PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

West Mercia NIP question
AndyGr
post Wed, 18 Sep 2019 - 17:10
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 40,805

I have received a NIP from West Mercia Police for 71mph on the M5 (J5 to J6) at a time when the variable speed limit was 60mph. I don't recall there being a 60 sign at any time on my journey, which was only 2 days ago, but I'm willing to accept that there was.

However, I have a query about the information in the NIP. At several points it advises that more information can be found on their website, www.westmercia.police.uk/roadsafety. This web page does not exist (see screen print attached), and a search of the West Mercia Police site for road safety doesn't find anything that might be the relevant page. Does this in any way invalidate the NIP, given that itappears to be impossible to find additional information? And if so how should I proceed?

Many thanks.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  WestMercia.pdf ( 180.92K ) Number of downloads: 77

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
Advertisement
post Wed, 18 Sep 2019 - 17:10
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
The Rookie
post Wed, 18 Sep 2019 - 17:12
Post #2

Member No.: 317

You can’t invalidate a Notice, it’s already done it’s job.

And no, if most certainly doesn’t provide a defence either as the Police don’t have to disclose any of this to you.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
post Wed, 18 Sep 2019 - 17:15
Post #3

Member No.: 47,602

QUOTE (AndyGr @ Wed, 18 Sep 2019 - 18:10) *
I have received a NIP from West Mercia Police for 71mph on the M5 (J5 to J6) at a time when the variable speed limit was 60mph. I don't recall there being a 60 sign at any time on my journey, which was only 2 days ago, but I'm willing to accept that there was.

However, I have a query about the information in the NIP. At several points it advises that more information can be found on their website, www.westmercia.police.uk/roadsafety. This web page does not exist (see screen print attached), and a search of the West Mercia Police site for road safety doesn't find anything that might be the relevant page. Does this in any way invalidate the NIP, given that itappears to be impossible to find additional information? And if so how should I proceed?

Many thanks.

It doesn't invalidate the NIP.

Waht additional info do you want? They will usually provide photo(s) if requested "to help identify the driver" - do NOT ask for evidence. You can phone or write.

+Quote Post
AndyGr
post Wed, 18 Sep 2019 - 17:20
Post #4

QUOTE (666 @ Wed, 18 Sep 2019 - 18:15) *
QUOTE (AndyGr @ Wed, 18 Sep 2019 - 18:10) *

Many thanks.

It doesn't invalidate the NIP.

Waht additional info do you want? They will usually provide photo(s) if requested "to help identify the driver" - do NOT ask for evidence. You can phone or write.

It's not that I necessarily want anything - although one of the things that they say the website provides is the camer's calibration certificate - more a question of having stated that information is available at a web address they surely have a duty to ensure that address is correct?

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Wed, 18 Sep 2019 - 17:46
Post #5

Member No.: 18,483

QUOTE (AndyGr @ Wed, 18 Sep 2019 - 18:20) *
having stated that information is available at a web address they surely have a duty to ensure that address is correct?

I don’t think they do.

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Wed, 18 Sep 2019 - 17:50
Post #6

Member No.: 317

Moral duty maybe, legal one, no.

A calibration certificate isn’t needed for the device for you to be successfully prosecuted, that’s a pub myth.

This post has been edited by The Rookie: Wed, 18 Sep 2019 - 17:50

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 10-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
morrisman
post Wed, 18 Sep 2019 - 17:58
Post #7

Member No.: 14,668

A little bit of light googling turns this up

https://www.westmercia.police.uk/advice/adv...ra-information/

+Quote Post
AndyGr
post Wed, 18 Sep 2019 - 19:59
Post #8

QUOTE (morrisman @ Wed, 18 Sep 2019 - 18:58) *
A little bit of light googling turns this up

https://www.westmercia.police.uk/advice/adv...ra-information/

Thanks for that, should I need it that'll be helpful, but my impression is that the URL they include in the NIP would have had information that's not just limited to cameras - I just gave that as one example that the NIP mentions. If they can't even get their own website right then how can anyone know whether anything else that they've said is correct?

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Wed, 18 Sep 2019 - 20:06
Post #9

Member No.: 49,223

QUOTE (AndyGr @ Wed, 18 Sep 2019 - 20:59) *
If they can't even get their own website right then how can anyone know whether anything else that they've said is correct?

And the camera wasn't working correctly?

I believe they are HADECS3 so have an auxiliary camera shot of the displayed limit.

A more extreme example of an 'incorrect' website was one where they had listed the limit as 40mph - where onsite it is was lowered to 30mph and they didn't update the website. It made no difference either. (The website doesn't convey the limit)

This post has been edited by Jlc: Wed, 18 Sep 2019 - 20:06

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
Sparxy
post Wed, 18 Sep 2019 - 21:12
Post #10

Member No.: 34,394

QUOTE (Jlc @ Wed, 18 Sep 2019 - 21:06) *
I believe they are HADECS3 so have an auxiliary camera shot of the displayed limit.

Is it worth anything asking for any pictures to identify car/driver? Maybe they'll send the pictures including one of the sign (thought process for other users, not OP)

Highways England will hold data as to what was requested displayed on the road signs/ any faults or problems with them - they may just send this data if requested through a contact form or email, or you may have to FoI them. Give them a section of motorway and approximate time (or a singular gantry/sign) and they will be able to give you this data. Doing this does not delay any timeframe you have on the NIP so do not get sidetracked.

This post has been edited by Sparxy: Wed, 18 Sep 2019 - 21:24

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Tuesday, 22nd October 2019 - 15:05
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.