PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

No insurance (Wrong Name)
nineo
post Thu, 5 Oct 2017 - 16:33
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 94,362

I got stopped for no insurance and was waiting for the ticket to come through but when it did it come through in a wrong first name, i.e.: instead of David Williams, Dwayne Williams. Is this something I could challenge? Thanks for anyone's advice
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
Advertisement
post Thu, 5 Oct 2017 - 16:33
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
southpaw82
post Thu, 5 Oct 2017 - 16:38
Post #2

Member No.: 18,483

A fixed penalty notice or a conditional offer of a fixed penalty notice?

The short answer is likely to be "no".

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
nineo
post Thu, 5 Oct 2017 - 16:42
Post #3

QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Thu, 5 Oct 2017 - 17:38) *
A fixed penalty notice or a conditional offer of a fixed penalty notice?

The short answer is likely to be "no".

Fixed, 6 points, £300 fine

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Thu, 5 Oct 2017 - 16:45
Post #4

Member No.: 42,618

This is not something you could challenge, by your own admission you know what the case is about so you have not been prejudiced. If you were to challenge this you would need to go to court, and the court would allow the prosecution to amend the name on the charge.

For this defence to work, the details (i.e. name and/or location of offence etc..) would have to be so wrong that you could legitimately and honestly say you are not sure whether the ticket is meant for you or not. And assuming this were to happen within six months of the offence, this would not stop the prosecution simply starting a new case against you with the correct details. Given the penalty at court is likely to be significantly greater than a fixed penalty, in the absence of a substantive defence you're better off accepting the fixed penalty.

You should however point out the mistake so they can correct the paperwork, we don't know if you've surrendered your licence at the roadside but if not the last thing you want is someone in the back office thinking you've returned someone else's driving licence.

+Quote Post
nineo
post Thu, 5 Oct 2017 - 16:50
Post #5

QUOTE (cp8759 @ Thu, 5 Oct 2017 - 17:45) *
This is not something you could challenge, by your own admission you know what the case is about so you have not been prejudiced. If you were to challenge this you would need to go to court, and the court would allow the prosecution to amend the name on the charge.

For this defence to work, the details (i.e. name and/or location of offence etc..) would have to be so wrong that you could legitimately and honestly say you are not sure whether the ticket is meant for you or not. And assuming this were to happen within six months of the offence, this would not stop the prosecution simply starting a new case against you with the correct details. Given the penalty at court is likely to be significantly greater than a fixed penalty, in the absence of a substantive defence you're better off accepting the fixed penalty.

You should however point out the mistake so they can correct the paperwork, we don't know if you've surrendered your licence at the roadside but if not the last thing you want is someone in the back office thinking you've returned someone else's driving licence.

Thank you for taking the time to explain smile.gif

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Fri, 6 Oct 2017 - 03:15
Post #6

Member No.: 317

Even more so, errors on an FPN are irrelevant once it gets to court, in that CP's assessment is very wrong.
Drozdowski is a good example http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Admin/1998/933.html

If the errors were repeated on the court paperwork his assessment would be about correct however.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 8-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Fri, 6 Oct 2017 - 08:22
Post #7

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Fri, 6 Oct 2017 - 04:15) *
Even more so, errors on an FPN are irrelevant once it gets to court, in that CP's assessment is very wrong.
Drozdowski is a good example http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Admin/1998/933.html

If the errors were repeated on the court paperwork his assessment would be about correct however.

I have assumed any error in the spelling of the name on the FPN would also appear on the court paperwork, on the basis that the error is in the traffic offence report and/or the file held in the police back office. It may well be that the error is *only* on the FPN, but in my experience this is less likely, and this would not alter the OP's situation one iota.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Sat, 7 Oct 2017 - 01:45
Post #8

Member No.: 317

We know what assumptions can make...... Best to point that out if it was what you we assuming, and your second paragraph states 'ticket' which most will take to have referred to the FPN/COFP?

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 8-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Sat, 7 Oct 2017 - 02:48
Post #9

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Sat, 7 Oct 2017 - 02:45) *
We know what assumptions can make......

I made that assumption specifically because it makes no difference whatsoever to the outcome or to the OP, if I were to spell out every irrelevant assumption my posts would be never ending and mostly useless.

+Quote Post
andy_foster
post Sat, 7 Oct 2017 - 12:21
Post #10

Group Icon

Group: Life Member
Member No.: 1,624

Somebody owes me a new irony meter.

--------------------
Andy

Millenial (noun): a person who is offended at being told "Suck it up, buttercup"

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Sunday, 25th February 2018 - 19:33
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.