PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Sold car and Dartford Crossing charge
nstofberg
post Sun, 12 Jan 2020 - 09:17
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,283

On 26 Dec I received an email stating that the payment for my Dartford Crossing has failed.
The issue is that I old that car over 2 years ago when I moved to Australia.

I messaged Dartford Crossing and explained that I have sold the car and left the country. They said that they have no removed the car from my account but I am still liable for the charge up until I notified them to remove the vehicle.
Surely if the charge is left unpaid, they will issue a PCN to the registered owner/keeper according to the V5 document / details held by DVLA?

Can I just leave this or what options do I have?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
Advertisement
post Sun, 12 Jan 2020 - 09:17
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Incandescent
post Sun, 12 Jan 2020 - 10:21
Post #2

Member No.: 54,455

The law is that the registered keeper at the time of the contravention is responsible for payment or appeal, even though you might have had an account, you may not have been the registered keeper. I would say not to worry.

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Sun, 12 Jan 2020 - 18:13
Post #3

Member No.: 42,618

As long as the registration was properly updated at the time, you don't need to do anything as any PCN will go to whoever the keeper was at the time of the contravention. I hope you didn't have a lot of credit in your dart account as whoever's had the car since might have had a few crossings paid by you.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
nstofberg
post Wed, 15 Jan 2020 - 23:36
Post #4

Member No.: 6,283

Thanks both.
Just received the below response to my reply stating that the registered keeper is responsible.

"Thank you for your reply regarding your outstanding crossing.

Please note that any contact you have had with the DVLA, any penalty charges the vehicle may incur, and your contractual obligations are not related. As such, this is a false equivalent which cannot be responded to.

You have agreed to be held liable for all crossings by vehicles undertaken while registered to your account.

As such, your outstanding crossing is in line with your demonstrated wishes at the time of the crossing, for which you as the account holder are liable.

Please cover your outstanding crossing, as you are contractually obliged to do, by adding a card to your account, or by calling us to make a direct payment."

+Quote Post
whitewing
post Thu, 16 Jan 2020 - 09:02
Post #5

Member No.: 6,999

The contract thing sounds a bit dubious to me. If they believe a contract exists, ask them so show evidence of it. Clicking "I agree" doesn't prove who clicked ( has this ever been tested in court I wonder ?)

I'd suggest setting up a new account under a different name/email so you can see the exact wording of the terms and conditions.

This post has been edited by whitewing: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 - 09:16

+Quote Post
whitewing
post Thu, 16 Jan 2020 - 09:15
Post #6

Member No.: 6,999

I found this in the T&Cs at

https://www.dartford-crossing-charge.servic..._Conditions.pdf

9. Inactive Accounts If you do not use your Account for a period of more than 12 consecutive months then we will write to you to inform you of your non-use (the Non-use Letter) and if you do not recommence using the Account within 90 days of the date of the Non-use Letter, we may close your Account and cancel any Tag linked to your Account

If there have been no crossings in 15 months, then you can claim that you had a reasonable assumption that the account has been closed, and therefore no liability could occur.

The issue is that I old that car over 2 years ago when I moved to Australia.

If you're not living here then I wouldn't bother doing anything about it

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 29th March 2024 - 05:37
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here