Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Parking at Ship Inn Horncastle
billoddy
post Thu, 9 Aug 2018 - 12:43
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 99,319

Hello
I as registered keeper have been issued with a parking charge notice from Smart parking. This was a complete surprise as the ticket was for 1 hour and the driver left after 16 minutes. They claim on the notice that "by either not purchasing the appropriate parking time
or by remaining at the car park longer than permitted" the charge is now payable. In a fit of pique (and incorrectly) I went online and used their system to say that "I contest the charge as a ticket was purchased for the time spent in the car park" At no point did I mention
Who bought it. I can only assume that the entered registration number was incorrect? What should be my next step? Please keep any advice really simple! I've checked out the money saving expert website, are his templates any good? I'd really appreciate some sound advice.
Thank you

This post has been edited by billoddy: Thu, 9 Aug 2018 - 13:03
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Advertisement
post Thu, 9 Aug 2018 - 12:43
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
Jlc
post Thu, 9 Aug 2018 - 12:54
Post #2

Member No.: 49,223

Did that appeal reveal the driver?

Smart are the easiest company to beat as long as you don't reveal (implicitly or explicitly) the driver.

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
ostell
post Thu, 9 Aug 2018 - 12:56
Post #3

Member No.: 60,457

So as a little bit of reading would have told you edit your post so that the identity of the driver cannot be inferred. Use "the driver....." etc

The keeper (you) received the PCN

Post up the PCN so people can see it, with identifying details redacted. Leave dates.

Have you had a response to your "Appeal"?

+Quote Post
billoddy
post Thu, 9 Aug 2018 - 12:56
Post #4

I haven't revealed any details and I'm still waiting to hear back from them after my initial response to them. Just don't know what to do next when they do get around to replying.

+Quote Post
ostell
post Thu, 9 Aug 2018 - 12:59
Post #5

Member No.: 60,457

They should give you a POPLA code and then you appeal to POPLA. What do do next is post up the PCN so people can look at it. Did it comply with POFA is the first question.

Let's see what you put in your appeal.

This post has been edited by ostell: Thu, 9 Aug 2018 - 13:00

+Quote Post
kommando
post Thu, 9 Aug 2018 - 12:59
Post #6

Member No.: 57,558

1. Edit post 1 referring only to the driver as 'The Driver'

2. 99% of appeals by PPC's are rejected but rejection from Smart will come with a POPLA code.

3. Smart always lose at POPLA if you use the right words so search for 'Smart POPLA' on the board.

+Quote Post
billoddy
post Thu, 9 Aug 2018 - 13:12
Post #7

Hopefully this should be legible. I might also add that I no longer have the car or the ticket issued so can't check any details so feel like they have me over a barrel.

PCN issued
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Jlc
post Thu, 9 Aug 2018 - 13:31
Post #8

Member No.: 49,223

QUOTE (billoddy @ Thu, 9 Aug 2018 - 14:12) *
...so feel like they have me over a barrel.

Seriously? This is Smart...

--------------------
RK=Registered Keeper, OP=Original Poster (You!), CoFP=Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty, NtK=Notice to Keeper, NtD=Notice to Driver
PoFA=Protection of Freedoms Act, SAC=Safety Awareness Course, NIP=Notice of Intended Prosecution, ADR=Alternative Dispute Resolution
PPC=Private Parking Company, LBCCC=Letter Before County Court Claim, PII=Personally Identifiable Information

Private Parking - remember, they just want your money and will say almost anything to get it.

+Quote Post
billoddy
post Thu, 9 Aug 2018 - 13:34
Post #9

Sorry but this is the first time on here so know nothing about them but learning fast from some of the replies.

+Quote Post
ManxRed
post Thu, 9 Aug 2018 - 13:34
Post #10

Member No.: 21,992

Put Smart in the search box and have a read.

Have you contacted the Ship Inn yet and asked if they can cancel it?

--------------------
Sometimes I use big words I don't understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.

+Quote Post
billoddy
post Thu, 9 Aug 2018 - 13:40
Post #11

Yes I've been there today but they are new owners (last 2 weeks) and have no authority over the parking or any codes/contacts with Smart Parking. Apparently it's the parent company (Brewery) who have control over it.

+Quote Post
ManxRed
post Thu, 9 Aug 2018 - 14:05
Post #12

Contact the brewery then.

You won't be paying this (no one pays Smart), but actually getting it cancelled is a far better outcome. This would be the easiest way to do it.

--------------------
Sometimes I use big words I don't understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.

+Quote Post
billoddy
post Thu, 9 Aug 2018 - 14:45
Post #13

Not sure who the brewery is (the owners were not forthcoming) Google suggest Marstons but that was a while ago.

+Quote Post
ManxRed
post Thu, 9 Aug 2018 - 15:35
Post #14

It says Marston's on the sign outside, according to some Google pics, but I have a feeling the new owners were bullshitting you.

--------------------

+Quote Post
cabbyman
post Thu, 9 Aug 2018 - 18:51
Post #15

Member No.: 16,066

They are successors in title therefore they have inherited the contract if Smart are still operating there. You could let them know that in the event you have to take action for misuse of data, you will join them into the court proceedings. That may focus their minds a little!

--------------------
Cabbyman 10 PPCs 0

+Quote Post
billoddy
post Mon, 3 Sep 2018 - 07:42
Post #16

I still haven't received anything from smartparking despite filing my objection at the start of August. Is this normal to take this long to get a rejection and Popla details?

+Quote Post
nosferatu1001
post Mon, 3 Sep 2018 - 08:09
Post #17

Member No.: 15,642

They have 35 days to accept or reject. If htey dont, it is considered accpeted and the chagre cancelled
Checked junk mail?

+Quote Post
Redivi
post Mon, 3 Sep 2018 - 08:10
Post #18

Member No.: 96,238

Smart's Code of Practice says that they have 35 days to reject an appeal but must acknowledge it within 14 days
Shame that it was changed from the original version that clearly said that the appeal was deemed accepted after this time

A "Thank You" on the website would meet that requirement

Don't contact them and move your case to the top of the pile

This post has been edited by Redivi: Mon, 3 Sep 2018 - 08:12

+Quote Post
billoddy
post Mon, 10 Sep 2018 - 09:20
Post #19

Ok so finally they respond to my appeal and tell me it's been rejected, so I guess the next step is POPLA? Can you blokes help out with exactly what I need to write for my appeal?

This post has been edited by billoddy: Mon, 10 Sep 2018 - 09:39
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
cabbyman
post Mon, 10 Sep 2018 - 09:24
Post #20

Member No.: 16,066

Take those pics down....NOW. You have left far too much identifying detail in there. Repost after redacting.

When did you receive the letter? It's dated, and the POPLA code was generated, on 3/9/18. Did they post it on the day it was written? Code expires 1/10/18.

This post has been edited by cabbyman: Mon, 10 Sep 2018 - 09:28

--------------------
Cabbyman 10 PPCs 0

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Monday, 19th November 2018 - 12:32
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.