PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Road tax fine, dated hours before I obtained car, but same date
docmcstuffins
post Tue, 16 Apr 2019 - 11:02
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 99,565

I purchased a car on auction on 28/3/19. I have since registered the vehicle in my name and taxed it. I received a letter through the post on 9/4 from DVLA saying that they have received new evidence that I was the date when the vehicle was being kept untaxed. The address of the alleged offence is in Nottingham, 4 hours away from where I live (Exeter)! The date is the same day I obtained the car but the time is 6.08am. I obviously had to say I obtained the vehicle on the 28th when I filled in the registration form, but there is no place to put the time I got it, which was the afternoon of that day. I'm now in a bit of a pickle as my V5 says I obtained the vehicle on 28th and the fine is dated the morning hours of that day. I'm worried if I dispute it they will give me another fine for not taxing it till 10th April (10 days after obtaining it) though I did not drive it, so no cameras caught me, and I didn't receive a note from the police on my car. How do I dispute this without getting myself into more trouble?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
Advertisement
post Tue, 16 Apr 2019 - 11:02
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
DancingDad
post Tue, 16 Apr 2019 - 12:46
Post #2

Member No.: 38,559

If you bought it at auction, there will be a bill of sale, may even be timed.

Auction house records may show time of purchase, almost certainly they can give time the auction started and running order, it's all computerised so a solid time stamp should be possible.
Collect what you can, copy it all, send it to DVLA with a covering letter that says "it was not me because..."

Not taxed after purchase (or SORN) could lead to further but assuming you have taxed it and that covers the untaxed period, probably not a lot to worry on.
The only issue I see on that is you say purchased on 28/3/19.
Which means that you should have taxed/SORN on the 28th...… Does the new tax cover March ?

+Quote Post
docmcstuffins
post Tue, 16 Apr 2019 - 14:31
Post #3

Member No.: 99,565

QUOTE (DancingDad @ Tue, 16 Apr 2019 - 13:46) *

Auction house records may show time of purchase, almost certainly they can give time the auction started and running order, it's all computerised so a solid time stamp should be possible.
Collect what you can, copy it all, send it to DVLA with a covering letter that says "it was not me because..."

Not taxed after purchase (or SORN) could lead to further but assuming you have taxed it and that covers the untaxed period, probably not a lot to worry on.
Which means that you should have taxed/SORN on the 28th...… Does the new tax cover March ?

Unfortunately, the receipt only states the date. The only evidence I have is this receipt and the V5

Yes, the tax covers march as well (15th march which is 2 weeks before I got it) But I didn't see the need to dispute it because it's a very small amount anyway. I'm assuming the vehicle was untaxed since then and they just found a scapegoat for that period.

+Quote Post
NeverMind
post Tue, 16 Apr 2019 - 14:48
Post #4

Member No.: 50,387

QUOTE (docmcstuffins @ Tue, 16 Apr 2019 - 15:31) *
Unfortunately, the receipt only states the date. The only evidence I have is this receipt and the V5

Did you pay by card or electronic transfer? The transaction will be timestamped on your statement

Yes, the tax covers march as well (15th march which is 2 weeks before I got it) But I didn't see the need to dispute it because it's a very small amount anyway. I'm assuming the vehicle was untaxed since then and they just found a scapegoat for that period.

What's the fifteenth got to do with anything? I thought the tax still always ran from the 1st of the month?

+Quote Post
post Tue, 16 Apr 2019 - 15:42
Post #5

Member No.: 47,602

Even the DVLA should understand that an auction house wouldn't be operating before 6.08 a.m.

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Tue, 16 Apr 2019 - 15:49
Post #6

QUOTE (666 @ Tue, 16 Apr 2019 - 16:42) *

Even the DVLA should understand that an auction house wouldn't be operating before 6.08 a.m.

You would think so.
But they need to be told and to have some evidence that they can file to be able to tick the box "Proof Supplied"
OP needs to get back onto auction house, explain and see what they can supply, I would not be surprised if they could time stamp the hammer fall and would be surprised if they could not time stamp the payment.

+Quote Post
Logician
post Wed, 17 Apr 2019 - 11:19
Post #7

Member No.: 36,528

QUOTE (NeverMind @ Tue, 16 Apr 2019 - 14:48) *
What's the fifteenth got to do with anything? I thought the tax still always ran from the 1st of the month?

Perhaps the previous owner told the DVLA that he was no longer the keeper from 15th March, when he sent it to auction, and the DVLA then cancelled the road tax. But someone was driving it early on the day of the auction, and that is unlikely to have been the auctioneers.

--------------------

+Quote Post
KH_
post Wed, 17 Apr 2019 - 17:23
Post #8

Member No.: 66,409

QUOTE (Logician @ Wed, 17 Apr 2019 - 12:19) *
But someone was driving it early on the day of the auction, and that is unlikely to have been the auctioneers.

I worked at a car auction for a while, long time ago admittedly, it would have been '88 or '89. We were regularly sent out in a minibus and dropped off to pick up cars, usually from a dealer but also from private sellers. I once got a Porsche to bring back, took the very long route biggrin.gif

It's unlikely but not impossible that it was an auction employee driving it, we used to start around 7am for 11am sales.
I guess nowadays they might have trade plates, we never did but times were different back then smile.gif

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Wed, 17 Apr 2019 - 21:29
Post #9

QUOTE (KH_ @ Wed, 17 Apr 2019 - 18:23) *
QUOTE (Logician @ Wed, 17 Apr 2019 - 12:19) *
But someone was driving it early on the day of the auction, and that is unlikely to have been the auctioneers.

I worked at a car auction for a while, long time ago admittedly, it would have been '88 or '89. We were regularly sent out in a minibus and dropped off to pick up cars, usually from a dealer but also from private sellers. I once got a Porsche to bring back, took the very long route biggrin.gif

It's unlikely but not impossible that it was an auction employee driving it, we used to start around 7am for 11am sales.
I guess nowadays they might have trade plates, we never did but times were different back then smile.gif

My suspicions would be that something very much like that happened, may even have been the old owner driving it in.

At the moment DVLA are simply tying it in on the dates.
As long as Op can verify time in some fashion, it difficult to see how any successful prosecution could happen.
But first step has to be give evidence to show DVLA that they didn't own it before the start of the auction or at some time during it or after it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 21:24
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here