PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Jeremy Vine, How intelligent?
Transit man
post Sat, 10 Nov 2012 - 00:29
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,111

I often listen to Jeremy Vine on Radio 2 & I suppose I would have to say that he must be a fairly intelligent guy, but whenever he is talking on subjects that to me are just common sense he often comes out with the most uninformed, stupid comments.

Recently, whilst talking about a house in a poor state, it transpired that he did not know what cladding on a house was & after a bit he admitted thinking it meant the mortar between the bricks. Later, talking to a mechanic, he was emphatic, that modern cars were impossible to fix as under the bonnet "it's just a sea of plastic", the mechanic explained that there are many things, brake pads, oli & filter changes etc that the home mechanic can & does still do (as I do) & other than the computer side of things, a lot can still be done, he was having none of it, "surely, a car has to go to a garage for everything", was all he kept repeating.

Then yesterday, a classic, talking about cyclist versus car safety (re recent Bradly wiggins case) he said "If a cyclist is hit by say a black cab, the cab will always win as they weigh what? 10 or 12 tonnes", maybe he believes those big red things that carry 50 passengers are black cabs biggrin.gif

Then today, a 2 year old is injured in a freak event of a Harris Hawk landing on his head. It was obvious to me that the bird accidently landed on the poor lad, this was also confirmed by hawking experts, but no, he was having none of it, the hawk "attacked" the lad, so something else for the poor public to worry about rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by Transit man: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 - 00:30

--------------------
Now driving a Mercedes Sprinter, the Transit died of too much work.
Results for last 5 years:-
12 PPC tickets received, 0 paid
2 Council tickets received, 0 paid (both canceled)
2 Nip's in 40 years 1 paid (damn!)
1 SAC, duly educated!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Advertisement
post Sat, 10 Nov 2012 - 00:29
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
glasgow_bhoy
post Sat, 10 Nov 2012 - 01:12
Post #2

Member No.: 22,424

It must be the name Jeremy. We have;

Vine- a radio 2 presenter who I'll take your word as being a little dim
Clarkson- funny, entertaining to a point, but very outragous and becoming predictably scripted
Kyle- total moron. That is all
Hunt- a tory politician. Again, says it all.

Thank God my name ain't Jeremy!!!!

+Quote Post
jimster
post Sat, 10 Nov 2012 - 01:16
Post #3

Member No.: 33,503

QUOTE (Transit man @ Sat, 10 Nov 2012 - 00:29) *
Then today, a 2 year old is injured in a freak event of a Harris Hawk landing on his head. It was obvious to me that the bird accidently landed on the poor lad, this was also confirmed by hawking experts, but no, he was having none of it, the hawk "attacked" the lad, so something else for the poor public to worry about rolleyes.gif

I've not read the story, I would have guessed the hawk was an escapee from a local wildlife centre or falconry

The Harris Hawk is not native here, and the chances of seeing one, never mind being attacked by one, are remote.

As you say, the bird must have been trying to land.

+Quote Post
SCTomkinson
post Sat, 10 Nov 2012 - 09:39
Post #4

Member No.: 36,927

TBH, ive often thought the same of a few radio 2 presenters and other on air staff. I often wonder if they were born in a parallel universe with their obvious lack of common sense and basic knowledge of the world that mere mortals have to encounter every day.

Sarah Kennedy was far the worst. If i was ever out the house before 6:30 and the Radio2 was on as I started driving, it would get switched off or changed channel dam quick.

And here lies the problem with the country IMO.... the (most of) the politicians are the same. They weren't bought up in normal every day society and their view of life isn't the same as us.

+Quote Post
Transit man
post Sat, 10 Nov 2012 - 10:41
Post #5

QUOTE (jimster @ Sat, 10 Nov 2012 - 01:16) *
I've not read the story, I would have guessed the hawk was an escapee from a local wildlife centre or falconry

The Harris Hawk is not native here, and the chances of seeing one, never mind being attacked by one, are remote.

The story was that the hawk was the "pet" of an 18 year old lad. The hawk was in a tree with the lad trying to coax it down, which AIUI, is normal with falconry, the hawk came down & landed on the 2 year old. IMO, an extremely rare if not unique event, luckily the injured toddler got away with a few stitches & will make a full recovery.

In Vine world, the owning of a hawk is on a par with owning a salivating, out of control, totally illegal pit bull terrier, which could be trained to attack on command biggrin.gif Wrong at about every level I would imagine, Whilst I am not an expert, I have seen enough falconry displays to work out that a hawk would be little use as an aggressive weapon, but hey, why let the reality get in the way of another scaremongering story.

Just found the story here, in typical Sun (& Vine) rhetoric, the hawk is described as "crazed", utter c**p. biggrin.gif Whilst I agree that to fly the bird in a childrens park is not the brightest of ideas, the Sun yet again goes over the top.

--------------------
1 SAC, duly educated!

+Quote Post
Fredd
post Sat, 10 Nov 2012 - 11:33
Post #6

Webmaster
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

I had a Harris Hawk do exactly that to me on one of those falconry "experience" days. I think they just see the top of a head as a convenient landing pad on a pole - it's not "crazed" behaviour. Having a pound weight balanced on hard sharp points on your scalp is a bit painful though. blush.gif

--------------------
Regards,
Fredd

Visa, Mastercard, debit card or PayPal account

+Quote Post
WageSlave
post Sat, 10 Nov 2012 - 14:49
Post #7

Member No.: 49,581

QUOTE (Fredd @ Sat, 10 Nov 2012 - 11:33) *
I had a Harris Hawk do exactly that to me on one of those falconry "experience" days. I think they just see the top of a head as a convenient landing pad . . . a bit painful though.

But, on the plus side, it can't look any worse than one of Elton John's wigs.

+Quote Post
captain swoop
post Sat, 10 Nov 2012 - 16:31
Post #8

Member No.: 18,956

On the Vine show he was trying to push the line of the Hawk being the latest craze in 'Status' pets for drug dealers and gang members.

+Quote Post
cobblers1
post Sat, 10 Nov 2012 - 16:33
Post #9

Member No.: 52,463

QUOTE (captain swoop @ Sat, 10 Nov 2012 - 16:31) *
On the Vine show he was trying to push the line of the Hawk being the latest craze in 'Status' pets for drug dealers and gang members.

Haha, I can't wait for the remake of Kes with guns and drugs and suchlike

+Quote Post
Bruno
post Sat, 10 Nov 2012 - 18:45
Post #10

Member No.: 54,458

I often listen to Jeremy Vine on Radio 2 & I suppose I would have to say that he must be a fairly intelligent guy, but whenever he is talking on subjects that to me are just common sense he often comes out with the most uninformed, stupid comments.

Recently, whilst talking about a house in a poor state, it transpired that he did not know what cladding on a house was & after a bit he admitted thinking it meant the mortar between the bricks. Later, talking to a mechanic, he was emphatic, that modern cars were impossible to fix as under the bonnet "it's just a sea of plastic", the mechanic explained that there are many things, brake pads, oli & filter changes etc that the home mechanic can & does still do (as I do) & other than the computer side of things, a lot can still be done, he was having none of it, "surely, a car has to go to a garage for everything", was all he kept repeating.

Then yesterday, a classic, talking about cyclist versus car safety (re recent Bradly wiggins case) he said "If a cyclist is hit by say a black cab, the cab will always win as they weigh what? 10 or 12 tonnes", maybe he believes those big red things that carry 50 passengers are black cabs biggrin.gif

I laughed when he said that bit about the cladding,and the one about the hawk he said something about the chavs and the new replacement for the Staffordshire bull terriers.

+Quote Post
nigel_bytes
post Sat, 10 Nov 2012 - 18:58
Post #11

Member No.: 992

I wonder what he was thinking ? Ha..ha

+Quote Post
Transit man
post Sat, 10 Nov 2012 - 19:41
Post #12

QUOTE (nigel_bytes @ Sat, 10 Nov 2012 - 18:58) *
I wonder what he was thinking ? Ha..ha

"Who the hell is this dick"

That's the hawks thoughts of course biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Bruno @ Sat, 10 Nov 2012 - 18:45) *
and the one about the hawk he said something about the chavs and the new replacement for the Staffordshire bull terriers.

You can imagine him visualising a cast of hawks circling a rival drug dealer preparing to swoop & take the stash biggrin.gif

--------------------
1 SAC, duly educated!

+Quote Post
Ocelot
post Sat, 10 Nov 2012 - 21:30
Post #13

Member No.: 1,326

The DM says the child was 'mauled' by the hawk
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-22...-mean-harm.html

Last week they said a pensioner was 'mauled' by a cat (the supposed 'victim' has a plaster on a scratch):
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-22...use-arrest.html

and, of course, people are frequently 'mauled' by dogs/foxes youy name any animal the DM has a thing against.

+Quote Post
ssfoe
post Sun, 11 Nov 2012 - 04:24
Post #14

Member No.: 26,027

QUOTE (Fredd @ Sat, 10 Nov 2012 - 12:33) *
I had a Harris Hawk do exactly that to me on one of those falconry "experience" days. I think they just see the top of a head as a convenient landing pad on a pole - it's not "crazed" behaviour. Having a pound weight balanced on hard sharp points on your scalp is a bit painful though. blush.gif

Ouch!

+Quote Post
Bruno
post Sun, 11 Nov 2012 - 07:16
Post #15

Member No.: 54,458

QUOTE (Ocelot @ Sat, 10 Nov 2012 - 21:30) *

Last week they said a pensioner was 'mauled' by a cat (the supposed 'victim' has a plaster on a scratch):

and, of course, people are frequently 'mauled' by dogs/foxes youy name any animal the DM has a thing against.

You hav to now watch out for ferrets
http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/Disabled...tail/story.html

+Quote Post
buttonpusher
post Sun, 11 Nov 2012 - 08:53
Post #16

Member No.: 11,066

You can just see them knocking on lots of doors to see who keeps ferrets round there just to get a quote.

+Quote Post
jdh
post Sun, 11 Nov 2012 - 10:09
Post #17

Member No.: 1,224

I often listen too, but Jeremy Vine has never struck me as being particularly intelligent. Yes a lot of what he says is probably devil's advocate stuff and some of it deliberately said to provoke the debate but when he comes out with stuff like the mortar or the 10 ton taxis it shows his real level. Some of his debates are just Jeremy Kyle on the radio.

+Quote Post
Ocelot
post Sun, 11 Nov 2012 - 18:18
Post #18

Member No.: 1,326

QUOTE (Bruno @ Sun, 11 Nov 2012 - 07:16) *
QUOTE (Ocelot @ Sat, 10 Nov 2012 - 21:30) *

You hav to now watch out for ferrets
http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/Disabled...tail/story.html

Aah yes, forgot about that one. Also in DM, and she was also 'mauled'.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-22...-teeth-leg.html

+Quote Post
Aretnap
post Sun, 11 Nov 2012 - 21:24
Post #19

Member No.: 40,109

QUOTE (Bruno @ Sun, 11 Nov 2012 - 07:16) *

If only someone had warned Richard Whiteley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9xHEj3Gk4Q

Being mauled by a ferret can't be that traumatic though - for some people it's a hobby

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferret_legging

+Quote Post
albert2008
post Sun, 11 Nov 2012 - 21:55
Post #20

Member No.: 21,857

QUOTE (Aretnap @ Sun, 11 Nov 2012 - 21:24) *
If only someone had warned Richard Whiteley
Being mauled by a ferret can't be that traumatic though - for some people it's a hobby

the ferret recovered, wink.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 29th March 2024 - 06:55
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here