothing to do with you.

If that is what happened, you must make this clear to insurance else it will be put down as your fault.

This post has been edited by DancingDad: Tue, 30 Jan 2018 - 10:52

+Quote Post
John Bravo
post Tue, 30 Jan 2018 - 11:53
Post #5

Thank you DancingDad.
From memory what has happened is that the driver in front of me has stopped suddenly while sharp turning left. I have hit her right corner with my left.
This one way lane (to the left) is opening to a bus lane after the junction as well (but not to a fully open lane immediately - there were cars parked on that bus lane that evening actually (police had to park well after these 4-5 parked cars as you can see on Google Maps from a satellite view, during the day it looks clear - Street View) so I think they(the drivers) attempted to use this extra space to make space for the police car, but does it qualify as changing lanes, I don't know. Normally we would turn left at lower angle, but because of the emergency car they turned left sharply, at least the driver in front of me, because I have not seen much of the 1st drivers manoeuvring, the 1st driver drove away with no damages and have not taken part in the police report. It was a chain reaction as everything has happened on the corner not past the corner. Only the 1st car has managed to stop in parallel to the police car.
It looks quite unfortunate to me.

The location is the corner with a billboard.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.51279,-0....3312!8i6656

--------------------

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Tue, 30 Jan 2018 - 12:18
Post #6

Okay, think I understand it better now.
Car in front turning left
You expected them to complete turn so carried on
They stopped (reason is irrelevant)
You hit the corner of their car still sticking out.

Which is your fault as far as insurance is concerned.

I say reason is irrelevant as it is.
In this case seems to be a police car, could have been stopped traffic or a dancing elephant, point is that when a driver takes a corner, they are possibly blind until they make the turn and then may have to stop suddenly.
Drivers following must be aware of this and drive accordingly.

An aside but as an example.
When I turn into my road from the main road, if there is traffic behind me, I indicate early and if needs be, brake and slow early.
I know that there is likely to be cars parked right up to the corner as I turn but this is invisible until I turn.
And am often faced with totally blind sight lines, oncoming or stopped vehicles.
Last thing I want to do is end up stopped with my tail sticking out but if I am, I don't want following traffic caught with no warning and at any speed.
Would be their fault for hitting me but no consolation when I've got a bootful of BMW (other twonkers are available)

+Quote Post
John Bravo
post Tue, 30 Jan 2018 - 12:51
Post #7

Thank you DancingDad.
What is the best way to proceed in this case, because me and the other driver were and still are convinced that this is their fault and it's not just me taking all the blame.
What about this changing lane thing, this is a pretty awkward spot to analyse because it is on the corner and a crossroad not on straight road. And this corner if you look is slightly more than 90 degree turn so any sharp turn exposes the car in front even more.

I have the CAD number from the police (they were attending another accident involving a bus and a pedestrian).
I don't understand the bit that we had to wait for another patrol to collect statements. If they have not taken part in this collision why do they need another patrol to collect the statements if they are technically witnesses only not at fault but me all along?
Because they were so busy (no patrols available) their HQ asked them to let us go. We gave them our mobile numbers.

I think I am going to call Met Police first to ask what is the next step then speak to the other driver and then call the insurer to claim this.

Best regards,

This post has been edited by John Bravo: Tue, 30 Jan 2018 - 13:01

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Tue, 30 Jan 2018 - 12:53
Post #8

Member No.: 317

Fully agree, the first car stopped OK, as did the second, you were driving too close for the speed to stop (or were paying insufficient attention), it will be your fault.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Tue, 30 Jan 2018 - 18:03
Post #9

Member No.: 18,483

QUOTE (John Bravo @ Tue, 30 Jan 2018 - 12:51) *
I don't understand the bit that we had to wait for another patrol to collect statements. If they have not taken part in this collision why do they need another patrol to collect the statements if they are technically witnesses only not at fault but me all along?

It’s standard for any incident involving a police vehicle (directly or otherwise) to be investigated to some degree.

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Tue, 30 Jan 2018 - 18:35
Post #10

All you can realistically do IMO is report to your insurers with all information you have.
Include the police and what info you have on that.
But I would not expect insurers to take this as anything then an "at fault" shunt

+Quote Post
John Bravo
post Tue, 30 Jan 2018 - 21:15
Post #11

Ok, thank you gents for your input so far. I have claimed this already.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 29th March 2024 - 15:47
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here