PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

[NIP Wizard] Speeding & Red Light offence?
Bibble
post Tue, 10 Oct 2017 - 12:46
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 71,381

NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? -
Date of the offence: - May 2017
Date of the NIP: - 134 days after the offence
Date you received the NIP: - 138 days after the offence
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): - M6 (Northbound) between Junctions 26 & 27
Was the NIP addressed to you? - Yes
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? - First
If your are not the Registered Keeper, what is your relationship to the vehicle? - Hirer
How many current points do you have? - 0
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons - The accompanying letter says it is a combined NIP for an alleged offence of speeding or contravening a red traffic light.

"recorded speed 50, time into red light 0, for the alleged offence of Exceed a temporary 40 mph speed restriction on a motorway - automatic camera device at 2:15 on 25/09/17 at M6 (Northbound) between Junction 26 & 27, UNITED KINGDOM.

NIP Wizard Responses
These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - No
Is the NIP addressed to you personally? - Yes
Although you are not the Registered Keeper, were you the keeper of the vehicle concerned (the person normally responsible for it) at the time of the alleged offence? - Yes
Were you driving? - Yes
Which country did the alleged offence take place in? - England

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:
  • The law requires you to provide the information requested in the Section 172 notice within the 28 day period, naming yourself as the driver. If you are considering obtaining formal legal advice, do so before returning the notice.

You should note that there is nothing to be gained by responding any earlier than you have to at any stage of the process. You are likely to receive a Conditional Offer of a Fixed Penalty (COFP) and further reminder(s). If you want to continue the fight, you should ignore all correspondence from the police until you receive a summons. You need to understand from the outset that while you will receive much help and support from members on the forums, you will need to put time and effort into fighting your case and ultimately be prepared to stand up in court to defend yourself.

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v3.3.2: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 12:42:33 +0000

Damn it, made a mistake with the dates.

Can't seem to delete this thread. Can a mod do it. I need to redo the whole thing.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 12)
Advertisement
post Tue, 10 Oct 2017 - 12:46
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
BaggieBoy
post Tue, 10 Oct 2017 - 12:50
Post #2

Member No.: 5,183

It's just for speeding, some forces use the same form to notify both types of offences.

+Quote Post
fedup2
post Tue, 10 Oct 2017 - 12:51
Post #3

Member No.: 10,873

Fill in the nip with the driver details....

If you havnt done a course for speeding in the last 3 yrs your going on one or you can take the £100 fine and 3 points

+Quote Post
Bibble
post Tue, 10 Oct 2017 - 12:59
Post #4

QUOTE (BaggieBoy @ Tue, 10 Oct 2017 - 13:50) *
It's just for speeding, some forces use the same form to notify both types of offences.

Sorry guys I messed up the dates on the wizard.

So this is definitely just a speeding NIP?

Its states a "combined" Notice Of Intended Prosecution...Is the key that it was 0 recorded into the red light??? What does that even mean? Or how is it relevant?
I think even a basic grasp of English makes someone believe it's speeding AND red light. These damn forms must be written by people who take pleasure in confusing folk :-(

Thanks man.

QUOTE (fedup2 @ Tue, 10 Oct 2017 - 13:51) *
Fill in the nip with the driver details....

If you havnt done a course for speeding in the last 3 yrs your going on one or you can take the £100 fine and 3 points

I did a speed awareness course on 12th August 2015 so just over 3 years ago. Will I qualify?
Hopefully they are prepare to offer a course.

Thanks man.

+Quote Post
fedup2
post Tue, 10 Oct 2017 - 13:02
Post #5

Member No.: 10,873

The date for the course is date of offence to date of offence,i see no reason For you to not be able to sit one.

+Quote Post
Logician
post Tue, 10 Oct 2017 - 13:15
Post #6

Member No.: 36,528

I make that two years.

--------------------

+Quote Post
progbloke
post Tue, 10 Oct 2017 - 13:17
Post #7

Member No.: 3,329

QUOTE (Bibble @ Tue, 10 Oct 2017 - 13:59) *
I did a speed awareness course on 12th August 2015 so just over 3 years ago. Will I qualify?

EDIT - Pipped to the post sad.gif

This post has been edited by progbloke: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 - 13:17

+Quote Post
Bibble
post Tue, 10 Oct 2017 - 13:18
Post #8

QUOTE (fedup2 @ Tue, 10 Oct 2017 - 14:02) *
The date for the course is date of offence to date of offence,i see no reason For you to not be able to sit one.

Thanks for the reply.

Before I go out of my mind with worry can anyone add to (hopefully agree) with BaggieBoy that this is 'just' a speeding NIP?
It clearly says a "combined NIP" and mentions "time into red light".

I guess if there was a red light offence as well it would state another location for the red light offence. I don't think there are any red lights on the M6...??? sad.gif

Sorry to come off all needy. Bloody clear as mud this letter. wacko.gif

Thanks in advance.

QUOTE (Logician @ Tue, 10 Oct 2017 - 14:15) *
I make that two years.

My maths is terrible. You're right. Looks like it's points and a fine then..???

This post has been edited by Bibble: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 - 13:20

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Tue, 10 Oct 2017 - 13:31
Post #9

Member No.: 49,223

Yes, it's a proforma letter for both offences but only the speeding is relevant here.

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
Bibble
post Tue, 10 Oct 2017 - 13:42
Post #10

QUOTE (Jlc @ Tue, 10 Oct 2017 - 14:31) *
Yes, it's a proforma letter for both offences but only the speeding is relevant here.

Thank you. Much appreciated.

So I should be looking at 3 points..?
50mph in a 40mph seems pretty bad. I've read that anything 41-55 is 3 points. Is that correct.
I know it's all dependent on circumstance and discretion of the police or will this just be automatic???

Is the fine 'likely' to be £100 or is it based on income these days..?
I'm self employed and my wage fluctuates dramatically from month to month. The only way I could give a 'monthly' or 'weekly' income is if I took last years total income and divided it.

Thanks for the help.

+Quote Post
BaggieBoy
post Tue, 10 Oct 2017 - 13:50
Post #11

Member No.: 5,183

QUOTE (Bibble @ Tue, 10 Oct 2017 - 14:42) *
50mph in a 40mph seems pretty bad. I've read that anything 41-55 is 3 points. Is that correct.

Anything up to 65 in a 40 should get a fixed penalty of 3 points and £100. It's only if it goes to court could a higher points tariff apply, but not in this case anyway.

+Quote Post
I am Weasel
post Tue, 10 Oct 2017 - 15:44
Post #12

Member No.: 27,840

The details that you have given are that the date of the NIP is 134 days after the event and you received it 4 days later. How long does the NIP give you to reply? Is is 28 days? I am thinking of 2 possible scenarios here...

Either you reply ASAP as hopefully get a conditional offer of a fixed penalty (COFP) or you leave it as late as possible in replying to ensure that your response is received withing the prescribed limit. In this latter scenario, if you are subsequently given a COFP, you can safely ignore it because it will "timeout". However, those processing your reply might realise this and immediately initiate the summons process, bypassing any fixed penalty. This is not a disaster as a simple guilty plea along with a request to be sentenced at the fixed penalty level should result in a similar outcome.

Others will be along to support and/or criticise this approach

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Tue, 10 Oct 2017 - 15:50
Post #13

Member No.: 49,223

QUOTE (I am Weasel @ Tue, 10 Oct 2017 - 16:44) *
Others will be along to support and/or criticise this approach

....or

QUOTE (Bibble @ Tue, 10 Oct 2017 - 13:46) *
Damn it, made a mistake with the dates.

Can't seem to delete this thread. Can a mod do it. I need to redo the whole thing.

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Sunday, 17th June 2018 - 21:50
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.