PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

LATE APPEAL MAGISTRATES CONVICTION FTF 6 POINTS
Wheels
post Thu, 11 Oct 2018 - 23:53
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 50,542

As if I don't have enough on my plate! I went to court in August on behalf of my daughter for a speeding offence which was her ex partner. We did not receive any paperwork only a court summons. Due to my daughters mental health she had a melt down and could not attend. Very long story short. I got doctors letter confirming her issues, a copy of my appointeeship and explained. They decided to carry out the trial in her absence and although they didn't charge her for the speeding and I supplied the driver details, as early as was reasonably practical, she was given 6 points.

My questions:
1) if we did not receive paperwork, how can my daughter be guilty of failing to respond to something she did not receive?
2) if a person due to mental health issues needs somebody else to manage their affairs, is it right to then punish them for the inability to manage their affairs by giving them 6 points, is this not penalising them for being disabled, ie, disability discrimination?
3) we did not receive full information in court including all the letters allegedly sent etc, not that I realised this was a requirement until researching after the case?
4) if my daughter has a melt down and cannot attend and the trial is held in her absence, (this happened more than once) is it a fair trial if she has not been given the opportunity to present her own case?
5) what would be possible reasons for allowing a late appeal in the circumstances?

We have now received another single justice notice for speeding and ftf, which I have already sent in the reply back in March giving driver details. I have proof of posting, I did have photocopy of the form too, but I can't find it at present, but given the lack of sympathy for my daughter's case and the fact that they didn't care that we didn't receive the paperwork previously I don't hold out much hope in them accepting I sent off this one, despite the proof. They were pretty horrid in court. Furthermore, there are apparently a couple of other fines that have been issued, not that anybody mentioned them, for which we have received absolutely no paperwork whatsoever, I am awaiting details, but this is all going to add up. Yes we've had some postal issues, yes sometimes the dogs rip the mail apart and my daughter doesn't open mail and stuffs it in the drawer, but I do my best to make regular checks in all possible drawers, cupboards etc. I'm at my wits end and I am totally overwhelmed, I still haven't recovered from the court experience and now I have all this to contend with?

My daughter's car is her lifeline, she cannot afford to lose her licence, if I'm in too much pain and can't get to her, at least she knows she can get to me or other family/friend, whichever is quickest if she's in a tiz.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Wheels icon_hang.gif

This post has been edited by Wheels: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 - 23:58
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Advertisement
post Thu, 11 Oct 2018 - 23:53
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Logician
post Fri, 12 Oct 2018 - 01:47
Post #2

Member No.: 36,528

The police would be able to prove that they posted the identity request, and it is assumed to be delivered two business days later, unless it can be proved that it was not. Proving a negative is of course very difficult, and this is the situation for all drivers. Evidence of previous problems with post may help, if there is any. If your daughter cannot manage her affairs, and has a history of shoving unopened mail in drawers, then it may lessen the value of her evidence that she did not receive the letter. I fear that if you push too hard on her condition and her melt downs, you are rather raising the issue of whether she should actually be driving at all.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Fri, 12 Oct 2018 - 06:14
Post #3

Member No.: 317

It certainly raises the issue as to whether it would be expeditious to have you named as the registered keeper, not answering awkward mail such as NIPs and PCNs leads to a much greater level of hurt than answering them promptly.

To answer your questions
1/ No, but you’d have to convince the court that the request wasn’t received, without the main witness there that was never going to be possible, even with it would be an uphill issue
2/ Right or wrong, it’s the law, it’s part of the obligation you effectively sign up to when allowed to drive.
3/ What was requested? They supply sufficient to secure a conviction, if you want more it's your responsibility to ask for it, you can't just turn up on the day and ask why other evidence wasn't provided.
4/ Too many questions need answering before I can answer that, when did the ‘melt down’ occur, was an adjournment requested as soon as it was obvious she couldn’t attend etc.
5/ You just appeal the verdict, how long ago was that?

The fact she has a second offence ending suggests she isn’t capable of handling her paperwork, have you checked the V5c details are all correct?

This post has been edited by The Rookie: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 - 07:28

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 8-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
AntonyMMM
post Fri, 12 Oct 2018 - 06:44
Post #4

Member No.: 37,614

QUOTE (Wheels @ Fri, 12 Oct 2018 - 00:53) *
We have now received another single justice notice for speeding and ftf, which I have already sent in the reply back in March giving driver details.

Did you help help her complete it (and she signed it) or did you complete it and just give her details as the driver - if it was the latter then all that would happen is another notice would have been sent to her for her to confirm she was the driver ..... she may not have returned that one ?

+Quote Post
Wheels
post Fri, 12 Oct 2018 - 08:03
Post #5

QUOTE (Logician @ Fri, 12 Oct 2018 - 02:47) *
The police would be able to prove that they posted the identity request, and it is assumed to be delivered two business days later, unless it can be proved that it was not. Proving a negative is of course very difficult, and this is the situation for all drivers. Evidence of previous problems with post may help, if there is any. If your daughter cannot manage her affairs, and has a history of shoving unopened mail in drawers, then it may lessen the value of her evidence that she did not receive the letter. I fear that if you push too hard on her condition and her melt downs, you are rather raising the issue of whether she should actually be driving at all.

Thank you Logician. Yes I know this is going to be an uphill battle, her anxiety/PTSD prevents her from going out freely and when she stresses it gets worse. When she's worse she doesn't drive because she doesn't go out at all. That is the line the judge took, perhaps she shouldn't be driving, but the car is her lifeline, if she didn't have that she would be trapped 24/7. If she needs me or anyone else she can get there, to safety; and drives safely and if there is an issue she will pull over and do breathing exercises etc. We have had problems with the mail and people living up the road have returned some, all properly addressed, just didn't get there.

+Quote Post
nosferatu1001
post Fri, 12 Oct 2018 - 08:32
Post #6

Member No.: 15,642

If your daughter can accept she was the driver for the seoncd one, then if she has been dual charged then she can please not guitly to both, which gives her a court hearing. At court, she can speak to - or if you are there, on her behalf, organised in advamnce of the hearing - the prosecurot and request that they drop the FtF in exchange for a guilty pleas to speeding. This is done all the time. Presuming the speed is in the 3 points region, not 6, this will (assuming all else is ok) leave her on 9 - 11 and not banned for totting.

If it is higher and in the 6 points then she will need ot present an Exceptional Hardship plea, including evidence of her issues and her need to be able to gt to you, her lifeline, when you cant get to her. While it is the usual tale that effect on others has more of a weight with the court, a significant issue such as PTSD (might relate to your troubles you disclosed in the PP part of the forum, if so that coul dbe a useful tie in - shared experience is a common featuer in helping with PTSD attacks from what I understand, and could gain sympathy). Explaining the effects on her mental health if this lifeline is taken away would be needed. It would, however, almost all have to be done in person - I cant see how else it could happen. Knowing this you will need to make as many enquiries as possible - CAB may be able to help, possibly a free consultaion at a sols, etc.

+Quote Post
Wheels
post Fri, 12 Oct 2018 - 09:17
Post #7

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Fri, 12 Oct 2018 - 07:14) *
It certainly raises the issue as to whether it would be expeditious to have you named as the registered keeper, not answering awkward mail such as NIPs and PCNs leads to a much greater level of hurt than answering them promptly.

To answer your questions
1/ No, but you’d have to convince the court that the request wasn’t received, without the main witness there that was never going to be possible, even with it would be an uphill issue
2/ Right or wrong, it’s the law, it’s part of the obligation you effectively sign up to when allowed to drive.
3/ What was requested? They supply sufficient to secure a conviction, if you want more it's your responsibility to ask for it, you can't just turn up on the day and ask why other evidence wasn't provided.
4/ Too many questions need answering before I can answer that, when did the ‘melt down’ occur, was an adjournment requested as soon as it was obvious she couldn’t attend etc.
5/ You just appeal the verdict, how long ago was that?

The fact she has a second offence ending suggests she isn’t capable of handling her paperwork, have you checked the V5c details are all correct?

Thank you Rookie, yes I am looking into the RK issue to be safe, but I try to enable, rather than disable more, and taking things away is compounding her sense of being useless and unable to do things.
1) yes, I tried to get her there, but I had the decency to ring and to turn up in her absence and explain, which was a mean feat, I was in agony myself, they wouldn't allow me into the disabled parking bay with my blue badge and I had to walk all around the houses to get to the actual court room, no lifts; and then they made me wait till last to be heard.
2) I just thought that there would be more sympathy and when being honest about not receiving the mail, there is no reason to lie, she wasn't driving and the ex was happy to take his punishment, well perhaps happy is not the right word, but there was no reason not to complete and return the form had it arrived.
3) I am not experienced in these things so I don't know what I'm supposed to ask for or do, somebody told me they should give copies of everything they have so you can see, I was thinking perhaps the form wasn't there and hadn't actually been posted?
4) on the first occasion on the morning of the hearing, they adjourned for me to provide medical evidence of her conditions and my appointeeship papers. The judge said it was not in the interests of justice and costs to hear it really and sending in those things to the cps would give them the opportunity to reconsider prosecuting. They ignored it. When I wrote to them querying it they said they had no notes from the hearing about me having to supply anything for them to consider, despite the woman handing me the email address to send it to. I copied in the court to everything. When I rang them they said it would have to continue if the cps hadn't cancelled it. The next judge said the same thing, they were given the opportunity to cancel again and didn't. The next judge or magistrate was very stern and gave the points. He nearly wouldn't let me speak on her behalf until it was pointed out that as a witness I was allowed to speak on oath, but he clearly had made up his mind, which if you deal with the prosecutors on a daily basis I would imagine that there is an element of believing them over anybody else.
5) Mid August, I thought for late appeal you have to have special circumstances to allow the appeal to go in and given the lack of sympathy, or consideration for mental health issues already, I was wondering what would be acceptable as a reason for lateness for it to be accepted. Obviously I have been debating with my daughter who was against having to go, but realises that it is for the greater good if she is to stop herself losing her licence on topping up, this would floor her, there may be one of the better judges or magistrates from the first hearing, who knows. Do I appeal and request the late acceptance together, or request a late appeal and then explain after in the actual appeal if accepted? It's all spinning round in my head, I wish I had the funds to place it with a solicitor, but I don't. At least in court they listen to solicitors.

W

This post has been edited by Wheels: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 - 09:41

+Quote Post
Wheels
post Fri, 12 Oct 2018 - 09:37
Post #8

QUOTE (nosferatu1001 @ Fri, 12 Oct 2018 - 09:32) *
If your daughter can accept she was the driver for the seoncd one, then if she has been dual charged then she can please not guitly to both, which gives her a court hearing. At court, she can speak to - or if you are there, on her behalf, organised in advamnce of the hearing - the prosecurot and request that they drop the FtF in exchange for a guilty pleas to speeding. This is done all the time. Presuming the speed is in the 3 points region, not 6, this will (assuming all else is ok) leave her on 9 - 11 and not banned for totting.

If it is higher and in the 6 points then she will need ot present an Exceptional Hardship plea, including evidence of her issues and her need to be able to gt to you, her lifeline, when you cant get to her. While it is the usual tale that effect on others has more of a weight with the court, a significant issue such as PTSD (might relate to your troubles you disclosed in the PP part of the forum, if so that coul dbe a useful tie in - shared experience is a common featuer in helping with PTSD attacks from what I understand, and could gain sympathy). Explaining the effects on her mental health if this lifeline is taken away would be needed. It would, however, almost all have to be done in person - I cant see how else it could happen. Knowing this you will need to make as many enquiries as possible - CAB may be able to help, possibly a free consultaion at a sols, etc.

Thank you Nosferatu, my daughter wasn't the driver for either. It seems you get more punishment for not doing the actual offence than doing it, which is bad, because people are more likely to want to have lesser points, but I was brought up to defend innocence when innocent, and admit and apologise when guilty, but never say your guilty when you are not, probably because both my parents had been in the police and it was important to defend innocence.

She has the 6 points for ftf on the red light, despite me having given info as soon as was reasonable etc. If we didn't get the paperwork we couldn't respond. I check the mail daily, often straight from the doormat, so I'm sure if it had arrived I would have seen it and I go through the drawers etc checking regularly due to past issues. The papers definitely didn't arrive; and now hearing that there are two other offences that are in line for fine collection that we don't even know about, that is a whole lot more paperwork to have gone missing, which if it has gone to the wrong address and was opened is even more embarrassing. Some people do that despite it being illegal.

Everyone raves on about the equalities act and businesses having to make reasonable adjustments to the process for disabled people to access services, but I've got to admit they gave me the runaround and have not been remotely reasonable in their sentencing of my daughter, IMO.

W

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Fri, 12 Oct 2018 - 09:45
Post #9

Member No.: 18,483

The Equalities Act doesn’t apply to the court exercising a judicial function, such as sentencing.

What do you mean by your “appointeeship”?

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
Wheels
post Fri, 12 Oct 2018 - 09:53
Post #10

QUOTE (nosferatu1001 @ Fri, 12 Oct 2018 - 09:32) *

I have rung around a few solicitors, who seem positive about the chances, but have quoted £1000-3000 to deal with it, alongside the second one that I posted off the form, plus vat of course, I just don't have that, it's a lot of money to lose if they are equally unsympathetic. They believe that with a solicitor it will get a better result. As it is I have no idea how we are going to pay the fines, they want a minimum of £20 a month that my daughter just doesn't have, her disability monies are fully stretched. Again we can opt for a hearing to go through finances, but that is another trauma. We are trapped, damned if we do, damned if we don't!

I have pled not guilty online to the second one and explained I have proof of posting, I await a response to that and I have emailed requesting info on the other ones. It's a mess!

W

QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Fri, 12 Oct 2018 - 10:45) *
The Equalities Act doesn’t apply to the court exercising a judicial function, such as sentencing.

What do you mean by your “appointeeship”?

I thought that given the difficulties the judge/magistrate would have used their justice powers to decide it was not in the public interest or purse and dismiss the case and this would have been a reasonable adjustment in the circumstances? My naivety clearly.

I am appointed to deal with her affairs with dwp, council tax, HMRC etc and her money gets paid straight to me to manage as she doesn't deal with things well, can't budget and has spontaneous spending behaviour as part of her Bipolar condition, which has racked up debt in the past, especially when she's in a manic phase.

W

This post has been edited by Wheels: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 - 09:59

+Quote Post
Earl Purple
post Fri, 12 Oct 2018 - 09:54
Post #11

Member No.: 39,245

Correspondence would go to the address where the vehicle is registered, i.e. the one on the V5C document.

We see this issue so many times on here, and really we need to put up a big sticky notice reminding people to keep this updated when they move.
When I moved last year, I had a panic as to what to do with important paperwork to ensure it wouldn't get lost in the move. So when it came to the V5C my reaction was "hey, let's just post it to DVLA with the new address. Then it won't get lost!".

Your daughter at the time had a partner who was licensed and insured to drive the vehicle and had access to a key? And obviously was a poor driver that didn't stick to the rules of the road?

By the way, are DVLA aware of your daughter's mental health issues as that is something they usually need to know. My ex-wife had her licence revoked because of her mental health issues back in 2011. She did however then qualify for a freedom pass, which meant she could use public transport for free. In what sense does your daughter "rely" on her car?

Pleading "guilty" on a motoring offence i.e. NIP is actually a criminal offence "perverting the cause". If you didn't do it and someone else did, you MUST name them.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Fri, 12 Oct 2018 - 09:56
Post #12

Reference the second request
1/ Who was it addressed to
2/ Who completed it
3/ Who signed it
4/ Who does it name as driver

If the accused was driving it's a simple exercise to plead guilty to speeding and the FTF being dropped, however this has to be handled PROPERLY. Has she (you) plead not guilty to both?

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 8-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Fri, 12 Oct 2018 - 10:27
Post #13

Member No.: 18,483

QUOTE (Wheels @ Fri, 12 Oct 2018 - 10:53) *
I thought that given the difficulties the judge/magistrate would have used their justice powers to decide it was not in the public interest or purse and dismiss the case and this would have been a reasonable adjustment in the circumstances? My naivety clearly.

I am appointed to deal with her affairs with dwp, council tax, HMRC etc and her money gets paid straight to me to manage as she doesn't deal with things well, can't budget and has spontaneous spending behaviour as part of her Bipolar condition, which has racked up debt in the past, especially when she's in a manic phase.

It’s not within the court’s powers to dismiss the case because it feels that would be in the public interest. I’m still not clear on your appointment - is it as mental health act receiver or similar? Unless it is a formal arrangement you need to be careful attending court for her, particularly if she is not with you. You have no right to represent her, it seems, so court will hear you as a matter of discretion, not right.

It would also be useful, by introducing more clarity, if you could refrain from using “we” when it ought to be “she” or “my daughter”. It may seem picky but she is the one being sent notices and accused of an offence and it helps to understand the circumstances if that is accurately portrayed.

It seems there are two offences in play here, is that correct?

1. An offence of failure to furnish for which she has been convicted and sentenced.
2. An offence of speeding and failure to furnish for which a summons (or similar) has been received?

The first offence

The only options here realistically are to accept the verdict or appeal to the Crown Court. Unless she entered a guilty plea she can appeal against both conviction and sentence. She has 21 days from sentence to do this. An appeal will result in a rehearing of the case in the Crown Court, where her defence can be put again. At the moment it’s not possible to advise on prospects of success, as we don’t have enough information. She is at risk of further costs if she loses. Representations can be made about sentence again if she also appeals against sentence.

The second offence

Presumably the s 172 notice was addressed to your daughter but it sounds like you completed and returned it. What are the prosecution alleging? That the notice was not returned at all or that it was returned but was not properly completed? If your daughter wants to defend this allegation then it’s important to know what is alleged and what evidence there is to counter that.

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Fri, 12 Oct 2018 - 13:38
Post #14

Member No.: 90,659

Has she declared the bipolar to the DVLA? If she has, they have assessed her and said she is fit to drive then that answers the "should she be driving" part in court.

If she hasn't and you are making a lot of noise about her health issues she should really declare ASAP. She can continue to drive whilst they assess her unless she knows of a reason why not.

+Quote Post
Wheels
post Fri, 12 Oct 2018 - 16:46
Post #15

QUOTE (Earl Purple @ Fri, 12 Oct 2018 - 10:54) *
Correspondence would go to the address where the vehicle is registered, i.e. the one on the V5C document.

We see this issue so many times on here, and really we need to put up a big sticky notice reminding people to keep this updated when they move.
When I moved last year, I had a panic as to what to do with important paperwork to ensure it wouldn't get lost in the move. So when it came to the V5C my reaction was "hey, let's just post it to DVLA with the new address. Then it won't get lost!".

Your daughter at the time had a partner who was licensed and insured to drive the vehicle and had access to a key? And obviously was a poor driver that didn't stick to the rules of the road?

By the way, are DVLA aware of your daughter's mental health issues as that is something they usually need to know. My ex-wife had her licence revoked because of her mental health issues back in 2011. She did however then qualify for a freedom pass, which meant she could use public transport for free. In what sense does your daughter "rely" on her car?

Pleading "guilty" on a motoring offence i.e. NIP is actually a criminal offence "perverting the cause". If you didn't do it and someone else did, you MUST name them.

The car was registered to my daughter with correct details. The car was driven by her then partner who was insured to drive any other vehicle on his own policy, the key was hanging on the hook inside the door, so yes access was easy. He most certainly is a poor driver IMO.

She has no intention of pleading guilty, it was not her. DVLA as far as I'm aware only need informing if the mental health condition is not under control and would interfere with her driving capabilities, much like myself, I am disabled, but as I do not drive if I am in so much pain it would be difficult and this is not permanent, I am not restricted on my driving.

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Fri, 12 Oct 2018 - 10:56) *
Reference the second request
1/ Who was it addressed to
2/ Who completed it
3/ Who signed it
4/ Who does it name as driver

If the accused was driving it's a simple exercise to plead guilty to speeding and the FTF being dropped, however this has to be handled PROPERLY. Has she (you) plead not guilty to both?

1/ addressed to my daughter
2/ I did
3/ my daughter did
4/ her then partner

Pled not guilty to both online and have proof of posting with postcode on.

+Quote Post
Wheels
post Fri, 12 Oct 2018 - 17:01
Post #16

QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Fri, 12 Oct 2018 - 11:27) *
QUOTE (Wheels @ Fri, 12 Oct 2018 - 10:53) *

It’s not within the court’s powers to dismiss the case because it feels that would be in the public interest. I’m still not clear on your appointment - is it as mental health act receiver or similar? Unless it is a formal arrangement you need to be careful attending court for her, particularly if she is not with you. You have no right to represent her, it seems, so court will hear you as a matter of discretion, not right.

It would also be useful, by introducing more clarity, if you could refrain from using “we” when it ought to be “she” or “my daughter”. It may seem picky but she is the one being sent notices and accused of an offence and it helps to understand the circumstances if that is accurately portrayed.

It seems there are two offences in play here, is that correct?

1. An offence of failure to furnish for which she has been convicted and sentenced.
2. An offence of speeding and failure to furnish for which a summons (or similar) has been received?

The first offence

The only options here realistically are to accept the verdict or appeal to the Crown Court. Unless she entered a guilty plea she can appeal against both conviction and sentence. She has 21 days from sentence to do this. An appeal will result in a rehearing of the case in the Crown Court, where her defence can be put again. At the moment it’s not possible to advise on prospects of success, as we don’t have enough information. She is at risk of further costs if she loses. Representations can be made about sentence again if she also appeals against sentence.

The second offence

Presumably the s 172 notice was addressed to your daughter but it sounds like you completed and returned it. What are the prosecution alleging? That the notice was not returned at all or that it was returned but was not properly completed? If your daughter wants to defend this allegation then it’s important to know what is alleged and what evidence there is to counter that.

The appointeeship is given by the government/dwp to manage paperwork and benefits etc and is assessed at home and they issue a BF57 which confirms my appointeeship and I can provide to other agencies as proof of this if required.

1) my daughter pled not guilty to both charges and I am over the 21 days for appeal, so I'm interested in what would constitute a good reason to accept a late appeal, before getting to the actual appeal?

2) they've sent out a single justice notice which would indicate that they have not received the original paperwork returned. So an online pleading not guilty to both has been done, my daughter wasn't the driver and I completed the original form, which she signed and we have proof of posting.

For clarity I help my daughter with all things, therefore when I say we in a legal context I mean I will have done the paperwork part, read it to her so that she knows what I have put and signs that she agrees with it. If I am dealing with benefits etc as appointee I sign on her behalf, she does not need to sign anything.

QUOTE (notmeatloaf @ Fri, 12 Oct 2018 - 14:38) *
Has she declared the bipolar to the DVLA? If she has, they have assessed her and said she is fit to drive then that answers the "should she be driving" part in court.

If she hasn't and you are making a lot of noise about her health issues she should really declare ASAP. She can continue to drive whilst they assess her unless she knows of a reason why not.

As I said above, I believe that if the issue is under control for driving purposes she does not need to declare it? Although now I will review the info again and make sure I am correct, or there could be more issues to address. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Fri, 12 Oct 2018 - 22:09
Post #17

Member No.: 90,659

QUOTE (Wheels @ Fri, 12 Oct 2018 - 18:01) *
As I said above, I believe that if the issue is under control for driving purposes she does not need to declare it? Although now I will review the info again and make sure I am correct, or there could be more issues to address. rolleyes.gif

She needs to declare it no matter what if she has received a formal diagnosis of bipolar. If her GP's opinion is that it doesn't affect her driving then it will likely be reissued and costs nothing.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Sat, 13 Oct 2018 - 05:00
Post #18

I think you’ll struggle to get an appeal heard on the first case, I can’t see you have any good reason for not appealing in time.

You need to be much better prepared for the second case, you need to be sure if it’s non receipt of the reply or that they found it unsatisfactory for some other reason. Can you ask the nominated driver if they received anything at all, better still if they will agree to be a witness to the fact that they were indeed driving and thus your daughter had nothing to gain by not replying.

--------------------

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 8-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
Wheels
post Sat, 13 Oct 2018 - 08:38
Post #19

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Sat, 13 Oct 2018 - 06:00) *
I think you’ll struggle to get an appeal heard on the first case, I can’t see you have any good reason for not appealing in time.

You need to be much better prepared for the second case, you need to be sure if it’s non receipt of the reply or that they found it unsatisfactory for some other reason. Can you ask the nominated driver if they received anything at all, better still if they will agree to be a witness to the fact that they were indeed driving and thus your daughter had nothing to gain by not replying.

I think he would for both cases? The delay in replying is discussing it with my daughter, when she's in the correct frame of mind to discuss it, her fear of appearing in court and having a melt down in front of others and now realising that that is a better option than losing her licence. I wanted to appeal immediately, but on advice of a friend that points for failing to provide details is not so frowned upon for insurance purposes than speeding or red light and it wouldn't affect her as badly for renewal, she thought she'd just take it, it has been a long road working with her to see that she shouldn't take a guilty when she's innocent because it will come back and bite you later, which it is doing now.

QUOTE (notmeatloaf @ Fri, 12 Oct 2018 - 23:09) *
QUOTE (Wheels @ Fri, 12 Oct 2018 - 18:01) *

She needs to declare it no matter what if she has received a formal diagnosis of bipolar. If her GP's opinion is that it doesn't affect her driving then it will likely be reissued and costs nothing.

Ok, thank you, I better get some advice on this, because I don't want to something else to floor her. I know people who have been driving for years with mental health diagnoses, some stable, some definitely not, none of whom have declared anything to the DVLA and when I checked last it did say you don't need to report it if it's under control. As she struggles to go out in the first place and is less likely to step a foot out whilst having a melt down, there is less likelihood of her driving distressed, but I will check again.

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Sat, 13 Oct 2018 - 08:42
Post #20

Member No.: 49,223

QUOTE (Wheels @ Sat, 13 Oct 2018 - 09:38) *
...that points for failing to provide details is not so frowned upon for insurance purposes than speeding or red light and it wouldn't affect her as badly for renewal, she thought she'd just take it, it has been a long road working with her to see that she shouldn't take a guilty when she's innocent because it will come back and bite you later, which it is doing now.

An MS90 will likely load more than a 'simple' speeding/red light offence. (As the insurer won't know what actual offence is being 'hidden') The underlying offence would likely have been a 3 points fixed penalty unless it was particularly serious.

FWIW there is a chance of an appeal being allowed but it gets more difficult by the day.

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 19th October 2018 - 10:12
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.