Go to the top of the page

Quote Post
ManxRed
post Tue, 10 Jul 2018 - 16:28
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,992

QUOTE (Fredd @ Tue, 10 Jul 2018 - 13:22) *
Their are plenty of people on here who brake the law by breaking to a stop at the curb when they shouldn't of, so I don't think a little matter like a difference in a single letter will kerb there errors.

FTFY.

--------------------
Sometimes I use big words I don't understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.

+Quote Post
Churchmouse
post Wed, 11 Jul 2018 - 01:45
Post #22

Member No.: 20,731

QUOTE (NewJudge @ Tue, 10 Jul 2018 - 13:09) *
The easiest way to differentiate between "license" (the verb) and "licence" (the noun) is to compare them to "advise" (the verb) and "advice" (the noun). Few people would say "I'm looking for advise" so they should not say "I'm looking for my driving license".

It's a useful crutch (and one I use myself), but not one that works particularly well across the pond: I have, in my wallet, both a UK "Driving Licence" and a US "Driver License"...

--Churchmouse

+Quote Post
Tartarus
post Wed, 11 Jul 2018 - 11:28
Post #23

Member No.: 76,324

Yes it's "license" for both noun and verb in the US. Ditto "defense".

+Quote Post
jdh
post Thu, 12 Jul 2018 - 10:13
Post #24

Member No.: 1,224

QUOTE (ManxRed @ Tue, 10 Jul 2018 - 11:24) *
I often take great delight in redlining 'license/licence' dozens and dozens of times on contract templates that have supposedly come from the Legal departments of UK companies.

You'd be surprised (or maybe not).
I received an invoice worth several £ks purportedly from a company I'm legally obliged to deal with but it was absolutely riddled with the incorrect spelling of their product. I sent a copy of this email to the enquiries email address on their website along with a copy of an email from Trading Standards with their guidance that misspelt words are a good indicator of phishing emails. If you run a business with a turnover of £200million+ pretty much entirely due to dealing with music licensing you should really know the difference between licence and license.

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Thu, 12 Jul 2018 - 12:49
Post #25

Member No.: 38,559

.........Their are plenty of people on here who brake the law by breaking to a stop at the curb when they shouldn't, so I don't think a little matter like a difference in a single letter will kerb there errors.

Don't Fredd…. those who mix brake and break irritate me as much as there and their.

As far back in the late 80s at a job interview, I was asked to write a letter.
Afterwards I queried, wasn't something I'd ever been asked before.
Seems that they had already employed two graduates for the job on offer but let them go as they could not write an intelligible letter to customers.
With the prevalence of social media etc these days, it hasn't got any better.

This post has been edited by DancingDad: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 - 14:02

+Quote Post
StuartBu
post Thu, 12 Jul 2018 - 14:03
Post #26

Member No.: 59,097

QUOTE (NewJudge @ Tue, 10 Jul 2018 - 13:09) *
The easiest way to differentiate between "license" (the verb) and "licence" (the noun) is to compare them to "advise" (the verb) and "advice" (the noun). Few people would say "I'm looking for advise" so they should not say "I'm looking for my driving license".

Except that ADVISE and ADVICE are pronounced differently whereas LICENCE and LICENSE sound the same .

QUOTE (ManxRed @ Tue, 10 Jul 2018 - 17:28) *
Their are plenty of people on here who brake the law by breaking to a stop at the curb when they shouldn't of, so I don't think a little matter like a difference in a single letter will kerb there errors.

FTFY.

"Should OF" and "Curb" Two major hates in my world...dunno which one I detest more !!!

+Quote Post
DastardlyDick
post Sun, 15 Jul 2018 - 07:46
Post #27

Member No.: 54,871

Surely since most Police forces issue TORs instead of FPNs at the roadside, the OPs enquiry is redundant?

Don't get me started on spelling - Dancing must have gone to school about the same time as me because I had the same penalty for incorrect spelling - it'll turn into a long rant!

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Sun, 15 Jul 2018 - 09:20
Post #28

Member No.: 317

Or if you read it it’s clear he means CoFP which apparently is abreviated to FPN.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Tuesday, 16th April 2024 - 14:15
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here