PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

School-run drivers in Somerset 'targeted with nails in road'
stamfordman
post Mon, 2 Jul 2018 - 10:40
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 59,924

Police are investigating claims that nails and screws are being glued upright in a road to stop parents on the school run parking in a quiet cul-de-sac.

It is claimed that car drivers who use a street in Somerset to park while they drop their children at a primary school are being targeted. Police say they are treating it as criminal damage.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/ju...h-nails-in-road
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Advertisement
post Mon, 2 Jul 2018 - 10:40
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
DancingDad
post Mon, 2 Jul 2018 - 11:08
Post #2

Member No.: 38,559

I had a puncture so want to blame someone !

Chances are a resident or tradesman spilt some and didn't pick them all up.
How do you glue a nail or screw upright on a road anyway ?

+Quote Post
Redivi
post Mon, 2 Jul 2018 - 11:25
Post #3

Member No.: 96,238

Placing a screw under the wheel - possibly - but not the brightest of ideas if you want to park there yourself afterward

Whenever I was asked to drop the children at school on my way to work, I walked them there and went to work late

Couldn't cope with the mothers using a version of the Highway Code that only they could understand

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Mon, 2 Jul 2018 - 11:39
Post #4

Member No.: 317

So no real evidence at all, 2+2=25!

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
stamfordman
post Mon, 2 Jul 2018 - 11:45
Post #5

Member No.: 59,924

Yes this does look unlikely. We've had at least five punctures from nails, screws and other debris in the past few years and I reckon most have been from stuff that collects near the curb as it's the nearside rear that was involved in four of these.

+Quote Post
Ocelot
post Mon, 2 Jul 2018 - 18:24
Post #6

Member No.: 1,326

“One of the mums was told that if she didn’t stop parking there, she was going to find nails in her tyres,” she added.

A coincidence possibly, but some people do such things.

However, to treat an isolated puncture as criminal damage is stretching it somewhat, I agree.

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Mon, 2 Jul 2018 - 22:09
Post #7

Member No.: 42,618

Once I got a puncture due to a nail. sh!t happens, I got a new tyre. Never occurred to me to report it to anyone.

This post has been edited by cp8759: Mon, 2 Jul 2018 - 22:10

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Thu, 5 Jul 2018 - 12:19
Post #8

Member No.: 90,659

Obviously not condoning nails but seeing people near my daughter's school who have had walls knocked over, pretty grass verges churned up, and all for no good reason as there is an actual car park 100yds away, I see why people get cheesed off.

Perhaps as well as investigating this they could send someone down for a day or two to ticket those parked obstructively. Then it shows sensitivity for both sides.

+Quote Post
glasgow_bhoy
post Sat, 7 Jul 2018 - 22:49
Post #9

Member No.: 22,424

I'd ban cars stopping within 300 yards of a school, UNLESS a proven physical disability dictates the child needs to be driven to the door.

School run parents cause more hassle than even taxi drivers. Some of the driving/parking I see around schools makes me wonder why nobody has called the social in for their kids, as the parents are often missing something upstairs.

Kids need to walk. Never mind sugar taxes and banning 2 for Tuesdays at Dominos. Lets go back to basics and make kids walk!

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Sun, 8 Jul 2018 - 07:26
Post #10

Member No.: 317

A neighbour of ours used to drive her children to school, she lived less than 300yards from the school (her physique and that of her children I’ll leave you to guess at). We live 100 yards further away and never drove them (unless it was part of another journey).

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
Slapdash
post Sun, 8 Jul 2018 - 07:38
Post #11

Member No.: 86,040

The particular school in question is local to me. The catchment area is actually quite large.

The village iself is spread out, over probably two miles.

Like quite a lot of rural somerset the roads are far from ideal for walking. Narrow two lanes and no pavements. The particular main street in the village also has a lot of vehicular parking making it very narrow.

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Sun, 8 Jul 2018 - 14:17
Post #12

QUOTE (Slapdash @ Sun, 8 Jul 2018 - 08:38) *
The particular school in question is local to me. The catchment area is actually quite large.

The village iself is spread out, over probably two miles.

Like quite a lot of rural somerset the roads are far from ideal for walking. Narrow two lanes and no pavements. The particular main street in the village also has a lot of vehicular parking making it very narrow.

Really? From Google Streetview it looks like a pretty compact village with good pavements. The village I live in is mostly spread out along a busy road and yet we still manage the arduous walk to school from the far end of the village. When I was a kid we used to walk from the next village, again without incident.

It does look as if parents should be prevented from driving up the road to the school itself though, short narrow dead end road would be a nightmare. The parents at my daughters school still seem to be learning how to reverse without crashing over kerbs.

And you know what, if they actually do need to improve things, then the school, council and police should put their heads together and work out a plan. Go into a primary school and see how many fat kids there are. Go into a hospital medical ward and see how many middle aged adults are there barely able to walk because they are so fat. This is a big problem, not something we should be kicking down the road because once someone is fat, they generally stay fat, even if they are only 11 years old.

This post has been edited by notmeatloaf: Sun, 8 Jul 2018 - 14:18

+Quote Post
Slapdash
post Sun, 8 Jul 2018 - 15:22
Post #13

Member No.: 86,040

In terms of distance 2 miles is probably a modest exaggeration.

If you approach east brent from brent knoll down the B3140 the distance from the first house in east brent to the A370 is probably 3/4 of a mile.

Then the other side of the A370 is old bristol road which runs to A38 Where it was blocked off about 20 years ago.

Regarding pavement these are very limited from the entrance to the village to the road the school is on. From the end of this road to the A370 they are fine.

The B3140 is also a bit of a rat run (though less so since it was blocked at the A38).

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Sun, 8 Jul 2018 - 19:43
Post #14

Again I don't get why you wouldn't walk to school.

My daughters school is on a ratrun because it avoids the A34. Half the distance to my daughters school has no pavement, so she knows to listen out for cars and walk to the side of the road. The rest of the way half the time a considerate Mum has used the pavement as a private parking space, so she has been taught to look in both directions before passing in the road.

Again, as a kid we had to cross a busy road and then walk on a road with no pavement.

Unless you have murderous drivers desperate to mow down kids circling at 8.45am, or have to cross rolls of razor wire, or the only route to your child's school is down the M1, I have never seen how a walk or cycle along roads in what is a fairly civilised country could be dangerous other than the human inability to weigh up the small danger "something could happen" with the long term problem of having a fat, dependent kid.

But then my daughter doesn't sit in front of a TV eating crisps all day. We've just finished with a chainsaw (difficult with one hand in a cast) and nails building a stand for her slide so that she can have a high speed jump into her paddling pool. But then when I was a kid all the falling out of trees and messing around building our own motorised go kart (turned out to be bloody quick, and also because of the rudimentary clutch easy to flip over) was the best [part, despite all the cuts and bruises.

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Sun, 8 Jul 2018 - 19:50
Post #15

Member No.: 18,483

Bit of a leap to suggest all kids who don’t walk to school are fat, isn’t it?

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
glasgow_bhoy
post Sun, 8 Jul 2018 - 21:20
Post #16

Member No.: 22,424

QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Sun, 8 Jul 2018 - 20:50) *

More likely to be fat though aren't they?

I walked pretty much all the time, and on the rare occasion I did get a lift, I was dropped streets away and made to walk- no matter the weather.

Pre-car ownership, I was never over 9 stone.

Post-car ownership, my weight rocketed to over 13 stone.

Now that I use the car only for commuting and work, I've managed to get back down to just over 10.

Cars cause laziness, and if a kid never learns to walk to where they need to be, they'll never appreciate how good it is for you.

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Sun, 8 Jul 2018 - 21:32
Post #17

Member No.: 18,483

QUOTE (glasgow_bhoy @ Sun, 8 Jul 2018 - 22:20) *

Most probably. However, I find the undertone of sneering at “fatties” distasteful, and it’s not the first time.

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 10:50
Post #18

QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Sun, 8 Jul 2018 - 22:32) *
QUOTE (glasgow_bhoy @ Sun, 8 Jul 2018 - 22:20) *

Most probably. However, I find the undertone of sneering at “fatties” distasteful, and it’s not the first time.

SP, it's not sneering. I work on adult acute wards and see first hand how obesity robs people of quality of life.

I still remember very clearly the first time I saw a morbidly obese 52 year old adult struggle to walk with zimmer frame. He ended up losing his toes on his left foot. Then another who was bedbound and incontinent and needed a ceiling hoist to move around. And another...

I appreciate that "fat shaming" is frowned upon. However, the simple fact is that as a society we are getting fatter. We also know that if you are fat when you are young you are more likely to be fat when you are old.

I really think people need to see what obesity can do to you. I still find it shocking that I am treating people who are seriously ill and in reality will die soon, who should be starting to lie back and enjoy decades of hard work.

Obesity has the same issue as smoking. You're not going to be ill next week, or next year. It's insidious but at some stage it will be too late to go back. Obviously it's more complex than smoking. But I think you have to start looking at societal shifts and start saying things like "Driving your child to school when they can walk is wrong, therefore we will provide money to create a safe path".

"Feeding your child microwave meals every night is wrong, so we will provide equipment and classes to teach you to cook from scratch."

If no-one is ever prepared to say that being fat is harmful and should be discouraged, there will never be any resources to help people change as there was/is with smoking.

If that counts as sneering so be it but it is out of genuine concern because I have seen the ending, and it isn't happy.

I saw my Dad throw away his life and drink himself to death. Again there there was an invisible tipping point. I will, privately, tell anyone they are drinking too much and need to sort their life out if I see the same signs, even if that is being a "kill joy".

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 11:14
Post #19

Member No.: 38,559

Apropos of nothing.
Dunno if it is common to my local hospital or all but I am always struck by the number of overweight staff, nurses, doctors, clerical.
Probably no different proportions to population in general but it strikes me as odd.
Fully agree with NML over the need for something to be done to break the fat kid-fat adult cycle though not convinced it is solely lack of exercise.
Mind you, exercise does help.
I do think that it is often the parents who need educating the most.
Thinking back to my kids at school and the classmates who were bigger then they should be, often the parents were as well and was the parents who would make excuses for the kids, send notes in to get them off sports days and normal PE and the like.

+Quote Post
henrik777
post Mon, 9 Jul 2018 - 16:53
Post #20

Member No.: 24,123

Pre-car ownership, I was never over 9 stone.

Post-car ownership, my weight rocketed to over 13 stone.

Many people are not fully physically developed humans when the are passing driving tests at the minimum age. How many of your age group got heavier without passing a test ?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 29th March 2024 - 10:57
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here