Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

PCM Windscreen Ticket Parked Outside Block Of Flats
snowman816
post Tue, 6 Nov 2018 - 07:35
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,633

Hi

I wanted to find out if there were any grounds for appeal for the following which was received

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Advertisement
post Tue, 6 Nov 2018 - 07:35
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
The Slithy Tove
post Tue, 6 Nov 2018 - 08:02
Post #2

Member No.: 52,178

Signs are forbidding. There is no offer to park. Therefore you cannot have entered into or breached any kind of contract. You have trespassed, and only the landowner can seek remedy for that.

An appeal based on that will be rejected, but who cares? You won't be paying a penny.

DO NOT reveal who the driver was in any communication. The ticket does not conform to POFA (unless there is POFA info on the back), so there is no keeper liability. They can only pursue the driver, and you won't be saying who that was.

+Quote Post
ostell
post Tue, 6 Nov 2018 - 08:43
Post #3

Member No.: 60,457

Are you an owner? Have you read this? especially Jopson v Homeguard.

+Quote Post
snowman816
post Wed, 7 Nov 2018 - 07:26
Post #4

QUOTE (The Slithy Tove @ Tue, 6 Nov 2018 - 09:02) *
Signs are forbidding. There is no offer to park. Therefore you cannot have entered into or breached any kind of contract. You have trespassed, and only the landowner can seek remedy for that.

An appeal based on that will be rejected, but who cares? You won't be paying a penny.

DO NOT reveal who the driver was in any communication. The ticket does not conform to POFA (unless there is POFA info on the back), so there is no keeper liability. They can only pursue the driver, and you won't be saying who that was.

Thanks for reply, there is details on how to pay on the back (let me know if should upload this)

Would I make an appeal stating I am the RK not the driver when they send through further correspondence via post?

QUOTE (ostell @ Tue, 6 Nov 2018 - 09:43) *
Are you an owner? Have you read this? especially Jopson v Homeguard.

Interesting, I manage a few of the properties in the block and was there to drop some keys off so not sure if that could still warrant parking there

+Quote Post
ostell
post Wed, 7 Nov 2018 - 08:39
Post #5

So with a windscreen ticket you appeal as the keeper who has been handed the windscreen ticket so that it arrives on about day 26 after the event. You are not liable, the signs are forbidding and cannot possibly create a contract, only the landowner can take action for trespass and you have the right to park there.

The intention is to make them not apply to the DVLA for your details or not send a Notice to Keeper. EIther is a failure of POFA and they cannot then hold the keeper liable. They cannot apply to the DVLA for keeper details until day 28 and they have to get the NTK to you within 56 days after the event, hence the timing to give a small as possible window. When you appeal use a slightly different name and address as that on the V5. Not sufficient to cause delivery problems but sufficient that you know they haven''t got the details from the DVLA.

This post has been edited by ostell: Wed, 7 Nov 2018 - 08:42

+Quote Post
The Slithy Tove
post Wed, 7 Nov 2018 - 10:52
Post #6

Member No.: 52,178

QUOTE (snowman816 @ Wed, 7 Nov 2018 - 07:26) *
Would I make an appeal stating I am the RK not the driver when they send through further correspondence via post?

You appeal as the KEEPER, so no "I" or "me" at all. You can only deny being the driver if that was actually the case (don't say here whether or not it is the case). Best to say nothing on the matter.

+Quote Post
Eljayjay
post Wed, 7 Nov 2018 - 11:41
Post #7

Member No.: 91,235

You should probably take a look at and heed emergencychimp's thread. He/she was picking-up keys and a parking permit.

In my opinion, a defence based on forbidding signage is likely to have a much greater chance of success than a defence based on leaseholder rights and Jopson v Homeguard in your case.

+Quote Post
snowman816
post Thu, 8 Nov 2018 - 19:52
Post #8

QUOTE (Eljayjay @ Wed, 7 Nov 2018 - 12:41) *
You should probably take a look at and heed emergencychimp's thread. He/she was picking-up keys and a parking permit.

In my opinion, a defence based on forbidding signage is likely to have a much greater chance of success than a defence based on leaseholder rights and Jopson v Homeguard in your case.

Would you mind elaborating on this please?

+Quote Post
Eljayjay
post Thu, 8 Nov 2018 - 20:17
Post #9

Member No.: 91,235

Click on Members and do a search for emergencychimp to find his thread and read it. [I presume that emergencychimp is a male.]

Very briefly, emergencychimp went on an errand to collect some keys to an apartment and the parking permit on a change of tenancy.

He was not a party to the lease (with the result that he could take no comfort from the wording of the lease) and he was not delivering or collecting either an awkward or heavy load (with the result that he could take no comfort from the judgement in Jopson v Homeguard). [You can find the transcript of the Jopson v Homeguard case on the Parking Prankster's website in the Case Law section.] Despite that, he tried to use the lease and Jopson v Homeguard in his defence. He lost.

In the Case Law section of the Parking Prankster's website, you will also find the transcript for PCMUK v Bull et al. Bull and the others successfully defended the case against them because of forbidding signage - in essence (and I am paraphrasing), in this case, the parking operator in its signs said "NO PARKING" in one breath but, in the next breath, said "if you park, it will cost you £100" - that is not allowed.

+Quote Post
snowman816
post Fri, 9 Nov 2018 - 18:42
Post #10

QUOTE (Eljayjay @ Thu, 8 Nov 2018 - 21:17) *
Click on Members and do a search for emergencychimp to find his thread and read it. [I presume that emergencychimp is a male.]

Very briefly, emergencychimp went on an errand to collect some keys to an apartment and the parking permit on a change of tenancy.

He was not a party to the lease (with the result that he could take no comfort from the wording of the lease) and he was not delivering or collecting either an awkward or heavy load (with the result that he could take no comfort from the judgement in Jopson v Homeguard). [You can find the transcript of the Jopson v Homeguard case on the Parking Prankster's website in the Case Law section.] Despite that, he tried to use the lease and Jopson v Homeguard in his defence. He lost.

In the Case Law section of the Parking Prankster's website, you will also find the transcript for PCMUK v Bull et al. Bull and the others successfully defended the case against them because of forbidding signage - in essence (and I am paraphrasing), in this case, the parking operator in its signs said "NO PARKING" in one breath but, in the next breath, said "if you park, it will cost you £100" - that is not allowed.

Great thanks for the clarification, I will read it and put together appeal based on this just before 28 day period

+Quote Post
SchoolRunMum
post Sat, 10 Nov 2018 - 16:17
Post #11

Member No.: 32,130

QUOTE (ostell @ Wed, 7 Nov 2018 - 09:39) *
So with a windscreen ticket you appeal [b]as the keeper who has been handed the windscreen ticket so that it arrives on about day 26 after the event. You are not liable, the signs are forbidding and cannot possibly create a contract, only the landowner can take action for trespass.

Do as ostell advises - appeal as above.

I manage a few of the properties in the block and was there to drop some keys off so not sure if that could still warrant parking there

Complain to the Managing Agents, surely they will cancel the PCN if you ask politely and/or explain how you can avoid scam PCNs in future, maybe giving you a generic permit to park in a visitors' bay in future? They cannot be intending to punish people like you, surely - push them for an answer on that, and you KNOW that they can cancellation, so ask.

+Quote Post
snowman816
post Tue, 13 Nov 2018 - 06:44
Post #12

QUOTE (SchoolRunMum @ Sat, 10 Nov 2018 - 16:17) *
QUOTE (ostell @ Wed, 7 Nov 2018 - 09:39) *
So with a windscreen ticket you appeal [b]as the keeper who has been handed the windscreen ticket so that it arrives on about day 26 after the event. You are not liable, the signs are forbidding and cannot possibly create a contract, only the landowner can take action for trespass.

Do as ostell advises - appeal as above.

I manage a few of the properties in the block and was there to drop some keys off so not sure if that could still warrant parking there

Complain to the Managing Agents, surely they will cancel the PCN if you ask politely and/or explain how you can avoid scam PCNs in future, maybe giving you a generic permit to park in a visitors' bay in future? They cannot be intending to punish people like you, surely - push them for an answer on that, and you KNOW that they can cancellation, so ask.

Thank you SRM,

I will speak to managing agent to see if they can help, unfortunately there are no visitor bays associated with the block.

In the interim should I put together an appeal based on Ostell/Your comments?

Are my GOA based on being keeper and not disclosing driver (as well as sending so it reaches on day 26)

+Quote Post
nosferatu1001
post Wed, 14 Nov 2018 - 08:22
Post #13

Member No.: 15,642

Appeal will be they havent met keeper liability so sod off.

+Quote Post
snowman816
post Sun, 9 Dec 2018 - 20:37
Post #14

Here is the reply received from PCM

+Quote Post
ostell
post Sun, 9 Dec 2018 - 20:52
Post #15

So now a quick email to the DVLA to see if the have applied for the keepers details

+Quote Post
Redivi
post Sun, 9 Dec 2018 - 21:08
Post #16

Member No.: 96,238

Which version of your address did they use ?

+Quote Post
snowman816
post Mon, 10 Dec 2018 - 19:55
Post #17

QUOTE (ostell @ Sun, 9 Dec 2018 - 20:52) *
So now a quick email to the DVLA to see if the have applied for the keepers details

Is there a specific department I should email ?

They have somehow worked out correct address slightly different name though

+Quote Post
cabbyman
post Mon, 10 Dec 2018 - 19:58
Post #18

Member No.: 16,066

SubjectAccess.Requests@dvla.gov.uk

Get that off to DVLA tonight, if you can.

Include your name, address, vehicle make and model, reg no, date range of the possible enquiry. I would suggest 31/10/18 - 10/12/18. Don't name PCM in case the enquiry came from a different entity.

This post has been edited by cabbyman: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 - 20:02

--------------------
Cabbyman 11 PPCs 0

+Quote Post
snowman816
post Wed, 12 Dec 2018 - 07:07
Post #19

QUOTE (cabbyman @ Mon, 10 Dec 2018 - 19:58) *
SubjectAccess.Requests@dvla.gov.uk

Get that off to DVLA tonight, if you can.

Include your name, address, vehicle make and model, reg no, date range of the possible enquiry. I would suggest 31/10/18 - 10/12/18. Don't name PCM in case the enquiry came from a different entity.

Great thanks for this, was sent yesterday. Will report back once receive a reply

+Quote Post
snowman816
post Sat, 22 Dec 2018 - 09:32
Post #20

I received following from DVLA, confirming an enquiry, are there still any grounds for appeal?

This post has been edited by snowman816: Sat, 22 Dec 2018 - 09:46

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 29th March 2024 - 11:47
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here