Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Parking Charge for Doctor's Visit
tocsin1
post Sat, 23 Mar 2019 - 11:09
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 28,628

Hello all,

I returned from holiday this morning to find a nasty surprise on the doormat in the form of a parking charge notice related to a visit to the doctor's.

The visit in question was on the day my family were flying out and it was an urgent visit (without appointment) to get a prescription for my young boy. It took about twenty minutes, which ties in with the time on the letter.

There is no charge to park in this car park for up to two hours for the purposes of visiting the health centre. Where it seems the driver went wrong is in not registering the number plate (or possibly doing it wrong) inside the surgery.

I'm looking for suggestions on whether an appeal setting out the circumstances is worthwhile or whether to try a more technical line of argument or whether just to pay it.

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
Advertisement
post Sat, 23 Mar 2019 - 11:09
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
ostell
post Sat, 23 Mar 2019 - 11:21
Post #2

Member No.: 60,457

So you complain to the head of practise in that you are being charged for an emergency visit, which is contrary to the NHS parking requirements.

What does the sign say, photo would help, and can you post up the redacted NTK, with the dates left in. If the signs asking for registration are inside the surgery and not obvious then there can be no parking contract.

+Quote Post
tocsin1
post Sat, 23 Mar 2019 - 14:03
Post #3

Here is the letter:

Signs to follow when I get a chance....

Thanks

+Quote Post
ostell
post Sat, 23 Mar 2019 - 16:58
Post #4

Well they have failed to issue the invitation required by POFA 9(2) (e) and also failed to identify the creditor, 9 (h)

Interesting to see the signs if it's because of "not authorised"

+Quote Post
kernow2015
post Sun, 24 Mar 2019 - 06:58
Post #5

Member No.: 76,209

Just 1 day short of being outside the 14 day window.

Was the prescription sorted on the phone there and then ready for collection? If so there would be a record of your request on file to show that the driver was there for valid reasons and the surgery should be able to speak with ECP to cancel the notice.

+Quote Post
tocsin1
post Mon, 25 Mar 2019 - 09:52
Post #6

I emailed the practice manager at the weekend and just received a call from the surgery who say they have a record of the visit that they will email to me. I've found photos of the signs on another thread about the same site that I'll post up.

The prescription was sorted out there and then in person -- no phone calls required.

+Quote Post
tocsin1
post Tue, 26 Mar 2019 - 00:48
Post #7

Below are images of the signs. As I mentioned before, these are pinched from another thread about the same site.

+Quote Post
ostell
post Tue, 26 Mar 2019 - 07:39
Post #8

So the sign says "Authorised parking fo patients only" without making an offer of a parking contract for unauthorised. Forbidding sign. Alleged failure is for unauthorised parking so the only claimant, given lack of contract, would be the landowner for trespass.

+Quote Post
Sheffield Dave
post Tue, 26 Mar 2019 - 13:14
Post #9

Member No.: 62,052

I think forbidding signage is a large stretch. The sign appears to offer parking to patients, which the driver/passenger was. So there was a valid offer, capable of acceptance, with some contractual obligations attached (like registering the VPN)l.

+Quote Post
tocsin1
post Tue, 23 Apr 2019 - 16:32
Post #10

I received a response this afternoon. They are standing by the claim that the parking was unauthorised as the VRM wasn't correctly typed into the machine inside the surgery, despite the fact I provided proof of the visit. Nevertheless, it has been cancelled "on this occasion".

+Quote Post
The Slithy Tove
post Thu, 25 Apr 2019 - 13:47
Post #11

Member No.: 52,178

That's good news.

Maybe you want to remind the Health Centre of the very real chance of breach of patient confidentiality their system brings about. If you had received this notice, yet you were unaware of any visit to the Health Centre, it could have been that a family member had used the car to visit there on a confidential medical matter that they rather you didn't know about. And now their cover has been blown. Maybe the Practice Manager would have something to say about that.

This post has been edited by The Slithy Tove: Thu, 25 Apr 2019 - 13:48

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 29th March 2024 - 02:23
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here