Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

"wanton or furious driving",
freddy1
post Thu, 17 Aug 2017 - 18:06
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,897

nice to see laws dating back to 1861 being used

guy on a "racing" push bike mows a woman down , bike has not or never was fitted with a front brake , , in court "He told the court he had had no idea there was a legal requirement for his bike to have a front brake."

sigh ,

The court heard that Brunelle is a stunt cyclist who makes videos in which he rides around cities including London "doing dangerous stuff" such as weaving in and out of traffic.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40960346
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Advertisement
post Thu, 17 Aug 2017 - 18:06
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
southpaw82
post Thu, 17 Aug 2017 - 18:16
Post #2

Member No.: 18,483

It's a useful one to use if you've forgotten not been able to serve an NIP.

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
Fredd
post Thu, 17 Aug 2017 - 19:51
Post #3

Webmaster
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (freddy1 @ Thu, 17 Aug 2017 - 19:06) *
The court heard that Brunelle is a stunt cyclist who makes videos in which he rides around cities including London "doing dangerous stuff" such as weaving in and out of traffic.

Not that Brunelle is the defendant.

--------------------
Regards,
Fredd

Visa, Mastercard, debit card or PayPal account

+Quote Post
freddy1
post Thu, 17 Aug 2017 - 20:00
Post #4

Member No.: 9,897

QUOTE (Fredd @ Thu, 17 Aug 2017 - 20:51) *
QUOTE (freddy1 @ Thu, 17 Aug 2017 - 19:06) *

Not that Brunelle is the defendant.

correct "Jurors were told that Mr Alliston talked of removing his front brake from a previous bike in a tweet in February 2015, comparing the experience of riding it to being in a "Lucas Brunelle movie".
But Mr Alliston denied copying the filmmaker, or that he enjoyed taking risks."

facebook can come back and haunt people

+Quote Post
buttonpusher
post Fri, 18 Aug 2017 - 18:33
Post #5

Member No.: 11,066

Would the police have even charged him had his bike been road legal.

+Quote Post
Fredd
post Fri, 18 Aug 2017 - 19:04
Post #6

Webmaster
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (freddy1 @ Thu, 17 Aug 2017 - 21:00) *
Jurors were told that Mr Alliston talked of removing his front brake from a previous bike in a tweet in February 2015,

I'm not sure how significant the lack of a brake was, given that this was apparently a fixed wheel bike (ie one with no freewheeling). IME bikes have completely naff brakes, and I would have thought that applying resistance through the pedals might well be more effective. Not my area of expertise, but I would be interested to hear something more informed than the journalistic knee-jerk "NO BRAKES!!!!" opinion.

--------------------
Regards,
Fredd

Visa, Mastercard, debit card or PayPal account

+Quote Post
southpaw82
post Fri, 18 Aug 2017 - 19:21
Post #7

Member No.: 18,483

QUOTE (buttonpusher @ Fri, 18 Aug 2017 - 19:33) *
Would the police have even charged him had his bike been road legal.

Probably not with manslaughter, no.

--------------------

Any comments made do not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon. No lawyer/client relationship should be assumed nor should any duty of care be owed.

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Fri, 18 Aug 2017 - 20:05
Post #8

Member No.: 38,559

QUOTE (Fredd @ Fri, 18 Aug 2017 - 20:04) *
Jurors were told that Mr Alliston talked of removing his front brake from a previous bike in a tweet in February 2015,

I'm not sure how significant the lack of a brake was, given that this was apparently a fixed wheel bike (ie one with no freewheeling). IME bikes have completely naff brakes, and I would have thought that applying resistance through the pedals might well be more effective. Not my area of expertise, but I would be interested to hear something more informed than the journalistic knee-jerk "NO BRAKES!!!!" opinion.

Though not a cyclist as such, I'd disagree with bikes having naff brakes.... even the old caliper brakes could pull you up pretty quick and some models now have disc brakes which should be more efficient.

More telling to me is the reports of him doing 20mph and screaming "get out of the F***ing way" before he hit her.
Which falls into line with the wanton and furious charge.
And to me at least, speaks of the stereotypical "lycra clad, I have right of way, cycle borne road warrior"

To be fair, maybe he did make all efforts to ride safely and was simply caught in an impossible situation, made worse by the reduced braking power.

+Quote Post
mickR
post Fri, 18 Aug 2017 - 21:04
Post #9

Member No.: 9,919

Ok so there are different types of "racing" bike. Road race, as in your de France etc have free wheeling gears and... brakes. A track bike as ridden by the likes of sir Chris hoy are fixed wheel and.. no brakes.
Clearly a track bike is not designed for road use and even a fixed wheel road bike would have brakes. Stunt bikes again may not have them but as the name suggests not designed for road use.
Has anyone seen or heard of any cctv/dash cam footage of this idiot rider prior to the accident?

+Quote Post
DancingDad
post Fri, 18 Aug 2017 - 21:32
Post #10

Member No.: 38,559

QUOTE (mickR @ Fri, 18 Aug 2017 - 22:04) *
..........Has anyone seen or heard of any cctv/dash cam footage of this idiot rider prior to the accident?

According to Huffington Post, CCTV was shown in court on Tuesday
Crash investigator Edward Small, who studied CCTV of the collision which was shown in court Tuesday, said that if Alliston had front brakes on his bike, he would have been able to stop before the point of impact. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/cycl...4b090964299cfb5

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Mon, 21 Aug 2017 - 13:08
Post #11

Member No.: 317

Not at all, a front brake will decelerate a bike about 2.2 times faster than just a rear, plus with pedals only it's quite hard to modulate braking without a lock and slide which can cause other control issues, in fact there is a very real chance that given he managed to shout at the deceased twice that with a working front brake he could have avoided the collision all together.

Under emergency braking I rarely use the rear brake at all as the front braking is so close to lifting the rear wheel it does almost nothing at all. I still remember going over the bars on my 1970's Raleigh doing an emergency stop when a pedestrian stepped out on me!

Most the cycling forums are condemning him as a ****** although there are a few morons who claim to be so superior skilled that they can overcome the braking deficit if someone steps off the pavement in front of them. (Physics and logic don't apply when you are as skilled as they are it appears).

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 8-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
Churchmouse
post Mon, 21 Aug 2017 - 17:49
Post #12

Member No.: 20,731

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Mon, 21 Aug 2017 - 14:08) *

Not at all, a front brake will decelerate a bike about 2.2 times faster than just a rear, plus with pedals only it's quite hard to modulate braking without a lock and slide which can cause other control issues, in fact there is a very real chance that given he managed to shout at the deceased twice that with a working front brake he could have avoided the collision all together.

Perhaps he just wanted her to get out of HIS way, and thought shouting at her would do the trick? By the time he realised that she wasn't doing so, maybe no, a front brake wouldn't have made any difference?

The "he could have stopped if he'd had a front brake" claim seems rather flimsy to me. Was there any evidence that he used the rear brake?

--Churchmouse

+Quote Post
samthecat
post Tue, 22 Aug 2017 - 11:15
Post #13

Member No.: 83,881

So either he didn't try to stop when he could have done (expecting the pedestrian to get out of his way) or he tried to stop but was unable to.
I don't think either of those options makes a convincing defence.
Will be interested to see the results of this.

--------------------
If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

+Quote Post
Aretnap
post Wed, 23 Aug 2017 - 15:37
Post #14

Member No.: 40,109

Cleared of manslaughter but convicted of the wanton or furious charge.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41028321

+Quote Post
Tancred
post Wed, 23 Aug 2017 - 18:34
Post #15

Member No.: 24,463

QUOTE (Churchmouse @ Mon, 21 Aug 2017 - 18:49) *
The "he could have stopped if he'd had a front brake" claim seems rather flimsy to me. Was there any evidence that he used the rear brake?

--Churchmouse

The bike had no conventional brakes (rim/disc/drum etc.) fitted at all, the references to the lack of front brake are due to the fixed rear wheel legally counting as a brake but still requiring a front brake. He did claim he had slowed the bike down to 10-14mph however based on the CCTV it was claimed with a front brake he could have slowed down enough not to hit the lady. This is supposedly the bike here:

https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2017/0...=425&crop=1

+Quote Post
glasgow_bhoy
post Wed, 23 Aug 2017 - 20:08
Post #16

Member No.: 22,424

Here's hoping he gets the full 2 years in jail!

+Quote Post
The Rookie
post Wed, 23 Aug 2017 - 21:16
Post #17

Member No.: 317

There will no doubt be some reduction as the victim had stepped out in front of a bike whatever the cyclist also did wrong.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!

S172's
Rookies 1-0 Kent

Council PCN's
Rookies 1-0 Warwick
Rookies 1-0 Birmingham

PPC PCN's
Rookies 8-0 PPC's

+Quote Post
StuartBu
post Wed, 23 Aug 2017 - 21:37
Post #18

Member No.: 59,097

Oops.... edited out due to cockup

This post has been edited by StuartBu: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 - 22:05

+Quote Post
StuartBu
post Wed, 23 Aug 2017 - 22:00
Post #19

Member No.: 59,097

QUOTE (The Rookie @ Wed, 23 Aug 2017 - 22:16) *
There will no doubt be some reduction as the victim had stepped out in front of a bike whatever the cyclist also did wrong.

It was said in tonights News that as well
as stepping out she was using her 'phone but I believe the phone use was disproved from cctv footage.

This post has been edited by StuartBu: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 - 22:02

+Quote Post
ford poplar
post Thu, 24 Aug 2017 - 02:14
Post #20

Member No.: 24,962

The bike shown did not have nec roadworthy requirements eg lights. mudguards.
No speedo (not req'd), but how can he claim to have hit pedestrian at around 18mph.
Alliston was reported to be a bicycle courier and I accept pedestrian may have been partly resp for accident. Have a pub car park brawl & kill your opponent with an unlucky single punch, manslaughter = ~4yrs in jail.
IMO Alliston deserves a Custodial, if only for his abusive post accident Twitter comments.
I do not doubt Alliston outcome will send a 'message' to other cyclists.

This post has been edited by ford poplar: Thu, 24 Aug 2017 - 02:17

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thursday, 22nd February 2018 - 10:56
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.