PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Speeding Nip M74 Scotland
mark1scotland
post Sat, 16 Dec 2017 - 17:14
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 42,242

Got my Nip through a couple of weeks ago, 80mph on M74 motorway near Lockerbie. Just a quick one, does the going unsigned route on the Nip form still work ? I used this method to succesful results around 18 Months or so ago. Thanks in advance Mark.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Advertisement
post Sat, 16 Dec 2017 - 17:14
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
The Rookie
post Sat, 16 Dec 2017 - 17:38
Post #2

Member No.: 317

Their is no suggestion that unsigned is not working exactly the same as it has for the last 10 years......

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
mark1scotland
post Sat, 16 Dec 2017 - 17:53
Post #3

Thanks Rookie, looks like I will be going down that route again then. I tried to find the thread on my last Nip unsigned but it appears to be gone.

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Sat, 16 Dec 2017 - 18:01
Post #4

Member No.: 18,483

This one?

Or this one?

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
mark1scotland
post Sat, 16 Dec 2017 - 18:08
Post #5

Has there been any other unsigned cases up here since my last one ? Just curious as to courts still taking the same stance.

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Sat, 16 Dec 2017 - 18:21
Post #6

Member No.: 18,483

Lots - do a search on "unsigned".

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
Logician
post Sat, 16 Dec 2017 - 19:35
Post #7

Member No.: 36,528

Where court is threatened the PF bottles out at the last minute, I do not remember hearing of any that have actually gone to court.

--------------------

+Quote Post
andy_foster
post Sat, 16 Dec 2017 - 19:37
Post #8

Group Icon

Group: Life Member
Member No.: 1,624

I have heard of several that went to court, just none that went to trial - the PF would wait to see if the accused turned up on the day of the trial and maintained his NG plea before dropping the case (unless of course the accused blinked first).

--------------------
Andy

Some people think that I make them feel stupid. To be fair, they deserve most of the credit.

+Quote Post
Mayhem007
post Tue, 26 Dec 2017 - 10:13
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 23,903

You have not revealled any specific details of your case, which is a good thing. The Scottish police seem to take a great interest in this forum. Just be careful what you say on here. I know from experience many moons ago.

--------------------
STAND UP FOR YOURSELF OR YOU WILL FALL FOR ANYTHING

Ultracrepadarion - A person who offers an opinion on a subject they know nothing about.

+Quote Post
JP1978
post Wed, 27 Dec 2017 - 15:07
Post #10

Member No.: 59,192

Will the Police/PF be more willing to pursue this if one is considered a serial offender - by that, I mean you successfully dodged police visits to the door last time, would the police see the history and make sure they make even more home visits to get you to sign?

+Quote Post
NewJudge
post Wed, 27 Dec 2017 - 16:17
Post #11

Member No.: 23,623

QUOTE (JP1978 @ Wed, 27 Dec 2017 - 15:07) *
Will the Police/PF be more willing to pursue this if one is considered a serial offender - by that, I mean you successfully dodged police visits to the door last time, would the police see the history and make sure they make even more home visits to get you to sign?

They might do. But I don't see how they might "get you to sign" or to get you to make a verbal statement (unless they do something unspeakable with a red hot poker). As I understand it a good deal of resilience is often needed to succeed with an "unsigned" matter and I cannot see this being any different for a serial offender than a first-timer. Of course what the Scottish Authorities need to do is to bite the bullet and take a case to a proper conclusion through their courts. But that's a discussion for elsewhere, I fancy.

+Quote Post
mark1scotland
post Wed, 27 Dec 2017 - 20:07
Post #12

Nip sent back unsigned, I did notice however that the firm now says you must sign it. Got recorded delivery receipt & proof of delivery. Now we sit back and wait again.

Form not firm sorry

+Quote Post
Logician
post Wed, 27 Dec 2017 - 21:55
Post #13

Member No.: 36,528

And indeed the police will want you to sign it and will no doubt write and then try to speak to you to say the same. Resisting this pressure calls for the resilience New Judge talks about, the last thing the authorities want is to make it an easy option.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mark1scotland
post Thu, 28 Dec 2017 - 17:53
Post #14

Got my Nip returned today with a nice letter giving me 10 days to return & sign it, now here is the thing do I return it again unsigned ? Or do I not bother as their letter confirms proof of recieving it in the first place ? In their letter they claim it is a breach of S172 not to sign the Nip. Looks like this lot are on the ball.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Thu, 28 Dec 2017 - 18:19
Post #15

Member No.: 317

Entirely normal response, personal,y I’d send it back (still unsigned) just after the 10 days to try and delay the process a little more.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
Mayhem007
post Mon, 1 Jan 2018 - 10:53
Post #16

Group Icon

Member No.: 23,903

Be prepared for 6 months of knocks on your door and police officer sitting outside in their car. If you live in Scotland they will be persistent, if in England then the local bobby won't be so determined.

Beware police can gain entry to an unlocked door if there is no response by the occupants or lack of occupants.

I wouldn't even bother to send the documents back after 10 days, however in my day I was given 28 days. You've done your bit, it's just a cat and mouse game now.

When the six months are up you can open your door to any bobby and give all the details you want and then no comment to questions like were you speeding etc etc.

Good luck

This post has been edited by Mayhem007: Mon, 1 Jan 2018 - 10:54

--------------------
STAND UP FOR YOURSELF OR YOU WILL FALL FOR ANYTHING

Ultracrepadarion - A person who offers an opinion on a subject they know nothing about.

+Quote Post
andy_foster
post Mon, 1 Jan 2018 - 11:26
Post #17

Group Icon

Member No.: 1,624

Scottish case law says that there is only one s. 172 request/requirement (which you have either complied with or you haven't). Subsequent requests are merely 'reminders'.
In other words, if the polis do catch up with you and ask you who was driving, refusing to tell them would not constitute an s. 172 offence.

--------------------
Andy

Some people think that I make them feel stupid. To be fair, they deserve most of the credit.

+Quote Post
mark1scotland
post Fri, 19 Jan 2018 - 21:05
Post #18

Got a new blank NIP in the post and a lovely letter asking me to fill it in, also informed me that I am outwith the 28 days but they are giving me one last chance. Currently on holiday & debating to send new form back unsigned to drag it out a bit more.

+Quote Post
Irksome
post Sat, 20 Jan 2018 - 17:42
Post #19

Member No.: 38,303

QUOTE (Mayhem007 @ Tue, 26 Dec 2017 - 10:13) *
You have not revealled any specific details of your case, which is a good thing. The Scottish police seem to take a great interest in this forum. Just be careful what you say on here. I know from experience many moons ago.

Unfortunately for the OP if I can identify him in 60 seconds I'm pretty certain a blindfolded policeman could too ... so he'd better hope the force involved doesn't take interest in this thread!

--------------------
PePiPoo will likely close in October due to issues beyond the control of any contributor to this forum.

You are encouraged to seek advice at https://www.ftla.uk/speeding-and-other-criminal-offences/ where the vast majority of the experts here have moved over to already.

+Quote Post
notmeatloaf
post Sat, 20 Jan 2018 - 20:19
Post #20

Member No.: 90,659

QUOTE (JP1978 @ Wed, 27 Dec 2017 - 15:07) *

Just to pick up on this there are two ways of looking at it.

If/when the PF eventually decide to try their luck they may want to go for a "big fish", 130mph or whatever, on the basis they may get a more sympathetic ear if it's seen as letting off a clearly dangerous motorist.

Or they may decide to go for a 79mph to avoid the inevitably publicity if a 130mph trial collapsed.

Realistically unsigned S172s are probably still a relatively small problem for them and their tactic for the last decade is to threaten a bit and then shut up. Whilst it remains a small percentage they will probably stick with a tactic that works. None of us know if that percentage is going up, down or steady. But the odds are ridiculously in your favour.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 17:56
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here