PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Retain cherished number on a car that was stolen
roythebus
post Fri, 13 Sep 2019 - 20:23
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,683

Having just read a similar thread , I used to own a 1948 Rover 75. It was written off in an accident in about 1990 and the registration transferred to my Vauxhall Midi van.

That was taken off the road in about 2002 and due to an engine fault was later stolen from storage at a yard in Kent. It was reported as stolen at the time.

Would it be possible to retain the cherished number after all this time as it seems the rules have changed a bit since then. Obviously I can't show the vehicle as it's probably tins of baked beans by now. It cam e off the road before SORN came into force.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
Advertisement
post Fri, 13 Sep 2019 - 20:23
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Redivi
post Sat, 14 Sep 2019 - 09:07
Post #2

Member No.: 96,238

Does a vehicle check on the DVLA database still show the number as existing on the van ?

+Quote Post
roythebus
post Thu, 19 Sep 2019 - 06:24
Post #3

I don't know, I haven't checked! But will do so in a minute. smile.gif

It says untaxed, due December 2004, so still on the system. smile.gif MOT status unknown, not insured. Not SORN as it was pre-SORN requirement.

This post has been edited by roythebus: Thu, 19 Sep 2019 - 06:25

+Quote Post
Chijiki
post Thu, 19 Sep 2019 - 13:00
Post #4

Member No.: 77,546

QUOTE (roythebus)
. . . . . . . . . .
Would it be possible to retain the cherished number after all this time . . . . . . . . . .

Try contacting the DVLA who should be able to answer your question.

Phone: 0300 123 0883

Online: https://www.gov.uk/contact-the-dvla/y

+Quote Post
peodude
post Thu, 19 Sep 2019 - 14:24
Post #5

Member No.: 7,035

QUOTE (roythebus @ Thu, 19 Sep 2019 - 07:24) *
I don't know, I haven't checked! But will do so in a minute. smile.gif

It says untaxed, due December 2004, so still on the system. smile.gif MOT status unknown, not insured. Not SORN as it was pre-SORN requirement.

SORN was required in 2004. Came into force 1998.

+Quote Post
roythebus
post Thu, 19 Sep 2019 - 18:38
Post #6

SORN was not required for vehicles off the road before the end of 2004. I've had 2 others that were off the road and stored since the early 1990s and niether were SORN and there was no request for them to be SORN from the DVLA.

I tried to change the address of the RK on one of them recently and was told that couldn't be done unless I wanted to tax it. That won't be possible as it's nowhere near complete yet as a restoration project, the other was given a Certificate of Initial Fitness to use as a bus in 2016 after being off the road since 1989. Again there was no SORN requirement.

+Quote Post
localdriver
post Thu, 19 Sep 2019 - 21:37
Post #7

Member No.: 22,300

The relevant date for the SORN exemption is 31st January 1998. s.4, The Road Vehicles (Statutory Off-Road Notification) Regulations 1997.

This post has been edited by localdriver: Thu, 19 Sep 2019 - 21:37

+Quote Post
roythebus
post Thu, 19 Sep 2019 - 22:54
Post #8

OK thanks.

I'll give DVLA a call and see what they say. Odd they never sent a reminder about sorn or road tax being due!

+Quote Post
peodude
post Fri, 20 Sep 2019 - 08:23
Post #9

Member No.: 7,035

QUOTE (roythebus @ Thu, 19 Sep 2019 - 19:38) *
SORN was not required for vehicles off the road before the end of 2004. I've had 2 others that were off the road and stored since the early 1990s and niether were SORN and there was no request for them to be SORN from the DVLA.

Statutory Off Road Notification was introduced on 31 January 1998 and applies to vehicles licensed on or after that date. When a vehicle is not taxed or insured, is to be broken down for parts before being scrapped or has been purchased and the new owner wishes to keep it off the road (a SORN cannot be transferred) the owner must notify DVLA that the vehicle is off-road by making a SORN declaration. A new keeper of an unlicensed vehicle must either license or make a SORN declaration. The SORN scheme removes the "do nothing" option.

To enhance this scheme, a new system of continuous registration was introduced on 1 January 2004. The principle measure is to discourage the late licensing of vehicles by automatically issuing keepers of unlicensed vehicles with enforcement letters where no SORN declarations have been made. Under this system the registered keeper remains financially responsible for the vehicle until DVLA has been notified that it is off the road or has been sold, transferred, scrapped or exported. Since its introduction, DVLA has received an increase in the number of both licensing applications and SORN declarations, improving the accuracy of the vehicle register.

https://www.nationalnumbers.co.uk/dvla-guid...ion-sorn-16.htm

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 12:35
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here