Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

PCN for parking longer than permitted
ohmanbear
post Tue, 22 May 2018 - 14:26
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 98,066

Good Afternoon!

I was wondering if you guys/gals could help me.

I received a PCN about 10 days ago for parking longer than permitted.

I had actually pulled into the road accidentally (following my Satnav blindly and went down the wrong road) but as I was about to go back on myself I received a phone call so I pulled over to take the call. I was speaking on the phone for a good 30 minutes then I was due to be in an appointment for 11am and as I was already parked up I decided against driving my car to the shop and I chose to walk 5/10 minutes instead as it was a lovely day.

Upon returning to my vehicle I noticed a PCN in the window for being there longer than 1 hour (they say I arrived at 10.07 and date of contravention was 11.17 so 10 minutes over), I was wondering if it still counts whilst I was pulling over to take a call? Or if there is anything I could do to challenge it?

Please see picutre below

Many thanks in advance for any info
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
Advertisement
post Tue, 22 May 2018 - 14:26
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Mr Mustard
post Tue, 22 May 2018 - 14:57
Post #2

Member No.: 59,932

Could you put up a picture of the sign please.

In some circumstances, which may include yours, a council cannot issue a PCN until after 10 minutes have expired after a period of permitted parking. The council have jumped 1 minute early in my view.

--------------------
All advice given by me on PePiPoo is on a pro bono basis (i.e. free). PePiPoo relies on Donations so do donate if you can. Sometimes I will, in addition, personally offer to represent you at London Tribunals (i.e. within greater London only) & if you wish me to I will ask you to make a voluntary donation, if the Appeal is won, directly to the North London Hospice.

+Quote Post
rosturra
post Tue, 22 May 2018 - 15:04
Post #3

Member No.: 93,086

Have they ticketed you too early?

You arrived at 10.07.
You were parked legally at 11.17.

You were parked "illegally" at 11:08
But the 10 minute grace period ends at 11:18.

So you were in the grace period at 11:17.

+Quote Post
ohmanbear
post Tue, 22 May 2018 - 16:09
Post #4

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback.

With regards to the sign, I checked on google maps and its just a sign saying:

"Mon-Sat

8am - 6pm

1 hour

No Return within 1 Hour"

With regards to the grace period, how would I challenge it by just saying what you mentioned, that it was issued too early?

Annoying thing is I missed the guy by 2 minutes I was there around 11.19/20am as I checked the time immediately upon seeing the PCN.

Thanks again

Before I send them an e-mail, I am wondering if the 10 minute grace period applies to where I was parked, as I did not need to buy a ticket to park there, does it still apply to me?

+Quote Post
Mr Mustard
post Tue, 22 May 2018 - 16:39
Post #5

Member No.: 59,932

Which town is Skipton St within? & then I'll go look at the sign on google after which i can answer your question.

--------------------
All advice given by me on PePiPoo is on a pro bono basis (i.e. free). PePiPoo relies on Donations so do donate if you can. Sometimes I will, in addition, personally offer to represent you at London Tribunals (i.e. within greater London only) & if you wish me to I will ask you to make a voluntary donation, if the Appeal is won, directly to the North London Hospice.

+Quote Post
hcandersen
post Tue, 22 May 2018 - 17:16
Post #6

Member No.: 21,551

IMO, all the necessary evidence is here:

PCN accepting that the location is a free parking place;
OP's clear statement that they parked within, that they were parked within and the alleged contravention occurred within the operational times of the parking place on the day;
No evidence on which the authority may rely that parking took place any earlier than 11.07;
That the permitted parking period under the regs commenced at 11.07;
Clear regs which state that :-
No penalty charge is payable for the contravention where the vehicle has been left beyond the permitted parking period for a period not exceeding 10 minutes.
11.17 does not exceed 10 minutes;

Game over, march out...

But not until they've writhed a bit because it is not coincidence that 11.17 is the time of the alleged contravention, this arises not because of the misapplication of regs which they know, but from the application of regs which they don't. So they're likely to squirm at first.

This post has been edited by hcandersen: Tue, 22 May 2018 - 17:18

+Quote Post
ohmanbear
post Tue, 29 May 2018 - 08:01
Post #7

Many thanks for your help everyone, much appreciated.

Have responded via email, will update you with their response.

Thanks again,

+Quote Post
Paddyposh
post Tue, 29 May 2018 - 13:56
Post #8

Member No.: 98,163

QUOTE (rosturra @ Tue, 22 May 2018 - 16:04) *

You arrived at 10.07.

Sorry to hijack, is this definitely the case?

I was parked on Friday in Altrincham, via ringgo, expired at 13:24, PCN issued at 13:35, so 11 minutes.

Do I have a case to appeal?

+Quote Post
PASTMYBEST
post Tue, 29 May 2018 - 13:58
Post #9

Member No.: 74,048

QUOTE (Paddyposh @ Tue, 29 May 2018 - 14:56) *
QUOTE (rosturra @ Tue, 22 May 2018 - 16:04) *

You arrived at 10.07.

Sorry to hijack, is this definitely the case?

I was parked on Friday in Altrincham, via ringgo, expired at 13:24, PCN issued at 13:35, so 11 minutes.

Do I have a case to appeal?

Dunno start your own thread and post your own PCN, council photos and copy of ringo confirmation

--------------------
All advice is given freely. It is given without guarantee and responsibility for its use rests with the user

+Quote Post
ohmanbear
post Thu, 21 Jun 2018 - 10:22
Post #10

Good Morning All,

Just an update regarding my PCN, they have emailed me back with the following:

"Date and Time of Contravention: 11/05/2018 at 11:17

Parking Contravention: 30 Parked for longer than permitted

Dear

CHALLENGE AGAINST YOUR PENALTY CHARGE NOTICE (PCN)

Thank you for your correspondence challenging your Penalty Charge Notice.

We have carefully considered your comments but are not willing to cancel your Penalty Charge Notice for the following reason(s):

We acknowledge that you advise you believe you have been wrongly ticketed and that the 10 minute grace period should have ended at 11.18am however, the vehicle was observed at 10.07am and then issued with a PCN at 11.17am, as such we are confident that the PCN was issued correctly.

Consequently, we find insufficient mitigation to warrant cancellation of the case and the charge still stands.

You now have the following choices:

You will be required to pay the full amount of £50.00 as the discount period has now elapsed. Payment will close the case and you will be unable to make a further challenge against the charge.
You can continue to contest the charge. If payment is not received within the 28 days from the date of the Penalty Charge Notice, we will send you a Notice to Owner form. This will offer you the opportunity to pay the full charge or to submit a formal representation against the charge by completing and returning the form.
Should your representation be unsuccessful, you will be able to take your appeal to an independent adjudicator.

How to pay:

By phone on 0844 826 6593. Lines are open all day, every day (24 hours). Please have your PCN number and credit or debit card ready. There will be no extra charge for using your card to make payment. Please note that some card types may not be accepted.
Online at www.lancashire.gov.uk/parking and click ‘pay online’.

Yours sincerely

pp. Peter Bell

Regulation & Enforcement Manager"

Would anyone recommend any other course of action other than paying the £50? I would be grateful for any help or information.

Many thanks,

+Quote Post
stamfordman
post Thu, 21 Jun 2018 - 10:30
Post #11

Member No.: 59,924

No point in paying if discount lost - proceed to adjudication.

However, not sure why they are not reoffering £25 at challenge stage - rather mean.

This post has been edited by stamfordman: Thu, 21 Jun 2018 - 10:31

+Quote Post
ohmanbear
post Thu, 21 Jun 2018 - 13:40
Post #12

What would the process involve if I were to proceed to adjudication?

Thanks again for any replies or information.

+Quote Post
stamfordman
post Thu, 21 Jun 2018 - 14:16
Post #13

Member No.: 59,924

"If payment is not received within the 28 days from the date of the Penalty Charge Notice, we will send you a Notice to Owner form. This will offer you the opportunity to pay the full charge or to submit a formal representation against the charge by completing and returning the form.
Should your representation be unsuccessful, you will be able to take your appeal to an independent adjudicator."

+Quote Post
hcandersen
post Thu, 21 Jun 2018 - 14:34
Post #14

Member No.: 21,551

Don’t wait, write back.

PCN *******

I refer to the above PCN, my challenge dated *** and your rejection dated ****.

By way of clarification only, please confirm that your evidence comprises an initial observation time of 10.07 aganst which all oher times and periods must be referenced, a restriction which limits parking to 1 hour, a permitted parking period which therefore terminatd at 11.17 and the amended regulation 4 of the General Regulations which prohibits any penalty being demanded until a period of 10 minutes has elapsed since the end of the permitted parking period. Please further confirm that you believe that the regulations may be unilaterally amended by the authority such that a penalty is payable in the 10th minute following the end of the permitted parking period i.e. a period of 9 minutes having elapsed.

Please seek the advice of your legal officers if in any doubt.

Regards,

+Quote Post
ohmanbear
post Tue, 26 Jun 2018 - 11:14
Post #15

Thank you so much again everyone, I have emailed them the response you kindly drafted for me I will update you once I get a reply.

Many thanks again

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 29th March 2024 - 06:00
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here