Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Small claims, Claimant or not?
Foxy01
post Thu, 21 May 2020 - 17:33
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Life Member
Member No.: 82,764

Hi I'm looking for some informed opinion. I'm currently bringing a claim against a retailer. The defendant has stated that they did not contract with me and as such I do not have standing to bring a claim. They say that the contract was with a 3rd party (my partner who is an employee of a subsidiary company) and I was merely acting as an agent. The only evidence they provide of this is hearsay. The invoices provided (none were provided at time of sale) cloud the issue further by naming an employee of the retailer. So my question would be should I:

1, Carry on as I feel there is enough evidence that I did contract with them, and they don't seem to have evidence to back their assertion that I didn't.

2, Get a witness statement from my partner stating that they were not party to the contract and so I was not acting as agent.

3, Join my partner as a claimant to the claim

I look forward to your responses.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Advertisement
post Thu, 21 May 2020 - 17:33
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
southpaw82
post Thu, 21 May 2020 - 18:01
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,483

Well... it would probably help if you gave some clue as to the circumstances...

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
Foxy01
post Thu, 21 May 2020 - 18:12
Post #3

Group Icon

I paid for item over the phone by credit card. It was delivered/fitted and found to be faulty. The retailer then supplied a second item (they refused to replace the first item and said I would have to submit a warranty claim) charged to my credit card. Again it was delivered/fitted and found to be faulty. The defendant says the items were ordered by my partner and that I was merely an agent. The end user was my partner (but that's not what the defendant alleges).

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Thu, 21 May 2020 - 18:46
Post #4

Member No.: 317

Are you claiming using the consumer rights act or for them breaching the warranty?

The user (your partner) may be the person with the warranty contract, but my understanding is that the person who actually pays (agent or otherwise) is the person with a claim under the CRA.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
Foxy01
post Thu, 21 May 2020 - 18:59
Post #5

Group Icon

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Thu, 21 May 2020 - 19:46) *
Are you claiming using the consumer rights act or for them breaching the warranty?

The user (your partner) may be the person with the warranty contract, but my understanding is that the person who actually pays (agent or otherwise) is the person with a claim under the CRA.

I'm claiming under the CRA, obviously their defence is trying to deny me that. After that their defence is poor by my reckoning, basically referring to their T & C's.
I'm just looking at the options. Will the court side with the Defendant or not?

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Thu, 21 May 2020 - 19:19
Post #6

Member No.: 18,483

Considering we have next to no information, who knows?

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
Foxy01
post Thu, 21 May 2020 - 19:30
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Thu, 21 May 2020 - 20:19) *
Considering we have next to no information, who knows?

I was just trying to get a general feel from people who have experience of small claims. Since many Private Parking claims challenge on standing I was hoping to understand whether it is usually a strongly argued point or not. I could upload the full claim and defence? What information would help?

This post has been edited by Foxy01: Thu, 21 May 2020 - 19:32

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Thu, 21 May 2020 - 19:55
Post #8

Member No.: 317

Well how about giving us more information?

Standing in PPC claims hinges on the details, you’ve given us pretty much none.

Of course the T&Cs are irrelevant if they have breached the CRA, they cannot diminish your rights under the CRA.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Sat, 23 May 2020 - 22:37
Post #9

Member No.: 42,618

QUOTE (Foxy01 @ Thu, 21 May 2020 - 19:12) *
I paid for item over the phone by credit card.

Did the item cost more than £100?

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
Foxy01
post Sun, 24 May 2020 - 08:51
Post #10

Group Icon

QUOTE (cp8759 @ Sat, 23 May 2020 - 23:37) *

Yes, there were two purchases. Both over £400.

+Quote Post
Barry S
post Sun, 24 May 2020 - 09:06
Post #11

Member No.: 59,866

Perhaps more importantly: Was it a Business to Business transaction or a Business to Consumer one? The original post suggests that it may be the former (or that the supplier in question thinks it is), in which case the CRA wouldn't apply.

+Quote Post
Foxy01
post Sun, 24 May 2020 - 09:20
Post #12

Group Icon

QUOTE (Barry S @ Sun, 24 May 2020 - 10:06) *
Perhaps more importantly: Was it a Business to Business transaction or a Business to Consumer one? The original post suggests that it may be the former (or that the supplier in question thinks it is), in which case the CRA wouldn't apply.

I understand that argument. The defence merely states that they contracted with my partner not me, and as such I was only acting as agent and therefore don't have standing to bring the claim. The items were paid for with my personal credit card.

+Quote Post
TMC Towcester
post Sun, 24 May 2020 - 10:42
Post #13

Member No.: 80,686

Surely if you ordered and paid (as yourself and with your own CC?) you are not an agent, no different than me buying something over the counter for my elderly Mum who gives it to someone else etc etc (i.e makes no difference).

Was the warranty part of the purchase? It reads as if the partner has some sort of insurance and a claim is made via that? If so, the partner is the principal as it must be the partner's item to be able to claim?

As others - not enough detail.

+Quote Post
Foxy01
post Sun, 24 May 2020 - 10:58
Post #14

Group Icon

QUOTE (TMC Towcester @ Sun, 24 May 2020 - 11:42) *
Surely if you ordered and paid (as yourself and with your own CC?) you are not an agent, no different than me buying something over the counter for my elderly Mum who gives it to someone else etc etc (i.e makes no difference).

Was the warranty part of the purchase? It reads as if the partner has some sort of insurance and a claim is made via that? If so, the partner is the principal as it must be the partner's item to be able to claim?

As others - not enough detail.

I'm relying on your first point. There was no warranty purchased with the item. When the first item was found to be faulty and I contacted the retailer they said I would have to purchase a second item and submit a warranty claim for the refund on the first item (their T&C's).

+Quote Post
Slapdash
post Sun, 24 May 2020 - 11:08
Post #15

Member No.: 86,040

Since you paid by credit card then surely the card provider is jointly liable under the consumer credit act. Have you tried to progress via that avenue?

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Sun, 24 May 2020 - 16:32
Post #16

QUOTE (Foxy01 @ Sun, 24 May 2020 - 09:51) *

Your best bet is to pursue the credit card company, I've recently done this for a botched garage repair. The garage first fobbed me off, then said they would fix the vehicle but if they determined they were not at fault, I'd be charged the cost of the additional repair, and when I politely declined and asked for a refund they decided to ignore my correspondence. I claimed off the credit card company and didn't even have to issue proceedings, they simply agreed the garage was liable and refunded the money, all it took was a few letters and photographic evidence.

It's easy for credit card companies to just issue a refund as they simply debit the merchant and if the merchant wants to take issue with this, well basically they'd have to sue the bank to get the money back. As you might guess, no merchant is going to bother if they were in any way a fault.

A couple of useful links:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/...your-purchases/
https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/reg...umer-credit-act

In the fist instance I'd go after the credit card company. They have much, much deeper pockets than the merchant.

This post has been edited by cp8759: Sun, 24 May 2020 - 16:33

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
Foxy01
post Sun, 24 May 2020 - 17:33
Post #17

Group Icon

QUOTE (cp8759 @ Sun, 24 May 2020 - 17:32) *
QUOTE (Foxy01 @ Sun, 24 May 2020 - 09:51) *

Your best bet is to pursue the credit card company, I've recently done this for a botched garage repair. The garage first fobbed me off, then said they would fix the vehicle but if they determined they were not at fault, I'd be charged the cost of the additional repair, and when I politely declined and asked for a refund they decided to ignore my correspondence. I claimed off the credit card company and didn't even have to issue proceedings, they simply agreed the garage was liable and refunded the money, all it took was a few letters and photographic evidence.

It's easy for credit card companies to just issue a refund as they simply debit the merchant and if the merchant wants to take issue with this, well basically they'd have to sue the bank to get the money back. As you might guess, no merchant is going to bother if they were in any way a fault.

A couple of useful links:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/...your-purchases/
https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/reg...umer-credit-act

In the fist instance I'd go after the credit card company. They have much, much deeper pockets than the merchant.

Since I've already started the claim I would then lose the cost of the claim if I discontinue? Also if as you suggest the card company debit the merchant I wouldn't put it past the merchant to then 'take it out' on my partner, this was one of the reasons I didn't request a chargeback.

+Quote Post
Slapdash
post Sun, 24 May 2020 - 17:47
Post #18

Member No.: 86,040

Surely if you proceed to court and win they will be just as likely to "take it out" on your partner ?

If you have issued proceedings you are beyond amicable resolution anyway.

But I understand your dilemma. Was there a "staff discount" type of pricing ?

This post has been edited by Slapdash: Sun, 24 May 2020 - 17:55

+Quote Post
Foxy01
post Sun, 24 May 2020 - 18:22
Post #19

Group Icon

QUOTE (Slapdash @ Sun, 24 May 2020 - 18:47) *
Surely if you proceed to court and win they will be just as likely to "take it out" on your partner ?

If you have issued proceedings you are beyond amicable resolution anyway.

But I understand your dilemma. Was there a "staff discount" type of pricing ?

The 2 invoices that have been provided do have a line saying 'Staff cash sale'. However neither make any mention of my partner or of the subsidiary company. The name on them is that of a different employee. Also the first invoice total doesn't match up with the amount charged to the credit card.
I did make every effort to resolve the matter and got ignored. They didn't respond to the letter before claim, only acting after I raised the claim. This is a large national company and the consensus was I wouldn't get my money back.

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Mon, 25 May 2020 - 10:53
Post #20

You should not lose the cost of the claim as the credit card company has joint and several liability. If it's a large national company I'm tempted to say you might as well press on, as you should be able to collect if you get a judgment.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 15:42
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here