Advertise here!

Go to the top of the page

Quote Post
Mortimer
post Wed, 26 Jan 2011 - 13:10
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,892

Troy Tempest was the captain of Stingray.

+Quote Post
Ocelot
post Wed, 26 Jan 2011 - 13:13
Post #42

Member No.: 1,326

QUOTE (pumps100 @ Wed, 26 Jan 2011 - 12:36) *
While out with the dog this morning I came up with another thought about a comment I should have incorporated into the letter to the Independent. Mr Troy suggests regulation is the answer to the issue of the private wheel clamping industry. You cannot seriously expect government to regulate what is effectively racketeering. The solution is simple - ban it completely as in Scotland and the problem is resolved.

Please feel free to use any of this for any letters.

BTW was Troy a character in Fireball XL5 - or was it Stingray?

Regards

Ian

Stingray!

+Quote Post
Gan
post Wed, 26 Jan 2011 - 14:11
Post #43

Member No.: 27,239

QUOTE (pumps100 @ Wed, 26 Jan 2011 - 12:36) *
While out with the dog this morning I came up with another thought about a comment I should have incorporated into the letter to the Independent. Mr Troy suggests regulation is the answer to the issue of the private wheel clamping industry. You cannot seriously expect government to regulate what is effectively racketeering. The solution is simple - ban it completely as in Scotland and the problem is resolved.

Please feel free to use any of this for any letters.

BTW was Troy a character in Fireball XL5 - or was it Stingray?

Regards

Ian

The mention of Fireball XL5 just reminded me that my first crush was a blonde puppet, although, in my defence, I was very young and Dr Venus was French.

Didn't Stingray feature the voices of Ray Barrett and Lois Maxwell (Miss Moneypenny) ?

+Quote Post
nigel_bytes
post Wed, 26 Jan 2011 - 14:31
Post #44

Member No.: 992

Did Parker ever get clamped ? Maybe he'd call International Rescue laugh.gif

+Quote Post
pumps100
post Wed, 26 Jan 2011 - 14:45
Post #45

Member No.: 43,217

QUOTE (nigel_bytes @ Wed, 26 Jan 2011 - 14:31) *
Did Parker ever get clamped ? Maybe he'd call International Rescue laugh.gif

I see my appeal for solidarity against the clamping industry has turned into something else. I started the decline so I suppose it is entirely my fault.

Nigel,

You have gone completely off topic. As most will know Parker was Lady Penelope's chauffeur and it was Thunderbirds (I think!) biggrin.gif

Regards

Ian

--------------------
NOTICE: The content of this post and of any replies to it may assist in or relate to the formulation of strategy tactics etcetera in a legal action. This post and any replies to it should therefore be assumed to be legally privileged and therefore must not be disclosed, copied, quoted, discussed, used or referred to outside of the PePiPoo forum on which it was originally posted, additionally it must not be disclosed, copied, quoted, discussed, used or referred to by any person or organisation other than a member of PePiPoo appropriately paid up and in full compliance with the PePiPoo terms of use for the forum on which it was originally posted. The PePiPoo terms of use can be found at http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=boardrules. For the avoidance of doubt, if you are reading this material in any form other than an on-line HTML resource directly and legitimately accessed via a URL commencing "http://forums.pepipoo.com" then it has been obtained by improper means and you are probably reading it in breach of legal privilege. If the material you are reading does not include this notice then it has been obtained improperly and you are probably reading it in breach of legal privilege. Your attention is drawn to the Written Standards for the Conduct of Professional Work issued by the Bar Standards Board particularly under heading 7, "Documents". Any advice given is taken at your own risk and no liability is accepted if things go wrong.

+Quote Post
Gan
post Wed, 26 Jan 2011 - 16:37
Post #46

Member No.: 27,239

My former manager was nicknamed Thunderbird 1.

Whenever a situation involved the chance of overseas travel he would be the first on the scene.

Responsibility for lugging all the equipment and doing something with it was left to the poor unfortunate who had ended up as TB2 for the day.

+Quote Post
pumps100
post Wed, 26 Jan 2011 - 18:31
Post #47

For the avoidance of any doubt I believe this is the Troy under discussion

Regards

Ian

--------------------
NOTICE: The content of this post and of any replies to it may assist in or relate to the formulation of strategy tactics etcetera in a legal action. This post and any replies to it should therefore be assumed to be legally privileged and therefore must not be disclosed, copied, quoted, discussed, used or referred to outside of the PePiPoo forum on which it was originally posted, additionally it must not be disclosed, copied, quoted, discussed, used or referred to by any person or organisation other than a member of PePiPoo appropriately paid up and in full compliance with the PePiPoo terms of use for the forum on which it was originally posted. The PePiPoo terms of use can be found at http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=boardrules. For the avoidance of doubt, if you are reading this material in any form other than an on-line HTML resource directly and legitimately accessed via a URL commencing "http://forums.pepipoo.com" then it has been obtained by improper means and you are probably reading it in breach of legal privilege. If the material you are reading does not include this notice then it has been obtained improperly and you are probably reading it in breach of legal privilege. Your attention is drawn to the Written Standards for the Conduct of Professional Work issued by the Bar Standards Board particularly under heading 7, "Documents". Any advice given is taken at your own risk and no liability is accepted if things go wrong.

+Quote Post
roythebus
post Wed, 26 Jan 2011 - 19:05
Post #48

Member No.: 9,683

Seen in the local lonely hearts column: Thunderbirds fan seeks romance-no strings attached.

+Quote Post
pumps100
post Wed, 26 Jan 2011 - 20:21
Post #49

Guess what if you google 'Patrick Troy (not Troy Tempest) and wheel clamping' you get library of press articles/real stories about wheel clamping incidents. It is a useful but sad point of reference. Troy Tempest's stock response is " Wheel clamping is a last resport....". What a lot of tosh.

Regards

Ian

--------------------

+Quote Post
JSB1
post Thu, 27 Jan 2011 - 01:03
Post #50

Member No.: 27,098

Patrick Troy, Esq.

QUOTE (pumps100 @ Wed, 26 Jan 2011 - 18:31) *
For the avoidance of any doubt I believe this is the Troy under discussion

No, the picture I provided is funnier.

+Quote Post
Ossian
post Thu, 27 Jan 2011 - 07:50
Post #51

Member No.: 15,086

But both of them show strings being pulled laughing6.gif

+Quote Post
buttonpusher
post Thu, 27 Jan 2011 - 08:11
Post #52

Member No.: 11,066

BPA motto, "If at first you don't succeed, Troy, Troy again".

+Quote Post
pumps100
post Thu, 27 Jan 2011 - 15:50
Post #53

Well surprise surprise there are a couple of letters in today's Independent in response to Troy Tempest's wheel clamping letter of earlier in the week. Both letters fit very nicely as a combo.

One of them I have seen somewhere before.

Enjoy

Regards

Ian

This post has been edited by pumps100: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 - 13:27

--------------------

+Quote Post
Glacier2
post Thu, 27 Jan 2011 - 16:21
Post #54

Member No.: 1,131

BPA motto, "If at first you don't succeed, Troy, Troy again".

LOL! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Glacier2: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 - 17:08

+Quote Post
pumps100
post Sun, 30 Jan 2011 - 14:24
Post #55

I noticed that Lynn Featherstone MP the Home Office Minister answered a written question in parliament on 26th january about 'protection' in the Freedom Bill for private landowners. I wonder if the person asking the question is on the board of the SIA or Troy tempest's BPA. Seems an odd question.

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?id=2011-01-26a.35693.h

Regards

Ian

--------------------

+Quote Post
pumps100
post Tue, 1 Feb 2011 - 09:10
Post #56

The Independent is continuing with its Perspectives on Wheel Clamping in the letters page.

I think it is the infamous LBS??

From The Independent 31.1.11
How a sick lady was gouged for £500

I stopped my car for just five minutes in an empty car park in Essex because I desperately needed the loo at an adjacent petrol station (letters, 25 January). I came out to find my vehicle clamped and the clamper standing beside my car.

I begged and pleaded. I had barely the cash for my petrol, no credit cards, no mobile phone, a middle-aged woman in poor health, 80 miles from home and no one I could contact.

The clampers produced an ancient tow-truck within a few minutes and removed my car. I was crying so much I couldn't even understand where they were taking it. By now, the anxiety, together with an underlying illness, was causing an asthma attack but I somehow had to make my way to the clamper "headquarters" in Ockendon.

This turned out to be a scrapyard with roaming pit-bull terriers, where I was admitted and then locked in with the abusive and terrifying owner who refused to release my car until I had paid £500.

I eventually managed to get a friend to phone over payment. By this time, the asthma attack had become severe and an ambulance had to be called. A kindly paramedic retrieved my car; I couldn't take any more of the jeering and sneering clampers and their laughing comments that I had brought it all on myself.

Essex police were not interested. Likewise the relevant council and trading standards. I believe this Essex clamping firm laughs at anyone who attempts to sue them. They merely cease trading then re-emerge under a variety of names.

I would be so grateful for advice from Patrick Troy, the chief executive of the British Parking Association about where I should go from here, bearing in mind I have no money for legal fees or solicitors, and I am still paying back the £500.

Diana Jennings

If you have read this and you want to play your part in bringing an end to private wheel clamping without appeasement to the racketeers can you do this?

1. Go on the internet and find out your member of parliament's name and get his/her email address at Westminster - easy to find.

2. Send him/her and email regarding 'Wheel Clamping' something like:-
I understand that as part of the Governments Freedom Bill there is to be a ban on the clamping of vehicles on private land by private wheel clampers. But what seems unclear to me is when the actual ban will become law. In my opinion the current uncertainty is making the situation even worse as private clampers are apparently becoming ever more predatory.

Can you please ask the Home Office Minister when the ban on private wheel clamping will become law - or give a best estimate of when will actually happen.

3. Your MP will just send your query to the Home Office and hopefully public opinion should help to move matters forward. The longer it takes the more fears I have that they will take a softer line with the racketeers.

Your action can make a difference.

Regards

Ian

This post has been edited by pumps100: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 - 09:13

--------------------

+Quote Post
pumps100
post Tue, 1 Feb 2011 - 14:10
Post #57

From today's Independent - more letters.

Not so sure I understand what the man from the RAC is saying
Clamp ban won't end the misery

The RAC Foundation has the utmost sympathy with motorists who are clamped on private land and treated unreasonably, like Diana Jennings (letter, 31 January). But a ban on wheel clamping will not end the misery of fines imposed by parking enforcers on private land. If the Government goes ahead and prohibits wheel-clamping without regulating other activities, motorists may find themselves worse off.

It is our belief that rogue clampers will simply become rogue ticketers – pressuring drivers into paying charges on the spot, or following them home. What is being proposed by the Government falls far short of what is needed to ensure that motorists will not be exploited by an unregulated parking industry. Anyone dealing with parking matters and collection of penalties and charges should have to abide by a government-approved code of conduct. The war on the motorist will not end with a ban on wheel clamping.

Stephen Glaister
Director, RAC Foundation, London

And this
The distressing letter from Diana Jennings about her experience in being forced to pay £500 to a gang of wheel-clampers shows what the nature of the problem is.
Gangs of crooks are taking over patches of unused land and are using them to lure unsuspecting motorists into situations where money can be extorted from them. This is nothing to do with the provision of parking but everything to do with organised robbery on a large scale.

Currently the law in England is taking a relaxed view about this process, provided that the word "parking" is quoted. However, this should be seen as nothing more than the forcible demanding of money with menaces, and the existing law on this crime must be applied with maximum severity.

Sam Boote
Nottingham

Regards

Ian

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mortimer
post Tue, 1 Feb 2011 - 15:29
Post #58

Member No.: 21,892

I think what the RAC chap is getting at is that if clamping is banned, all that will happen is that vulnerable drivers will find themselves with tickets instead, and a PPC van blocking their exit until the ticket has been paid, or worse driving home and being confronted by a PPC operative who has followed them.

I can see how for some people this could actually be worse.

So what the chap is getting at is that the proposals do not go far enough in the sense that it isn't just the clamping, it should include any attempts to block drivers from driving their vehicles away, and also to ensure that drivers are protected from thuggish harassment either at the scene or at home.

+Quote Post
neil3841
post Tue, 1 Feb 2011 - 18:33
Post #59

Member No.: 4,184

QUOTE (Mortimer @ Tue, 1 Feb 2011 - 15:29) *
I think what the RAC chap is getting at is that if clamping is banned, all that will happen is that vulnerable drivers will find themselves with tickets instead, and a PPC van blocking their exit until the ticket has been paid, or worse driving home and being confronted by a PPC operative who has followed them.

I can see how for some people this could actually be worse.

So what the chap is getting at is that the proposals do not go far enough in the sense that it isn't just the clamping, it should include any attempts to block drivers from driving their vehicles away, and also to ensure that drivers are protected from thuggish harassment either at the scene or at home.

But causing a obstuction with a vehicle is ticketable by the police therefore calling them and making a complaint should result is them getting a valid ticket. However what is less clear what happens it they put a chain accross the gate.

+Quote Post
emanresu
post Tue, 1 Feb 2011 - 19:16
Post #60

Member No.: 13,324

Clamp ban won't end the misery

Any change in legislation usually gets the comment - Did you trial it? / Are you going to trial it?

Everyone seems to forget that north of the border there is no private clamping. A real long term "trial" which has not caused massed jam-ups.

It seems that most commentators either have a vested interest or are talking out of their alternative mouthpieces.

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 13:38
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here