Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Old MS90 not known
Reuben1111
post Mon, 22 Jul 2019 - 11:56
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 104,896

Hello everyone,
I had a accident 2 weeks ago I was a named driver on my partners cars not my fault, today insurance rang me an told me I had a MS90 on my licence from 2016 an now I have also found I owe £1000 fine to top it off. I was sent a speeding ticket in a hire car that I replied no guilty as I was in aware of who was driving at the time I later
Moved address and that was the last I heard until now.
I’m not able to start a statuary declaration because I replied to say I was not driving, any help or advice would be amazing.
Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 15)
Advertisement
post Mon, 22 Jul 2019 - 11:56
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
southpaw82
post Mon, 22 Jul 2019 - 12:21
Post #2

Member No.: 18,483

QUOTE (Reuben1111 @ Mon, 22 Jul 2019 - 12:56) *
I’m not able to start a statuary declaration because I replied to say I was not driving, any help or advice would be amazing.

Were you aware that you were being prosecuted, i.e. did you receive a summons? There is a difference between not being able to name the driver and being prosecuted for the same. If you didn’t know you were being prosecuted you can make a statutory declaration.

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
Reuben1111
post Mon, 22 Jul 2019 - 12:34
Post #3

QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Mon, 22 Jul 2019 - 13:21) *
QUOTE (Reuben1111 @ Mon, 22 Jul 2019 - 12:56) *

Were you aware that you were being prosecuted, i.e. did you receive a summons? There is a difference between not being able to name the driver and being prosecuted for the same. If you didn’t know you were being prosecuted you can make a statutory declaration.

I got the letter asking for the info of who was driving I replied asking for photo evidence they sent me a picture of the rear of the car at night I wasn’t 100% on who was driving replied saying I’m still unable to say who was driving, iv then moved address and then a year later had a change of name but never known I had been found guilty in my absence, iv just spoke to the courts on the phone an they say I can only open a appeal with crown court now because it’s been so long. I’m in a hell of a pickle

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Mon, 22 Jul 2019 - 12:40
Post #4

Member No.: 49,223

QUOTE (Reuben1111 @ Mon, 22 Jul 2019 - 13:34) *
iv just spoke to the courts on the phone an they say I can only open a appeal with crown court now

OMG. If you were unaware of the conviction then you make a Statutory Declaration - no appeal to Crown Court required!

But the problem you face was that you are likely to be found guilty by not unequivocally naming the driver. (But there might be options to reduce the damage)

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Mon, 22 Jul 2019 - 13:20
Post #5

Don’t take legal advice from secretaries (or anyone else) at the courts.

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
Reuben1111
post Mon, 22 Jul 2019 - 13:27
Post #6

QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Mon, 22 Jul 2019 - 14:20) *
Don’t take legal advice from secretaries (or anyone else) at the courts.

Do you know a good solicitor for driving offence that are trusted an not just after people’s money, I really need to get this sorted out ASAP especially with my insurance iv been with provident insurance for 3 years an never declared these points iv not known about I don’t want to get into any more trouble.
Thanks

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Mon, 22 Jul 2019 - 13:57
Post #7

Member No.: 317

You simply ask the court for an appointment to make a statutory declaration, at the hearing you make the declaration and as long as you can state you were unaware of the court action and found out about it less than 21 days before then they have no discretion to decline.

There really is no need for a solicitor.

This post has been edited by The Rookie: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 - 13:57

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
BaggieBoy
post Mon, 22 Jul 2019 - 14:00
Post #8

Member No.: 5,183

I'm not seeing a simple way out of this, on the face of it you are guilty of the Failing To Name offence, just saying you don't know who was driving isn't going to cut it as a defence. So doing a Stat Dec is just going to put you back where you need to defend the charge again, on the face of it the outcome will be the same.

+Quote Post
Reuben1111
post Mon, 22 Jul 2019 - 14:07
Post #9

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Mon, 22 Jul 2019 - 14:57) *
You simply ask the court for an appointment to make a statutory declaration, at the hearing you make the declaration and as long as you can state you were unaware of the court action and found out about it less than 21 days before then they have no discretion to decline.

Hi the rookie,
Thanks for your comment I did read on the forums this morning and rang the courts straight away the lady on the phone said I wasn’t able to start a statuary declaration because I had replied to the first letter acknowledging I didn’t know who was driving. Do you know if I could re open the case an at least go guilty for the speeding offence as my insurance are saying they can no longer insure me if I have a MS90.
Any help would be really appreciated
Thanks

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Mon, 22 Jul 2019 - 14:59
Post #10

QUOTE (BaggieBoy @ Mon, 22 Jul 2019 - 15:00) *
I'm not seeing a simple way out of this, on the face of it you are guilty of the Failing To Name offence, just saying you don't know who was driving isn't going to cut it as a defence. So doing a Stat Dec is just going to put you back where you need to defend the charge again, on the face of it the outcome will be the same.

Except a discount for a guilty plea.

QUOTE (Reuben1111 @ Mon, 22 Jul 2019 - 15:07) *
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Mon, 22 Jul 2019 - 14:57) *

Hi the rookie,
Thanks for your comment I did read on the forums this morning and rang the courts straight away the lady on the phone said I wasn’t able to start a statuary declaration because I had replied to the first letter acknowledging I didn’t know who was driving. Do you know if I could re open the case an at least go guilty for the speeding offence as my insurance are saying they can no longer insure me if I have a MS90.
Any help would be really appreciated
Thanks

If the court won’t make the necessary arrangements do the declaration in front of a solicitor and post it to the court. It sounds like a classic case of an unqualified clerk deciding they know best!

--------------------

+Quote Post
big_mac
post Mon, 22 Jul 2019 - 15:32
Post #11

Member No.: 32,760

QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Mon, 22 Jul 2019 - 15:59) *

but potentially an extra 3 years of declaring it to an insurance company?

+Quote Post
BaggieBoy
post Mon, 22 Jul 2019 - 15:42
Post #12

Member No.: 5,183

I didn't get the impression that pleading guilty was part of the plan to get it sorted.

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Mon, 22 Jul 2019 - 16:03
Post #13

QUOTE (Reuben1111 @ Mon, 22 Jul 2019 - 15:07) *
... the lady on the phone said I wasn’t able to start a statuary declaration because I had replied to the first letter acknowledging I didn’t know who was driving.

OMG (again).

See s14 of Magistrates' Courts Act.

QUOTE (BaggieBoy @ Mon, 22 Jul 2019 - 16:42) *

I didn't get the impression that pleading guilty was part of the plan to get it sorted.

There's a forlorn hope the original speeding charge could be resurrected?

But a lot could depend on the OP's relevant income as the fine (with discount) could be significantly less.

QUOTE (big_mac @ Mon, 22 Jul 2019 - 16:32) *

but potentially an extra 3 years of declaring it to an insurance company?

Convictions are from date of offence. Where does the extra 3 years come from?

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
big_mac
post Mon, 22 Jul 2019 - 16:34
Post #14

Member No.: 32,760

QUOTE (Jlc @ Mon, 22 Jul 2019 - 17:03) *

From what I can see in the ROOA, the rehabilitation period is from the date of conviction

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Mon, 22 Jul 2019 - 16:40
Post #15

QUOTE (big_mac @ Mon, 22 Jul 2019 - 17:34) *
QUOTE (Jlc @ Mon, 22 Jul 2019 - 17:03) *

From what I can see in the ROOA, the rehabilitation period is from the date of conviction

For insurance though?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Redivi
post Mon, 22 Jul 2019 - 17:05
Post #16

Member No.: 96,238

.....they sent me a picture of the rear of the car at night I wasn’t 100% on who was driving replied saying I’m still unable to say who was driving.....

Yet another thread where the OP has an MS90 for giving an honest reply instead of taking a best guess, safe in the knowledge that he/she couldn't be proved wrong

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 15:34
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here