Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Canera signage - What it means and the requirements
AdrianinLondon
post Fri, 23 Feb 2024 - 15:45
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 122,456

Hi All

My question is regarding a speeding ticket I received a few weeks ago. Firstly, I *was* speeding. I was going 61mph in a 50mph zone. I am not contesting the offence as such. I have been offered the speed awareness course and I will accept it. Unless I can find a loophole!!! My issue has to do with signage.

There have been many occasions when I have driven past a speed camera sign without a camera in sight. Not one for a good couple of miles. I've always questioned why these signs are posted when there is not a fixed camera anywhere.

I was told they were there because of the speed camera vans and police with radar guns. I have no idea of the validity of this.

I was caught by a policeman with a radar gun. There were 3 policemen on a bridge. One was using the radar gun and the other two were taking details of the speeding cars. I know this because I turned around a mile later, went back and then walked across the bridge that they were standing on.

I was under the impression that there had to be a sign posted before where the police were doing their speed checks. Is this true?

Also, the police were using a radar gun that does not take any pictures, it just clocks my speed. I assume that this piece of machinery is suitable as long as it has been calibrated etc.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
Advertisement
post Fri, 23 Feb 2024 - 15:45
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Jlc
post Fri, 23 Feb 2024 - 16:05
Post #2

Member No.: 49,223

QUOTE (AdrianinLondon @ Fri, 23 Feb 2024 - 15:45) *
I was under the impression that there had to be a sign posted before where the police were doing their speed checks. Is this true?

No. The speed limit signs are all that are needed.

Also, the police were using a radar gun that does not take any pictures, it just clocks my speed.

I would expect it's laser and not RADAR.

I assume that this piece of machinery is suitable as long as it has been calibrated etc.

Yes.

This post has been edited by Jlc: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 - 16:05

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
thisisntme
post Fri, 23 Feb 2024 - 16:27
Post #3

Member No.: 70,566

But note that even if the device hasn't been calibrated for a while there is no automatic defence. You have to actually refute the validity of the device by demonstrating that it wasn't working properly or being used improperly. An expensive option when it goes wrong.

--------------------
I reserve the right to be wrong.

+Quote Post
AdrianinLondon
post Fri, 23 Feb 2024 - 18:51
Post #4

Member No.: 122,456

It's not an issue, as I'm going to accept the penalty and do the course. I just thought there was a responsibility to make drivers aware that there were speed cameras in the area.

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Fri, 23 Feb 2024 - 18:54
Post #5

Member No.: 18,483

The usual line trotted out is “would you expect the police to let burglars know they’re in the area?” Trite but it demonstrates the point.

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
andy_foster
post Fri, 23 Feb 2024 - 19:13
Post #6

Group Icon

Group: Life Member
Member No.: 1,624

Difference being that Tony Blair never publicly promised burglars that the means of catching them would need to be conspicuous.
There is a reason why posters keep asking the same "stupid question" - because they have a vague recollection of a war criminal earnestly telling them that that was the case.

For the sake of completeness, one of the rules for hypothecation (when the safety camera partnerships got to assess and deduct their operating expenses from fixed penalties before passing the surplus (if any) to the treasury), was that 85% of camera sites had to meet the conspicuity requirements. If they failed to do so, the remedy was that they could report themselves to themselves and then decide whether or not they still ought to keep the money. It never had any bearing on the admissibility of the evidence, or whether the safety camera partnerships got to keep the money.

Obviously, Tony Blair was far more keen to publicise the bits that weren't actually true, than admit to the bits that were. Much like the WMDs, and him not being responsible for Dr Kelly's completely plausible suicide.

--------------------
Andy

Some people think that I make them feel stupid. To be fair, they deserve most of the credit.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Saturday, 13th April 2024 - 03:03
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here