PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

When do Red light cameras deactivate ?
Roverboy
post Sun, 21 Oct 2018 - 20:49
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20

Sitting at a two lane junction with a red light camera. Me and the car next to me were both first in the queue.

I have a sports car and could tell the twonk next to me in his corsa was itching for an F1 start (blipping the throttle and inching forward) and must admit I looked across at him and smiled although I had no intention of indulging him.

Don't know if he knew there was a red light camera, but the second they went Red and Amber, he was over the line and gone (he definitely went over the white line and the detectors before the green light.

Would that have activated the camera ????

--------------------
Diesel, the fuel of the future......

Roverboy 2 Apcoa 0
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
Advertisement
post Sun, 21 Oct 2018 - 20:49
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
The Rookie
post Mon, 22 Oct 2018 - 05:48
Post #2

Member No.: 317

If it was live at the time, then yes, we had one case on here where the rider had been rolling and saw it go red and amber and misjudged it and went through before the green and was snapped.

Love his thinking, my cars faster than yours as I’m happy to jump the red lights...... it’s why the french lights go red to green, effectively they stay just red where we get the red/amber phase, much fairer race start light system.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
Earl Purple
post Mon, 22 Oct 2018 - 09:44
Post #3

Member No.: 39,245

I don't agree, red directly to green is horrible. I once got "hooted" in Belgium when I was slow to react to a green light. I shouted it was their stupid fault they don't bother with red and amber.
They have a weird give way system there too where the side road generally has right of way over the main road.

It does mean though that when turning left out of a road (where they drive on the right) you do have the right to "hang out" and block the lane whilst waiting for the other one to clear.

+Quote Post
Lodesman
post Mon, 22 Oct 2018 - 10:16
Post #4

Member No.: 22,623

QUOTE (Earl Purple @ Mon, 22 Oct 2018 - 10:44) *
I don't agree, red directly to green is horrible. I once got "hooted" in Belgium when I was slow to react to a green light. I shouted it was their stupid fault they don't bother with red and amber.
They have a weird give way system there too where the side road generally has right of way over the main road.

It does mean though that when turning left out of a road (where they drive on the right) you do have the right to "hang out" and block the lane whilst waiting for the other one to clear.

May I suggest that you learn to adapt to the system that is in place wherever you are driving in the world. For example, turning right on red in certain states of the US.
Deciding that 'your' system is the best is a nonsense, as is shouting at residents of another country, in their country, just because you consider their driving system inferior to that in your country..
What is the difference is between turning left at a junction where cars drive on the right (as you mention regarding Belgium) and turning right at a junction where cars drive on the left (as is the norm in the UK) ?
You have no more right to 'hang out' and block the traffic there than in the UK.
As regards side roads having priority (Priorité à droite), in France (and in Belgium IIRC) there are specific road signs to advise you when it applies and when it doesn't. Learn them before driving there.
If you think driving in Belgium is a problem then I suggest you don't try driving in India, Central Africa or any of the less developed parts of the world. (Rules, what rules ?)

This post has been edited by Lodesman: Mon, 22 Oct 2018 - 10:53

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Mon, 22 Oct 2018 - 10:43
Post #5

I don’t drive much in India, but cycle a lot, doesn’t take long to get the hang of it, on a bike speed and mobility is key!

Red to green is horrible if are rubbish at driving I think..... it’s different not better for worse.

Priority a droite is rare but well signed when it applies, as a blanket it was stupid but has been removed since the 1970’s.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
Fredd
post Mon, 22 Oct 2018 - 13:01
Post #6

Webmaster
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Lodesman @ Mon, 22 Oct 2018 - 11:16) *
As regards side roads having priority (Priorité à droite), in France (and in Belgium IIRC) there are specific road signs to advise you when it applies and when it doesn't.

It isn't that uncommon, around Europe anyway. In Finland you also have to give way to traffic from the right at a crossroads, unless they have a give way sign - which you often can't see from your side of the junction! Major roads tend to have yellow diamond signs to tell you when you have priority, but most don't.

--------------------
Regards,
Fredd

Visa, Mastercard, debit card or PayPal account

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Mon, 22 Oct 2018 - 20:58
Post #7

Member No.: 42,618

Deciding that 'your' system is the best is a nonsense, as is shouting at residents of another country, in their country, just because you consider their driving system inferior to that in your country..

All systems have their merits and flaws. As most people drive manuals, and you're typically in neutral with the hand brake on at a red light, red & amber gives you time to shift into first and put your hand on the handbrake before setting off, so I think it's better than red to green.

On the other hand Germany has a much more rational speed limit system, and Belarus has countdown timers on all its traffic lights (so if you're coming up to a red, you know whether you'll have to stop or whether you can adjust you speed to get to the stop line as it goes green). Some countries have screaming lines between carriageways on the motorway, i.e. they make a screaming noise so they alert drivers if they're drifting off course. The list goes on.

On the whole the UK is pretty good, but there's always room for improvement. Other countries also have room for improvement, there's nothing nonsensical about that.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Tue, 23 Oct 2018 - 06:25
Post #8

QUOTE (cp8759 @ Mon, 22 Oct 2018 - 21:58) *

All systems have their merits and flaws. As most people drive manuals, and you're typically in neutral with the hand brake on at a red light, red & amber gives you time to shift into first and put your hand on the handbrake before setting off, so I think it's better than red to green.

Or just watch the lights for the opposing traffic streams and put it in gear when theirs go amber/red.....

--------------------

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
Earl Purple
post Tue, 23 Oct 2018 - 09:34
Post #9

Member No.: 39,245

Now it seems many lights have multiple phases including a pedestrian phase here.

Countdowns on all traffic lights would be a great idea.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Tue, 23 Oct 2018 - 09:46
Post #10

Countdowns also have an environmental benefit, those with older cars can do a manual 'stop start' when they know the time stationary will be worth it. My last car it used to take about 6-8 seconds for the stereo to 'boot up' after starting, so while stop starting was an obvious benefit (3.0 petrol) it didn't exactly encourage it unless you knew how long they would be red for!

This post has been edited by The Rookie: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 - 09:54

--------------------

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 13:31
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here