Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Excel parking notice on a hire car, What to do as I live overseas
Australianpom
post Sun, 28 Jun 2020 - 06:36
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 108,989

Help please
I was driving a hire car in 2019 & I parked in (what I didn’t know was an excel car park)
I put the ticket in the window of the car & off I went.

The hire car company passed on my details & I appealed the first notice that I got in March 2020 as I wasn’t going to pay £100 for a £3 parking ticket, they offered me a discount of £60 if I paid within a time frame. As covid hit they didn’t get back to me for those reasons maybe.

Now I have been issued a final notice that they are going to progress to county court judgement/legal proceedings.
I live in a different country so I’m not sure how that will progress.
The date of the final notice letter is 14 May & it offered me 30days to pay (which has now jumped to £185) & it just arrive today 27 June so it’s not like I could even pay the amount on time as it arrived beyond the due date.

Any help would be great on how to deal with these guys?
I’ve read a lot about them on the internet about being scammers.

This post has been edited by Australianpom: Sun, 28 Jun 2020 - 06:52
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 13)
Advertisement
post Sun, 28 Jun 2020 - 06:36
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
The Slithy Tove
post Sun, 28 Jun 2020 - 06:43
Post #2

Member No.: 52,178

Is Excel writing to you at an overseas (non-UK) address?

As you are not in the jurisdiction of any of the court systems of the UK, you can safely ignore them. They can't do anything beyond writing to you.

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Sun, 28 Jun 2020 - 07:27
Post #3

Member No.: 49,223

QUOTE (Australianpom @ Sun, 28 Jun 2020 - 07:36) *

'Scammers' that are on an Approved Operator Scheme that regularly take motorists to court and win (quite often default) judgments.

Does your user name give a clue to which?

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
Australianpom
post Sun, 28 Jun 2020 - 07:47
Post #4

QUOTE (The Slithy Tove @ Sun, 28 Jun 2020 - 16:43) *
Is Excel writing to you at an overseas (non-UK) address?

As you are not in the jurisdiction of any of the court systems of the UK, you can safely ignore them. They can't do anything beyond writing to you.

Yes they write to me at a none UK address - I no longer have a UK address or license.

QUOTE (Jlc @ Sun, 28 Jun 2020 - 17:27) *

'Scammers' that are on an Approved Operator Scheme that regularly take motorists to court and win (quite often default) judgments.

I came across a lot of sites that say they run both the car parks & the debt collecting agency & often use scare tactics to get people to pay over the odds payments for minimal cost parking tickets.
I would happily pay a £10/£15 payment to help them on their merry way but most certainly not the amount they are requesting.

Does your user name give a clue to which?

I am located somewhere in the world but not Australia.

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Sun, 28 Jun 2020 - 08:02
Post #5

Member No.: 49,223

QUOTE (Australianpom @ Sun, 28 Jun 2020 - 08:47) *
Yes they write to me at a none UK address - I no longer have a UK address or license.

Then it would seem you are out of jurisdiction.

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information, SAR=Subject Access Request

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
Australianpom
post Sun, 28 Jun 2020 - 08:12
Post #6

QUOTE (Jlc @ Sun, 28 Jun 2020 - 18:02) *
QUOTE (Australianpom @ Sun, 28 Jun 2020 - 08:47) *

Then it would seem you are out of jurisdiction.

Thanks for that information. I got about 4/5 pages in to this forum & couldn’t find anything about parking notices for people that don’t reside in the UK.

Hopefully this will help others.

+Quote Post
Umkomaas
post Sun, 28 Jun 2020 - 09:40
Post #7

Member No.: 59,842

They are either desperate to make up Covid-19 cash losses or the envelope licker wore the dunce cap in their primary school geography lessons!

+Quote Post
Australianpom
post Sun, 28 Jun 2020 - 10:24
Post #8

QUOTE (Umkomaas @ Sun, 28 Jun 2020 - 19:40) *

They are either desperate to make up Covid-19 cash losses or the envelope licker wore the dunce cap in their primary school geography lessons!

The address is a little incorrect but blind Freddy would see it’s a different country.
I have also never heard in all my years of driving that you can get a discount on a parking fines or notices if you pay by x date.

Appreciate your comical response.
Thanks

+Quote Post
ostell
post Sun, 28 Jun 2020 - 10:42
Post #9

Member No.: 60,457

These are not fines, They are invoices for payments that were agreed if the driver breached the conditions on the sign

So if you do get a UK court claim form, though the court should reject it automatically, then just return with "out of Jurisdiction"

+Quote Post
BillG
post Sun, 28 Jun 2020 - 11:58
Post #10

Member No.: 47,328

A few years ago my daughter was home from abroad where she works. She got a demand from Parking Eye because their machine wouldn't accept her phone payment. We sent PE her foreign address and nothing more was heard from them.

PS it was a hire car too.

This post has been edited by BillG: Sun, 28 Jun 2020 - 11:59

+Quote Post
Australianpom
post Sun, 28 Jun 2020 - 23:11
Post #11

QUOTE (ostell @ Sun, 28 Jun 2020 - 20:42) *
These are not fines, They are invoices for payments that were agreed if the driver breached the conditions on the sign

So if you do get a UK court claim form, though the court should reject it automatically, then just return with "out of Jurisdiction"

Thank you for your response. I will wait for the court proceedings to land in the mail. Probably in 3+months time as that is how long it seems for correspondence to reach me, so if anything I will miss the court date (if there happens to be one)
QUOTE (BillG @ Sun, 28 Jun 2020 - 21:58) *
A few years ago my daughter was home from abroad where she works. She got a demand from Parking Eye because their machine wouldn't accept her phone payment. We sent PE her foreign address and nothing more was heard from them.

PS it was a hire car too.

Thank you for your response & sharing that your daughter had a similar experience.

I am not engaging in any form of contact with excel since they never actually responded to my appeal.
I don’t want to give them my correct address.

This post has been edited by Australianpom: Sun, 28 Jun 2020 - 23:15

+Quote Post
Umkomaas
post Mon, 29 Jun 2020 - 09:20
Post #12

Member No.: 59,842

To which address are they currently writing? A UK one?

+Quote Post
nosferatu1001
post Mon, 29 Jun 2020 - 09:42
Post #13

Member No.: 15,642

Give them a valid overseas address. WHy wouldnt you do that? They arent going to spend the thousands to get permission to serve a claim outside of jurisdiction.

+Quote Post
Australianpom
post Mon, 29 Jun 2020 - 22:12
Post #14

QUOTE (Umkomaas @ Mon, 29 Jun 2020 - 19:20) *

To which address are they currently writing? A UK one?

I do not have a UK address as I don’t live there.

QUOTE (nosferatu1001 @ Mon, 29 Jun 2020 - 19:42) *
Give them a valid overseas address. WHy wouldnt you do that? They arent going to spend the thousands to get permission to serve a claim outside of jurisdiction.

They have my address to some extent. The street & apartment number are the wrong way around.
The hire car company provided them with it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 28th March 2024 - 11:38
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here