Car rental company excessive damage costs
Kyp_Durron
post Mon, 4 Jun 2018 - 12:38
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 97,587

My sister has a similar situation to the topic here:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=119043

She hired a car from Green Motion which had an alert on the dashboard that she didn't check straight away and drove off, she stopped and checked through the warning later and found it was a low tyre pressure warning (the car is on run flats). Obviously she made a big mistake by driving away but she's unfortunately inexperienced, she's learnt that lesson now.

She contacted the hire car company who advised she call the breakdown company which she did, they inspected the tyre and found there was a small cut/tear on the part facing into the rim. She asked the breakdown person what had caused the problem but he had said it wasn't anything she had done as she hadn't kerbed the alloy nor was there any sign of damage to the rest of the wheel. He used the sealant kit and she returned to the hire centre, they took the car back and didn't offer another (she had rented the car for three days but no refund for that either) and they told her they'd be charging her £800 for the new tyre and replacement sealant kit.

She refused to sign the agreement for the damages so the company proceeded to take the money from her credit card, she filed a dispute with them and didn't hear anything back until the 45th day which was from the CC company to say they were allowing the payment to go through on the basis that Green Motion had sent a signed agreement with my sister's signature and that their pricing was in line with the BVRLA matrix. The documents are attached but it's very obvious my sister's signature has been copied and pasted into the document as it doesn't line up properly and my sister had checked previously and found that the damage pricing wasn't in line with the BVRLA matrix at all.

Is there any point in her trying to pursue this through the small claims court? Aside from the damage being there when she picked up the car, the costs are excessive - the breakdown they gave her is £400 for the replacement tyre (around £110 for the identical tyre) and £400 for the sealant kit (around £50 for an official Mercedes one).

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Redivi
post Sat, 9 Jun 2018 - 17:01
Post #2

Member No.: 96,238

Quite a long article about their practices in The Guardian today

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/jun/...-car-hire-bills

Interesting comment on the experience of using the BVRLA to arbitrate
If there's an inspection report and an invoice, the BVRLA won't intervene

+Quote Post
Kyp_Durron
post Sun, 10 Jun 2018 - 22:39
Post #3

Member No.: 97,587

QUOTE (Redivi @ Sat, 9 Jun 2018 - 18:01) *
Quite a long article about their practices in The Guardian today

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/jun/...-car-hire-bills

Interesting comment on the experience of using the BVRLA to arbitrate
If there's an inspection report and an invoice, the BVRLA won't intervene

I get the impression the BVRLA are pretty toothless, any instances I've found of them intervening they seem to make little effort and simply take Green Motion at their word.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 19:03
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here