Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Gatso pictures with 2 cars present
weavingweb
post Thu, 6 Apr 2006 - 15:35
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,214

Can someone give me some advice please?

I got snapped overtaking another car (51 in a 40mph zone). I phoned up to arrange to go and see the photos but they very helpfully E-mailed them to me!

The photos clearly show two cars level in the first shot and I have moved a little ahead in the second shot. Also I'm crossing a white hashed area (this was not intentional I had mistaken this section of road for another one just a bit further on - hence the camera in the first place!).

I got the following response on E-mail when I queried whether a shot with 2 cars present is valid:

"The images were checked prior to the first notices being sent out.
I have had the matter looked at again .even with the vehicle you are overtaking our office is satisfied that your vehicle was the one that activated the camera . We are therefore prepared to stand by these findings."

Any suggestions as to how I should proceed? Do I need to admit that I was the driver on the NIP or should I try to get into discussion before that?

Can the photos be used to do me for going over a hashed area, if I make a fuss on the speeding side of it?

Any advice gratefully received!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 1)
Advertisement
post Thu, 6 Apr 2006 - 15:35
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
wilbye999
post Thu, 27 Apr 2006 - 16:13
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,795

Checkout all of the ACPO Guidelines and then ask them how they are satisfied yours was the vehicle that activated the camera. Ask for the technical explanation of how they know it was yours, and cite the technical explanation in the ACPO guidelines. At this point they may cave in.

Now if the camera is placed at the side of the road and you were overtaking, then you would be the vehicle farthest away from the camera. If the camera is on the central reservation then you will be nearest the camera.

FYI part of the guidelines are below.

If you go to court you would need to show that the radar beam was too wide to distinguish which of the vehicles activated the camera. In theory, if the two cars are the same size and material so that to the radar, they give the same strength of reflection, then it will be the one nearest the camera that will trigger the beam just as ACPO says. Because as it is nearer it will have the strongest reflection - the strength of reflection of a target is weaker, the further away it is. So if you were furthest from the camera you could reasonably argue that based on the ACPO information yours was not the vehicle that triggered the camera. I can’t think of any technical explanation they could offer that would prove yours was the vehicle that triggered, assuming yours was furthest from the camera

Best of luck

The meter will always display the speed of the strongest returned signal. When two cars of similar size are approaching the meter it may display the speed of the nearer vehicle.
The signal received by the radar not only depends on the distance of the vehicle, but also its size, so that a large lorry some distance from the meter may return a signal stronger than a small car closer to the meter.

The radar meter has an aerial which forms the radar signal into a beam so most of the signal is sent out directly ahead of the meter, but some of the signal spreads out on either side of the main beam. The coverage of the radar depends on several factors, including: (a) the radar power (b) receiver sensitivity © aerial characteristics (d) the size of the target vehicle (e) its distance from the observer, and (f) its position in the aerial beam

QUOTE (weavingweb @ Thu, 6 Apr 2006 - 16:35) *
Can someone give me some advice please?

I got snapped overtaking another car (51 in a 40mph zone). I phoned up to arrange to go and see the photos but they very helpfully E-mailed them to me!

The photos clearly show two cars level in the first shot and I have moved a little ahead in the second shot. Also I'm crossing a white hashed area (this was not intentional I had mistaken this section of road for another one just a bit further on - hence the camera in the first place!).

I got the following response on E-mail when I queried whether a shot with 2 cars present is valid:

"The images were checked prior to the first notices being sent out.
I have had the matter looked at again .even with the vehicle you are overtaking our office is satisfied that your vehicle was the one that activated the camera . We are therefore prepared to stand by these findings."

Any suggestions as to how I should proceed? Do I need to admit that I was the driver on the NIP or should I try to get into discussion before that?

Can the photos be used to do me for going over a hashed area, if I make a fuss on the speeding side of it?

Any advice gratefully received!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Friday, 20th September 2019 - 23:33
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.