Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Nominated as driver on NIP for a similar registration number
smarties99
post Mon, 12 Nov 2018 - 15:52
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 100,895

Hi,

Really weird one! Received a NIP in the post recently, placing me almost 200 miles away from my home.

The car in question is a very similar registration to a car I own, but not the same. Initially I thought that whoever issued the NIP had made a typo when looking up my registration number, and then sent the NIP to owner of the wrong car. I looked at the pictures online, completely different car to the one I own. The pictures match the reg on the NIP.

However, I've phoned the number on the NIP today to discuss, and it turns out that someone has nominated me as the driver!

It appears what they have done is to somehow look up the owner address details of a car with a similar plate to their own, and then submit that as the nominated driver.

I can't begin to imagine why they would do this, or how they thought I wouldn't notice that the reg was wrong and that my address was miles away from where the offence occurred.

It's also puzzling that someone would be able to look up owner details so readily - surely that means they have access to police or DVLA databases?

The processing centre seem to have accepted what I have said and can see when they look up my real reg it comes up with the same address as nominated, and have asked me to send a letter explaining my POV and attaching some photos of my own car, which I've done.

I've raised some concerns within the letter and asked for them to be addressed.

I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this somewhat puzzling NIP? Am I likely to hear anymore about it?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Advertisement
post Mon, 12 Nov 2018 - 15:52
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
The Rookie
post Mon, 12 Nov 2018 - 16:05
Post #2

Member No.: 317

Is your car registered to you or is it a company lease or finance car where that company would be the registered keeper?

If so it’s a logical explanation that they got the NIP and typed in the number slightly wrong and brought up your details in error, bit of a data protection issue, but nothing more sinister than that. They often have large batches with cars of similar registrations.

It won’t be from the DVLA and nor will they have said you were driving, but mistakenly as the keeper.

If someone else is the registered keeper, have you tried calling them and asking?

Meanwhile reply to the NIP in writing stating that you have no knowledge of the car at all and believe you must have been named in error, that you were circa 200 miles away at the time of the offence.

You use the word THEY, but who do you mean by they?

This post has been edited by The Rookie: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 - 16:05

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Mon, 12 Nov 2018 - 16:26
Post #3

Member No.: 42,618

Getting someone else's details is not that hard if you're willing to break the law, as someone willing to submit a false nomination would clearly not be averse to doing.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
smarties99
post Mon, 12 Nov 2018 - 19:12
Post #4

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Mon, 12 Nov 2018 - 16:05) *
Is your car registered to you or is it a company lease or finance car where that company would be the registered keeper?

If so it’s a logical explanation that they got the NIP and typed in the number slightly wrong and brought up your details in error, bit of a data protection issue, but nothing more sinister than that. They often have large batches with cars of similar registrations.

It won’t be from the DVLA and nor will they have said you were driving, but mistakenly as the keeper.

If someone else is the registered keeper, have you tried calling them and asking?

Meanwhile reply to the NIP in writing stating that you have no knowledge of the car at all and believe you must have been named in error, that you were circa 200 miles away at the time of the offence.

You use the word THEY, but who do you mean by they?

No, it's registered to me. The vehicle speeding isn't a company vehicle either, it's a 17 year old car!

I have no details of the registered keeper so can't call them.

I've already written back to explain that I wasn't driving the vehicle, I've never driven the vehicle and don't know the owner.

When I say 'they' I'm referring to the registered keeper who has fraudulently claimed I was driving.

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Mon, 12 Nov 2018 - 22:19
Post #5

Well if someone was stupid enough to try this to get out of a speeding fine, they may well end up in this thread:http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=120923

If you ask DVLA who has made a request to access your details (using a DSAR) they will disclose this to you. They used to cost £10 but under GDPR it's now free.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Tue, 13 Nov 2018 - 07:55
Post #6

I doubt the registered keeper used the DVLA to access the data, the registered keeper (or whoever replied) has presumably got the details from somewhere else, maybe sold you something on eBay or something like that.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Tue, 13 Nov 2018 - 12:09
Post #7

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Tue, 13 Nov 2018 - 07:55) *
I doubt the registered keeper used the DVLA to access the data, the registered keeper (or whoever replied) has presumably got the details from somewhere else, maybe sold you something on eBay or something like that.

Who advertises their number plate when selling some random thing on ebay? Unless you're selling the car of course, in which case you'd no longer be the RK.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nigelbb
post Tue, 13 Nov 2018 - 12:42
Post #8

Member No.: 60,602

I wonder if this is some sort of misguided wheeze by the RK of the car in question to try & claim that the paperwork is all messed up & escape responsibility for the speeding fine?

--------------------
British Parking Association Ltd Code of Practice(Appendix C contains Schedule 4 of POFA 2012 ) & can be found here http://www.britishparking.co.uk/Code-of-Pr...ance-monitoring
DfT Guidance on Section 56 and Schedule 4 of POFA 2012 https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/syste...ing-charges.pdf
Damning OFT advice on levels of parking charges that was ignored by the BPA Ltd Reference Request Number: IAT/FOIA/135010 – 12 October 2012

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Tue, 13 Nov 2018 - 12:47
Post #9

QUOTE (nigelbb @ Tue, 13 Nov 2018 - 12:42) *
I wonder if this is some sort of misguided wheeze by the RK of the car in question to try & claim that the paperwork is all messed up & escape responsibility for the speeding fine?

I hope it is, will make an entertaining story when it all comes out in the wash.

--------------------

+Quote Post
BertB
post Tue, 13 Nov 2018 - 13:09
Post #10

Member No.: 51,087

QUOTE (cp8759 @ Tue, 13 Nov 2018 - 13:09) *

Who advertises their number plate when selling some random thing on ebay? Unless you're selling the car of course, in which case you'd no longer be the RK.

I agree. But we'll look silly if it turns out his eBay user name is KE52 LGS laugh.gif

OP - how similar is the other plate to yours? I

t does seem odd that someone can switch a digit, ask the DVLA for keeper details and hope that it throws up some detail that can be used. Unless they have direct access to the DVLA and can type in random numbers. Do BPA members and local authorities still have direct access to the database?

+Quote Post
smarties99
post Tue, 13 Nov 2018 - 13:44
Post #11

I've looked at the DVLA subject access request information on their site, however it seems more to be to do with what information they hold on you (in line with GDPR) rather than WHO has accessed your information. So I'm not sure this avenue is worth pursuing, unless anyone can advise differently?

I find it difficult to believe that registered keeper has got my details from anywhere else other than a vehicle database. The offence was committed over 200 miles away from me (that's not to say that this person lives more locally than that, but unlikely) and I'm not in the habit of slapping my reg plate and personal details over the Internet! If I search for my number plate in a search engine, it returns only two results - one on regit.cars and one on rate-driver.co.uk - both generic sites that list all plates that are manufactured, and there's certainly no link to any of my personal information.

The vehicle committing the speeding offence has a very similar plate to mine. It's basically two adjacent characters swapped around. The rest is identical. So if mine is AB16 CDE, his is AB61 CDE

None of it makes any sense to me. Clearly the keeper must have something to lose to go to these extremes (perhaps he's looking at a totting up ban?) but what he's done just seems a bit idiotic. He surely must have realised that no one is going to just admit liability when they didn't commit the offence?!

BTW I'm only saying 'he' because that's the language the police call centre used "we initially wrote to the registered keeper and he's nominated you as driving at the time the offence was committed"

Looking around online it looks like he now risks a potential prison sentence?! All for 3 points and a £100 fine. Something doesn't add up....

I too would like to know how this ultimately pans out, but I suspect it will be difficult for me to find out - it's not like they are going to keep me in the loop!

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Tue, 13 Nov 2018 - 13:44
Post #12

QUOTE (cp8759 @ Tue, 13 Nov 2018 - 12:09) *

Eh? The number plate didn’t need to be advertised on eBay, whoever gave the details just needs a name and address. The fact it’s similar would appear to be a coincidence.

--------------------

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
smarties99
post Tue, 13 Nov 2018 - 13:53
Post #13

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Tue, 13 Nov 2018 - 13:44) *

Eh? The number plate didn’t need to be advertised on eBay, whoever gave the details just needs a name and address. The fact it’s similar would appear to be a coincidence.

Come on.....what are the chances of this guy picking a random eBay contact to nominate and that person have an almost identical number plate?! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

This guy has deliberately looked up the address of an almost identical number plate and nominated the driver. Of that I think we can be certain...

+Quote Post
BertB
post Tue, 13 Nov 2018 - 15:53
Post #14

Member No.: 51,087

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Tue, 13 Nov 2018 - 14:44) *

laugh.gif

Can the OP please confirm if he has recently bought anything on eBay from the rough area of the offence?

Actually, just to cover every possibility, has the OP ever bought anything on eBay/Gumtree from anywhere in the country? This person may have kept your details on record for years in case an opportunity ever came up to pin a speeding charge on you while crossing their fingers that by coincidence you may own a car with one transposed digit in the number plate.

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Tue, 13 Nov 2018 - 16:32
Post #15

QUOTE (smarties99 @ Tue, 13 Nov 2018 - 13:53) *
Come on.....what are the chances of this guy picking a random eBay contact to nominate and that person have an almost identical number plate?! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

This guy has deliberately looked up the address of an almost identical number plate and nominated the driver. Of that I think we can be certain...

+1, I'm not one for conspiracy theories but there's a few too many coincidences in this case.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Tue, 13 Nov 2018 - 17:47
Post #16

The problem then is how did he look it up, he’d either have to be in the Police (no record of the lookup would be at DVLA then anyway) or in a relevant council/ other official capacity department (and both those would risk his job), or even less likely use form V888 and spin a yarn as to why he needed the details, and given the DVLA time lag on V888 applications he would have had to do that in advance of getting a NIP.

For me it seems more likely he has the name and address from somewhere else and the number similarity is a coincidence.

Or it’s back to my previous supposition that for whatever reason an organisation was approached (for a reason we don’t know) and made a slight error in the lookup.

This post has been edited by The Rookie: Tue, 13 Nov 2018 - 17:47

--------------------

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
andy_foster
post Tue, 13 Nov 2018 - 20:17
Post #17

Group Icon

Group: Life Member
Member No.: 1,624

QUOTE (smarties99 @ Mon, 12 Nov 2018 - 15:52) *
However, I've phoned the number on the NIP today to discuss, and it turns out that someone has nominated me as the driver!

Most likely explanation is that what you were told was a terminological inexactitude. However, applying Hanlon's razor, it seems likely that this is due to poor procedures and employing idiots, than any form of deliberate dishonesty.

We have had cases here where the police speculatively sent out NIPs to the RKs of all vehicles matching a partial number plate - without giving any indication that there were merely fishing, and cases where the computer system has shown a driver nomination when a reminder NIP was issued.

--------------------
Andy

Some people think that I make them feel stupid. To be fair, they deserve most of the credit.

+Quote Post
bill w
post Tue, 13 Nov 2018 - 23:05
Post #18

Member No.: 14,341

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Tue, 13 Nov 2018 - 18:47) *

The problem then is how did he look it up, he’d either have to be in the Police (no record of the lookup would be at DVLA then anyway) or in a relevant council/ other official capacity department (and both those would risk his job), or even less likely use form V888 and spin a yarn as to why he needed the details, and given the DVLA time lag on V888 applications he would have had to do that in advance of getting a NIP.

For me it seems more likely he has the name and address from somewhere else and the number similarity is a coincidence.

Or it’s back to my previous supposition that for whatever reason an organisation was approached (for a reason we don’t know) and made a slight error in the lookup.

Just an offbeat thought, I wonder if the OP has recently received a PCN from a PPC.
Don't they have electronic access to the DVLA keepers database?

+Quote Post
Sparxy
post Wed, 14 Nov 2018 - 00:57
Post #19

Member No.: 34,394

QUOTE (smarties99 @ Mon, 12 Nov 2018 - 15:52) *

Might be worth double checking someone HAS actually nominated you, versus a mistake on their end. A misread, and you (the keeper) receiving the first s172/nip seems more likely than someone nominating you directly.

+Quote Post
TonyS
post Wed, 14 Nov 2018 - 08:45
Post #20

Member No.: 60,732

Does the reason actually matter in the end? As I understand it the OP is not the registered keeper, nor is he the person keeping the vehicle. So his obligation is to supply any information in his power, which is basically just that. Do the forms typically have a box to tick saying "I was not the person keeping the vehicle"?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 29th March 2024 - 11:30
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here