No right turn Camden, advice sought
thevwguy
post Tue, 30 Oct 2018 - 12:00
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 100,668

Hello Everyone

I was hoping i can find some help here

I apparently performed an illegal right turn onto faversham road camden in September this year

I got a pcn and disputed it

The video evidence could not be viewed online and after dismissing my representations they sent me a copy of the video evidence

My concerns are that no photograph or video shows my vehicle passing any signage saying no right turn

It shows my vehicle turning right onto the main road and that is it, I have been told that like a parking ticket it MUST show signage indicating what contraventions are in place, and of course my vehicle in the vicinity of such a sign/contravention

I dont really want to take advise from people at the gym and thought this is the best place to ask

i have the video however it shows my registration number and for work reasons i dont want that to be displayed online

i look forward to any advice many thanks in advance
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
Advertisement
post Tue, 30 Oct 2018 - 12:00
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
The Rookie
post Tue, 30 Oct 2018 - 12:02
Post #2

Member No.: 317

This is a decriminalised penalty so I've asked a Mod' to move it into the council and de-crim forum for you.

You'll need a photo or scan of ALL of the PCN please, just personal details redacted and then host on an external site like tinypic or Flikr.

You've been told wrong about signage.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
Earl Purple
post Tue, 30 Oct 2018 - 12:11
Post #3

Member No.: 39,245

There is no Faversham Road in Camden, there is Caversham Road which has a very clear no-right-turn restriction out of it, well signed:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5488079,-...6384!8i8192

Therefore if you did turn right there you are most likely best off paying the discount.

If the PCN says Faversham Road though then you can get away with it on a technicality.

+Quote Post
thevwguy
post Tue, 30 Oct 2018 - 17:20
Post #4

Member No.: 100,668

Hi thanks for the responses

I made a typo it is indeed Caversham road

The issue here was the fact that i truly didn't see the signs, well i dont recall seeing them anyway,

I was cautious about the lack of signage issue in the images or video as i sort of agreed that when a parking ticket is issued it always gets accompanied by an image of the signage showing the contravention, I've never received one without

when you say it is decriminalised what exactly does this mean?

thank you again

+Quote Post
cp8759
post Tue, 30 Oct 2018 - 22:16
Post #5

Member No.: 42,618

QUOTE (thevwguy @ Tue, 30 Oct 2018 - 17:20) *
when you say it is decriminalised what exactly does this mean?

It means it's a civil penalty issued by the council, rather than a criminal matter dealt with by the police.

Post a copy of the PCN and the council video, also give us a link to the location on Google Street View.

--------------------
If you would like assistance with a penalty charge notice, please post a thread on https://www.ftla.uk/index.php

+Quote Post
Earl Purple
post Wed, 31 Oct 2018 - 10:27
Post #6

Member No.: 39,245

I gave a link to google street view in my last post and there are 2 very clear signs at the end of Caversham Road, which is one way on its exit. There is a yard directly ahead, and you can see some vehicles parked in it, albeit it is gated. Thus if you are intending to go there and reach Kentish Town Road via Caversham Road, you are permitted to go "ahead" into it (and maybe some of them do take that route). That is why the signs are "no right turn" rather than "turn left".

It will be very difficult to win on appeal, so it is advisable to pay the discount, in my opinion.

For the user's information, this is called a "moving traffic offence", in this case not obeying a road sign. You are taught road signs and they form part of the theory when you take your driving test, and are expected to know what they mean, and also look out for them, but they do have to be clear and visible. In this case they are.

If you don't obey them, it used to be managed by police with a fixed penalty and possibly points on your licence. Now they are usually handled by councils the same way as parking offences. Some of them are "cash cows" where the signage is unclear and catches lots of people out. I can't however fault Camden here - whatever the rationale for their restriction (probably the obstruction of vehicles hanging out joining the traffic queue) it does seem to be well signposted.

SatNavs are not always programmed with all the restrictions and may direct you in a way that is not permitted. You are expected to still follow the signs and not what the SatNav tells you to do.

This post has been edited by Earl Purple: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 - 10:33

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 17:57
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here