PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice Support health workers

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

I've reversed into pole set up in calming area (1 foot into road) - is this pole/sign legal?
stayanon
post Sat, 17 Feb 2018 - 05:10
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 84,013

Hi
I'm a little frustrated to say the least....I've just made a drop off in a street in Newcastle upon Tyne (1.00am) - I noticed when I entered the side road that it was 2 way traffic but had calming area at the entrance/exit for one vehicle only to pass.
It had 2 huge black and white "Sharp Deviation" or "Chevron" road signs on two black poles around 15 feet from the junction. I am pretty sure as this road is a normal road with no tight deviations that the wrong sign has been installed. I would assume when a chevron sign has been used it is informing motorists of dangers to tight bends (?)
I was unfortunately distracted and forgot the road tethered into a calming area with exit for one vehicle. I've gone to reverse - checked mirrors etc and haven't noticed the black pole (which is a foot into the road) as the street has extremely poor lighting (it was 1am and the road is nearly in darkness). I've caused major damage to the side of my car with damage done to the side bumper and rear quarter panel before it gets to the wheel arch.
I am annoyed with myself but I'm equally annoyed that I can't understand the mentality of why the council has placed a Sharp Deviation sign on 2 black poles with each pole causing an obstruction on the path (for wheelchairs) and the road. It's baffling and I've genuinely can't remember seeing another road with this type of signage.
I would like to assume the correct sign which should have been placed is the road would be the mounted yellow plastic signage (yellow and white plastic bollards with a blue arrows).
There is also no coloured road surface to inform drivers its a calming area.

I would like to know if I have a case to take legal action against the council for damage done to my vehicle. I've used Pepipoo a few times and members have been very helpful and honest in the past.
I've obviously made the error by not checking everywhere before moving but feel I have not been helped by the poor decisions of the Council.

I have attached the files but will try to also add the photos to this thread too.

Thank you in advance for any help
C

Just to add - that I parked the vehicle on the right hand side of the road. From that position, I then reversed.

This post has been edited by stayanon: Sat, 17 Feb 2018 - 05:11
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Start new topic
Replies (20 - 22)
Advertisement
post Sat, 17 Feb 2018 - 05:10
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
glasgow_bhoy
post Sun, 18 Feb 2018 - 11:09
Post #21

Member No.: 22,424

To be fair, I noticed a few strange things in Newcastle a few weeks back.

We were sat having dinner and drinks across the road from here and saw this lane. At least three cars turned as if they were going to drive down it- I'm guessing the bollards have been hit a couple of times.

https://goo.gl/maps/nqgikxxi3jx

Off topic, but after dinner we had an altercation with a taxi driver who decided an address (only a mile from the city centre) wasn't in his sat-nav and therefore we must be giving him the wrong address. It ended with us out the taxi over half a mile from where we were going. Wrong turns, aggressive driving, a motor which had trim coming loose as he powered through potholes and an attitude which didn't bode well with us- I'm glad I've got the patience of a saint- he asked me if I had a problem several times and even when I told him my problem he just asked again! Cost us £3 more than a taxi the night before which did the journey no problem too...

+Quote Post
post Sun, 18 Feb 2018 - 22:44
Post #22

Member No.: 95,634

rubbish pole placement, I would sue.

+Quote Post
Fredd
post Mon, 19 Feb 2018 - 08:21
Post #23

Webmaster
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (4101 @ Sun, 18 Feb 2018 - 22:44) *
rubbish pole placement, I would sue.

sign10.gif

--------------------
Regards,
Fredd

Visa, Mastercard, debit card or PayPal account

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 23:21
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here