PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Horse riders and moving traffic, Dangerous situation
RD400E
post Mon, 4 Aug 2014 - 20:15
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,023

Yesterday I was driving Southbound on the A176 when a group of 6 or 7 horse riders appeared from the road on the right in the streetview link below.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.558115,0....V1xLZlA!2e0

The lead rider didn't hesitate but rode straight out in front of the Northbound traffic and stuck up her hand in a 'Halt' gesture. This was at mid-day on an extremely busy road with a 50mph limit.
The Northbound traffic had to stop quickly to avoid a collision.
I was about 50 metres from the junction when she turned to face me and repeated the same gesture!
As I was pretty close and going at the posted limit, with no one following me I continued. She then waved her fist at me as if I had committed some kind of crime!!

I do tend to get a bit fed up with these people for many reasons.

1. The think they own the roads.
2. They wear Hi-Vis vests mimicking police riders with chequers and the words POLITE NOTICE printed on them that appears to be a Police vest from a distance.
3. They have no consideration for other road users and will not clear their horses droppings, especially nasty if you're on a cycle/motorcycle.
4. They ride 2 abreast and absolutely refuse to acknowledge the presence of anyone trying to pass them.
5. Are they insured, and if half a ton of horse entered my windscreen would they pay my damages if not insured?

Rant over for now, but some groups of people need to endear themselves to the general public, horse riders in particular must get a reality/attitude check!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Advertisement
post Mon, 4 Aug 2014 - 20:15
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Bluedart
post Tue, 5 Aug 2014 - 01:03
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Life Member
Member No.: 1,388

QUOTE (RD400E @ Mon, 4 Aug 2014 - 21:15) *
Yesterday I was driving Southbound on the A176 when a group of 6 or 7 horse riders appeared from the road on the right in the streetview link below.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.558115,0....V1xLZlA!2e0

The lead rider didn't hesitate but rode straight out in front of the Northbound traffic and stuck up her hand in a 'Halt' gesture. This was at mid-day on an extremely busy road with a 50mph limit.
The Northbound traffic had to stop quickly to avoid a collision.
I was about 50 metres from the junction when she turned to face me and repeated the same gesture!
As I was pretty close and going at the posted limit, with no one following me I continued. She then waved her fist at me as if I had committed some kind of crime!!

I do tend to get a bit fed up with these people for many reasons.

1. The think they own the roads.
2. They wear Hi-Vis vests mimicking police riders with chequers and the words POLITE NOTICE printed on them that appears to be a Police vest from a distance.
3. They have no consideration for other road users and will not clear their horses droppings, especially nasty if you're on a cycle/motorcycle.
4. They ride 2 abreast and absolutely refuse to acknowledge the presence of anyone trying to pass them.
5. Are they insured, and if half a ton of horse entered my windscreen would they pay my damages if not insured?

Rant over for now, but some groups of people need to endear themselves to the general public, horse riders in particular must get a reality/attitude check!

I think you have got this all wrong.
1. They think they own the roads. No! you think you do.
2. Hi-viz vests are a good thing, you can see it more clearly.
3. Do you consider other road users?
4. They can,t always hear you coming, but when they are aware, they will normally go single file (Always give horses on the road a wide berth)
5. I expect most horses are insured, it makes things easier if a claim is required.

I can see you are a very agitated/impatient driver, who only considers himself and not other road users. Road traffic comes in many forms and you should be aware of that and you should get a reality/attitude check. If it was a school party led by a hi-viz clad teacher, would you adobt the same attitude?

--------------------
Peter
What I'd like to see police/local authorities do is deal with important issues and not these sorts of victimless crimes when society is riddled with problems.

If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

'The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.' - Albert Einstein

+Quote Post
Esmerobbo
post Tue, 5 Aug 2014 - 06:04
Post #3

Member No.: 41,035

QUOTE (RD400E @ Mon, 4 Aug 2014 - 20:15) *

So you were a lot further away when she was in the Northbound lane, where did you think they were going to go? I would assume it would have been easier to stop and much safer, you have 100% control over your vehicle, a horse can be easily spooked.

Regarding the hi vis vests horse riders are advised to wear them at all times.

Always found it safer and easier to give horses the room to do what they need to do.

This post has been edited by Esmerobbo: Tue, 5 Aug 2014 - 06:05

+Quote Post
Atomic Tomato
post Tue, 5 Aug 2014 - 06:20
Post #4

Member No.: 6,356

QUOTE (Esmerobbo @ Tue, 5 Aug 2014 - 07:04) *
So you were a lot further away when she was in the Northbound lane, where did you think they were going to go? I would assume it would have been easier to stop and much safer, you have 100% control over your vehicle, a horse can be easily spooked.

As this is in the Flame Pit

Why do we let road users who don't have 100% control over their "transport" which can be "easily spooked" to use the roads?

+Quote Post
Esmerobbo
post Tue, 5 Aug 2014 - 06:30
Post #5

Member No.: 41,035

QUOTE (Atomic Tomato @ Tue, 5 Aug 2014 - 06:20) *
QUOTE (Esmerobbo @ Tue, 5 Aug 2014 - 07:04) *

As this is in the Flame Pit

Why do we let road users who don't have 100% control over their "transport" which can be "easily spooked" to use the roads?

Don't know! However as they can, we with control need to make allowances don't we?

This post has been edited by Esmerobbo: Tue, 5 Aug 2014 - 06:30

+Quote Post
sgtdixie
post Tue, 5 Aug 2014 - 06:32
Post #6

Member No.: 46,399

Cyclists and horse riders have a different perspective to car drivers. If I see a horse I always slow down because of the obvious dangers.. Any competent driver would slow down, after all if you have passed your test you know the Highway Code (stop laughing at the back) and follow it's advice. FWIW drivers have been convicted of careless for driving too fast past horses causing them to be spooked.

The problem is poor driving standards and the unwillingness to slow down for anything. Where I live if you slow down and pass wide you always get a wave of thanks.

I note that the OP says the road was extremely busy, but he was the only person travelling in his direction. Surely a competent driver would have started slowing as soon as they saw a horse. In this case the OP appears to be the one at fault.

+Quote Post
mynamegoesinhere
post Tue, 5 Aug 2014 - 09:06
Post #7

Member No.: 54,933

The OP missed out that they don't pay road tax!!
tongue.gif

+Quote Post
kommando
post Tue, 5 Aug 2014 - 09:15
Post #8

Member No.: 57,558

There are plenty of fields for their antics, why do they need to go out on the road wearing out their shoes wink.gif

They are too easily spooked, I can't even pass then with an air cooled engine running on country lanes.

+Quote Post
Bluedart
post Tue, 5 Aug 2014 - 09:21
Post #9

Group Icon

QUOTE (mynamegoesinhere @ Tue, 5 Aug 2014 - 10:06) *
tongue.gif

The law doesn't require them to pay road tax and I guess your ignorance of paying road tax is on a par with the majority - they have no idea why they pay it or what it is used for. It is certainly not paid to give you sole rights to use the highway on your terms.

--------------------
Peter
What I'd like to see police/local authorities do is deal with important issues and not these sorts of victimless crimes when society is riddled with problems.

If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

'The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.' - Albert Einstein

+Quote Post
nomadros
post Tue, 5 Aug 2014 - 09:27
Post #10

Member No.: 11,089

Effin horse riders are a PITA...just think posh cyclists in beige lycra. PS, I ride horses and cycle but never see the need to take either on a road. The days when these tw4ts could wander about with their hairy mates on tarmac ended about 50 years ago. IMHO lol

+Quote Post
Spenny
post Tue, 5 Aug 2014 - 09:53
Post #11

Member No.: 69,438

QUOTE (Bluedart @ Tue, 5 Aug 2014 - 10:21) *
tongue.gif

The law doesn't require them to pay road tax and I guess your ignorance of paying road tax is on a par with the majority - they have no idea why they pay it or what it is used for. It is certainly not paid to give you sole rights to use the highway on your terms.

<Sigh> Sarcasm doesn't always come across well on a forum. Look again! ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
StuartBu
post Tue, 5 Aug 2014 - 11:05
Post #12

Member No.: 59,097

tongue.gif

WHoooooooosh!!!

+Quote Post
dp7
post Tue, 5 Aug 2014 - 11:22
Post #13

Member No.: 57,435

QUOTE (nomadros @ Tue, 5 Aug 2014 - 10:27) *
I ride horses and cycle but never see the need to take either on a road

To get from one place to another?

+Quote Post
Atomic Tomato
post Tue, 5 Aug 2014 - 11:49
Post #14

Member No.: 6,356

QUOTE (dp7 @ Tue, 5 Aug 2014 - 12:22) *

That's what horse boxes are for.

And they are normally a right pain in the backside too biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
mynamegoesinhere
post Tue, 5 Aug 2014 - 12:34
Post #15

Member No.: 54,933

tongue.gif

Here, this may help: http://bit.ly/wLMAUc
Trust me, as a commuter cyclist, I am very clued up on VED and road funding. (not to mention an instinctive solidarity with other vulnerable road users)

+Quote Post
jdh
post Tue, 5 Aug 2014 - 12:57
Post #16

Member No.: 1,224

QUOTE (dp7 @ Tue, 5 Aug 2014 - 12:22) *
QUOTE (nomadros @ Tue, 5 Aug 2014 - 10:27) *
I ride horses and cycle but never see the need to take either on a road

Horses aren't a particularly good method to go from A to B as you need quite a lot of infrastructure at each end.

+Quote Post
dp7
post Tue, 5 Aug 2014 - 13:06
Post #17

QUOTE (jdh @ Tue, 5 Aug 2014 - 13:57) *
Horses aren't a particularly good method to go from A to B as you need quite a lot of infrastructure at each end.

My comment was really more in reference to that poster's comments about bicycles - though there are clearly situations where someone will need to use a road to take a horse from one place to another too (moving between fields, for example)

+Quote Post
Bluedart
post Tue, 5 Aug 2014 - 14:36
Post #18

Group Icon

QUOTE (dp7 @ Tue, 5 Aug 2014 - 14:06) *
QUOTE (jdh @ Tue, 5 Aug 2014 - 13:57) *

My comment was really more in reference to that poster's comments about bicycles - though there are clearly situations where someone will need to use a road to take a horse from one place to another too (moving between fields, for example)

One of the top jump trainers - Paul Nichols, walks all of his horses on block for about half a mile or more from stable to training ground.
And I am sorry, but you will just have to sit and wait.

Take a sandwich and a cuppa cause you will be there for some time - sometimes, depending on how many horses he takes.

And there are many other trainers that do exactly the same.

Some people do not live in horsey land so have no idea what goes on.

--------------------
Peter

+Quote Post
dp7
post Tue, 5 Aug 2014 - 14:52
Post #19

QUOTE (Bluedart @ Tue, 5 Aug 2014 - 15:36) *
And there are many other trainers that do exactly the same.

Indeed. Much of Lambourn, for starters.

+Quote Post
SatNavSam
post Tue, 5 Aug 2014 - 17:20
Post #20

Member No.: 55,802

So, (sorry GB) why not treat other road users with courtesy and politeness - you might find the idea spreads and grows. If not, well you'll just be making the world a better place by one! wink.gif
The old saying, a smile costs nothing and uses less effort than a scowl, fits.

--------------------

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Tuesday, 16th April 2024 - 16:10
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here