PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

police get a PCN, idiot CEO
PASTMYBEST
post Wed, 6 Mar 2019 - 15:26
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 74,048

Two police cars parked whilst officers make an arrest and the plonker issues a PCN

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/gmp-s...ocid=spartanntp

--------------------
All advice is given freely. It is given without guarantee and responsibility for its use rests with the user
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Advertisement
post Wed, 6 Mar 2019 - 15:26
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
nigelbb
post Wed, 6 Mar 2019 - 15:35
Post #2

Member No.: 60,602

QUOTE (PASTMYBEST @ Wed, 6 Mar 2019 - 15:26) *
Two police cars parked whilst officers make an arrest and the plonker issues a PCN

It all seems fair enough that the police car was ticketed for parking in a taxi rank as the CEO had no way of knowing that they hadn't just stopped for doughnuts. The police appeal to the council explaining the circumstances & the ticket gets quashed. What is the problem?

--------------------
British Parking Association Ltd Code of Practice(Appendix C contains Schedule 4 of POFA 2012 ) & can be found here http://www.britishparking.co.uk/Code-of-Pr...ance-monitoring
DfT Guidance on Section 56 and Schedule 4 of POFA 2012 https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/syste...ing-charges.pdf
Damning OFT advice on levels of parking charges that was ignored by the BPA Ltd Reference Request Number: IAT/FOIA/135010 – 12 October 2012

+Quote Post
PASTMYBEST
post Wed, 6 Mar 2019 - 15:42
Post #3

QUOTE (nigelbb @ Wed, 6 Mar 2019 - 15:35) *
QUOTE (PASTMYBEST @ Wed, 6 Mar 2019 - 15:26) *

It all seems fair enough that the police car was ticketed for parking in a taxi rank as the CEO had no way of knowing that they hadn't just stopped for doughnuts. The police appeal to the council explaining the circumstances & the ticket gets quashed. What is the problem?

Why waste our money having to appeal.

--------------------
All advice is given freely. It is given without guarantee and responsibility for its use rests with the user

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Wed, 6 Mar 2019 - 16:02
Post #4

Member No.: 317

Because, no doubt if they had just stopped for doughnuts, you’d be complaining that they weren’t ticketed!

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
PASTMYBEST
post Wed, 6 Mar 2019 - 16:08
Post #5

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Wed, 6 Mar 2019 - 16:02) *
Because, no doubt if they had just stopped for doughnuts, you’d be complaining that they weren’t ticketed!

Because it one car had stopped for donuts I could understand it, that two are parked together, because the CEO would know as well as I do that they are not getting donuts from there and that if a copper has to stop the arrest to talk to the CEO and in the meantime another officer is assaulted I'd rather see some common sense

--------------------

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Wed, 6 Mar 2019 - 16:46
Post #6

Member No.: 42,618

Most TROs have an absolute exemption for police officers in uniform, so legally speaking, it's irrelevant whether they were attending an emergency or buying doughnuts. All the representations need to say is PC Plod was in uniform when he parked the vehicle, end of.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
Fredd
post Wed, 6 Mar 2019 - 18:48
Post #7

Webmaster
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (cp8759 @ Wed, 6 Mar 2019 - 16:46) *
Most TROs have an absolute exemption for police officers in uniform, so legally speaking, it's irrelevant whether they were attending an emergency or buying doughnuts. All the representations need to say is PC Plod was in uniform when he parked the vehicle, end of.

Really? That's a new one on me; the TROs I've come across refer to vehicles being used for "police purposes", not some blanket exemption on the basis of a uniform (which a given police officer on duty may not be wearing anyway).

--------------------
Regards,
Fredd

Visa, Mastercard, debit card or PayPal account

+Quote Post
andy_foster
post Wed, 6 Mar 2019 - 19:45
Post #8

Group Icon

Group: Life Member
Member No.: 1,624

On a vaguely related note, I'd be curious to know what was so urgent that Thames Valley Police's Neighbourhood Policing Team felt the need to abandon their van blocking at least 2 cars in the car park at my local Tesco around the time they were reducing the doughnuts.

--------------------
Andy

Some people think that I make them feel stupid. To be fair, they deserve most of the credit.

+Quote Post
mickR
post Wed, 6 Mar 2019 - 19:55
Post #9

Member No.: 9,919

If it was that much of an emergency why did plod bother to turn off the blues? That would have been a clear indication of real police work.

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Wed, 6 Mar 2019 - 21:32
Post #10

QUOTE (Fredd @ Wed, 6 Mar 2019 - 18:48) *

Really? That's a new one on me; the TROs I've come across refer to vehicles being used for "police purposes", not some blanket exemption on the basis of a uniform (which a given police officer on duty may not be wearing anyway).

Just a couple of random examples:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ille...police_vehicl_2

All Traffic Regulation Orders allow liveried police, fire and ambulance
vehicles to park where other vehicles are prohibited. In the case of the
fire brigade and ambulance service, the vehicle must be attending an
emergency, however marked police vehicles can park in otherwise prohibited
places under any circumstances.

Bath and North East Somerset Council (Various Roads, Bath) (Prohibition and Restriction of Waiting) Order 2008:

No person shall, except upon the direction or with the permission of a police constable in uniform, cause or permit... (Taking a purposive approach, a police officer can direct himself to park on DYLs, and even if not, his buddy sitting next to him can).

QUOTE (mickR @ Wed, 6 Mar 2019 - 19:55) *
If it was that much of an emergency why did plod bother to turn off the blues? That would have been a clear indication of real police work.

The police do not routinely leave their blue lights on when they're parked outside sainsbury's picked up a compliant shoplifter from the back room, but you can hardly say it's not police work..

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Wed, 6 Mar 2019 - 22:07
Post #11

I'm sorry did the response I posted to the above beak one of the house rules?

--------------------

+Quote Post
phantomcrusader
post Wed, 6 Mar 2019 - 22:43
Post #12

Member No.: 22,840

QUOTE (cp8759 @ Wed, 6 Mar 2019 - 22:07) *

I'm sorry did the response I posted to the above beak one of the house rules?

Many TRO's contain an exemption that a vehicle parked on the direction of a police officer (not always a need for uniform) are exempt from any restriction. It stands to reason that a police car has been parked on the directon of the police officer driving or HQ and is therefore exempt. CEO's issuing to police cars is a waste of time (unless their evidence is strong) as most are cancelled as police officers simply email from their work address and say the car was parked to carry out duties. Data protection or case sensitivity is used as an excuse for no further info being given and 99.9% of the time the PCN is cancelled at challenge stage.

This post has been edited by phantomcrusader: Wed, 6 Mar 2019 - 22:46

+Quote Post
DastardlyDick
post Wed, 6 Mar 2019 - 23:26
Post #13

Member No.: 54,871

The cynic in me would suggest that the CEO has a to issue a certain number of PCNs per shift, so anything's fair game for them - obviously this doesn't happen in real life.
Wasn't it one of Manchester's CEOs who tried to ticket a car that had obviously been involved in an RTC last year? I believe it was filmed and put on you tube.

+Quote Post
PASTMYBEST
post Thu, 7 Mar 2019 - 09:08
Post #14

QUOTE (DastardlyDick @ Wed, 6 Mar 2019 - 23:26) *
The cynic in me would suggest that the CEO has a to issue a certain number of PCNs per shift, so anything's fair game for them - obviously this doesn't happen in real life.
Wasn't it one of Manchester's CEOs who tried to ticket a car that had obviously been involved in an RTC last year? I believe it was filmed and put on you tube.

Yep it was a taxi with the front end smashed it and it was Manchester where a police officer and council licencing official stopped a taxi to perform a check and a CEO gave them a ticket

--------------------

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Thu, 7 Mar 2019 - 09:43
Post #15

QUOTE (DastardlyDick @ Wed, 6 Mar 2019 - 23:26) *

Despite all the assertions to that effect, I'm not sure we've ever seen any real evidence of CEOs having any sort of target.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Earl Purple
post Thu, 7 Mar 2019 - 14:23
Post #16

Member No.: 39,245

There are two officers in the van.

The one who isn't driving commands the one who is driving to pull over and stop in that bay.

Therefore the one who was driving pulled over under the command of a police officer.

Exemption.

+Quote Post
nigelbb
post Thu, 7 Mar 2019 - 15:29
Post #17

Member No.: 60,602

QUOTE (Earl Purple @ Thu, 7 Mar 2019 - 14:23) *

The one who isn't driving commands the one who is driving to pull over and stop in that bay.

Therefore the one who was driving pulled over under the command of a police officer.

Exemption.

Even when stopping for doughnuts?

--------------------
British Parking Association Ltd Code of Practice(Appendix C contains Schedule 4 of POFA 2012 ) & can be found here http://www.britishparking.co.uk/Code-of-Pr...ance-monitoring
DfT Guidance on Section 56 and Schedule 4 of POFA 2012 https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/syste...ing-charges.pdf
Damning OFT advice on levels of parking charges that was ignored by the BPA Ltd Reference Request Number: IAT/FOIA/135010 – 12 October 2012

+Quote Post
post Thu, 7 Mar 2019 - 17:14
Post #18

Member No.: 47,602

QUOTE (nigelbb @ Thu, 7 Mar 2019 - 15:29) *
QUOTE (Earl Purple @ Thu, 7 Mar 2019 - 14:23) *

Exemption.

Yes, that is for "police purposes".

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Thu, 7 Mar 2019 - 17:18
Post #19

The police exemption does not generally qualify that anything must be done for police purposes. There's also the fact that an officer could arguably direct himself, so it's arguable he doesn't even need his mate to tell him to stop there.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fredd
post Thu, 7 Mar 2019 - 17:30
Post #20

Webmaster
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (cp8759 @ Thu, 7 Mar 2019 - 17:18) *

The police exemption does not generally qualify that anything must be done for police purposes. There's also the fact that an officer could arguably direct himself, so it's arguable he doesn't even need his mate to tell him to stop there.

The police exemption generally does refer to policing purposes.

The police uniform part refers to directing drivers where to go.

The notion that simply wearing a police uniform allows you to lawfully direct yourself to break traffic regulations in the absence of exercising any policing function is a hell of a stretch, to put it as politely as I can.

--------------------
Regards,
Fredd

Visa, Mastercard, debit card or PayPal account

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 11:10
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here