PePiPoo Helping the motorist get justice

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Lane Discipline, About time something was done
Broadsman
post Sun, 1 Oct 2017 - 15:17
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 57,735

Driving home today, I spent about 150 miles on the motorway network.

Apart from one driver who insisted on doing 48mph in lane 3, of 4, and was oblivious to everything around him, most others were travelling around the 65mph mark, regardless of the lane they were in. Lane discipline was appalling by the majority of those on the road, me included as I used the left lanes to pass traffic travelling slower than I was. As they were travelling slower and I wasn't breaking the speed limit, was I wrong? Highway code says you can pass on the left if the lane to the right is travelling slower.

Undertaking is illegal but should it be?

Except around junctions, I can see no reason why passing on the left should not be made legal.

Along with the MLOC, you get those that will sit in the right hand lane and refuse to move, there could be a mile to the next object on the inner lanes but they won't move and they will continue to drive at a speed below the limit, refusing those that want to drive faster the opportunity to pass.

A couple of weeks ago I followed 3 cars for 28 miles, they sat in the right lane on the dual carriageway at 66mph. Long gaps appeared in the left lane so I went up the inside and passed two of them, the third though, not a chance. Each time I tried, he increased speed and as soon as I backed off he would, but then slow down more.

I know I'm wrong for wanting to get to places and not break the speed limit in doing so. I know I'm wrong for passing others on the left but what other options are left, except sitting behind something that refuses to move to the left or speed up?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Start new topic
Replies (40 - 49)
Advertisement
post Sun, 1 Oct 2017 - 15:17
Post #

Advertise here!

Quote Post
fedup2
post Fri, 20 Oct 2017 - 17:40
Post #41

Member No.: 10,873

QUOTE (oldstoat @ Fri, 20 Oct 2017 - 18:18) *
QUOTE (fedup2 @ Thu, 19 Oct 2017 - 20:39) *
One example is agency for ASDA.Employed drivers at Asda tend to do all the store work which they were welcome to. Agencys covered the Trunking work,mainly secure loads (no stopping) no nights out and often one drop.I dont know who supplies them or the opportunities in your area and the rates will likely differ slightly on agency and demand.
When i was there i worked a 4 on 4 off.Unfortunatly ive had a clear out of text messages recently so cant quote exact figures but believe me £14 on a weekend would be sniggered at......From bed.
When i was at DHL/Milestone i would often work a friday,do a night out sat and work the sunday and then spend the rest of my week counting it all.

Thanks Fedup2. Whilst I understand that you have deleted text messages, I think you may have misunderstood my request. I asked where in the UK, these rates are being offered for agency work. Is it the South East, Inside the M25, the SW, the Midlands, East Anglia, Yorkshire and Humber, the North East, the North West, Scotland?

If you could give me a clue as to the location, of these rates, it would allow me to go online and look for tramping jobs in those areas, especially as you say three days work allowed you to take four days off. Even on that basis , I could afford motel and travel and still be quids in.

This post has been edited by fedup2: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 - 20:06

+Quote Post
oldstoat
post Fri, 20 Oct 2017 - 18:55
Post #42

Member No.: 25,505

My god. I have looked and worked in those areas. I live just outside Beverley. Agencies that work out of Tesco Goole pay no more than £17 on Sunday night rates. Asda at Normanton agency are no more than the same. DHL just of M18 near J6 are the same. I would love to find that sort of rate in this area. When you next receive one of the many text messages from one of the agencies that are paying this rate, would you be kind enough to make a note of the agency then can you please pm me with the name of the agency paying these rates. It may well be possible I am already on the books of them. I am on the books of at least 8 agencies based in Doncaster, Scunthorpe, Hull and Grimsby, and not one of them are offering any of those rates.

This is the latest from Indeed.co.uk

https://www.indeed.co.uk/jobs?q=hgv+class+1...amp;jt=contract

This post has been edited by oldstoat: Fri, 20 Oct 2017 - 19:08

--------------------
Bridges burnt, Rubicons crossed. Parthian shots delivered, but always with style

+Quote Post
Broadsman
post Sat, 21 Oct 2017 - 18:07
Post #43

Member No.: 57,735

Hopefully a bit of a result yesterday.

Coming down the M5, I'm in the nearside/middle lane and keeping an eye around. I saw a Merc A220d come down the outside lane, apart from the occasional HGV in the inside lane, we were the only ones on that stretch. He remained in the outside lane.

Couple of miles later there is a marked car and the driver and passenger were getting back in. As they picked up speed and passed me I commented to Mrs B that I bet it's the Merc A220d.

Sure enough it was.

Now, obviously I can't be certain that is what the tug was for but if you were the boys in blue on the southbound M5 yesterday coming down to J27, thanks.

+Quote Post
oldstoat
post Sun, 22 Oct 2017 - 18:25
Post #44

fedup2 am assuming you have been busy, over the weekend. can you send me some names of the agencies that you worked for this weekend, at £30/hr. i presume that after deleting the previous messages, they will have been sending them again since thursday, for you to work this weekend? or are you keeping them secret so that you can monopolise the market?

This post has been edited by oldstoat: Sun, 22 Oct 2017 - 18:26

--------------------
Bridges burnt, Rubicons crossed. Parthian shots delivered, but always with style

+Quote Post
fedup2
post Sun, 22 Oct 2017 - 21:22
Post #45

QUOTE (oldstoat @ Sun, 22 Oct 2017 - 19:25) *
fedup2 am assuming you have been busy, over the weekend. can you send me some names of the agencies that you worked for this weekend, at £30/hr. i presume that after deleting the previous messages, they will have been sending them again since thursday, for you to work this weekend? or are you keeping them secret so that you can monopolise the market?

+Quote Post
oldstoat
post Mon, 23 Oct 2017 - 06:27
Post #46

QUOTE (fedup2 @ Sun, 22 Oct 2017 - 22:22) *

Im not going into detail,but driving trucks is a thing of the past.Ive given good advice,accurate advice.People can take it or leave it.

I would love to take it but as I cannot find it how can I take it? Why can you not be a decent sort of chap and pm me the names of the agencies, that are paying these fantastic rates

--------------------

+Quote Post
fedup2
post Mon, 23 Oct 2017 - 06:55
Post #47

QUOTE (oldstoat @ Mon, 23 Oct 2017 - 07:27) *

Im not going into detail,but driving trucks is a thing of the past.Ive given good advice,accurate advice.People can take it or leave it.

I would love to take it but as I cannot find it how can I take it? Why can you not be a decent sort of chap and pm me the names of the agencies, that are paying these fantastic rates

+Quote Post
oldstoat
post Mon, 23 Oct 2017 - 17:30
Post #48

QUOTE (fedup2 @ Mon, 23 Oct 2017 - 07:55) *

I did better than pm i wrote the ruddy thing!

but you have written nothing that can assist me. all you have done is say, I can do this, earn that, but when I ask you to help me to earn the same sort of hourly rates, you provide no proof. you have said you deleted messages, but you say you receive messages all the time. I simply asked you to pm me when you received new messages and then give me the names of the agencies. Why is it too hard for you to help a fellow HGV driver to earn as much per hour as you appear to do.

--------------------

+Quote Post
PASTMYBEST
post Mon, 23 Oct 2017 - 18:05
Post #49

Member No.: 74,048

QUOTE (oldstoat @ Mon, 23 Oct 2017 - 18:30) *
QUOTE (fedup2 @ Mon, 23 Oct 2017 - 07:55) *

I did better than pm i wrote the ruddy thing!

but you have written nothing that can assist me. all you have done is say, I can do this, earn that, but when I ask you to help me to earn the same sort of hourly rates, you provide no proof. you have said you deleted messages, but you say you receive messages all the time. I simply asked you to pm me when you received new messages and then give me the names of the agencies. Why is it too hard for you to help a fellow HGV driver to earn as much per hour as you appear to do.

First thing my HGV instructor said was whenever a HGV driver tells you what they earn, half it and you will be close

+Quote Post
oldstoat
post Mon, 23 Oct 2017 - 19:06
Post #50

i suspect this is the case

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Advertisement

Advertise here!

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Sunday, 25th February 2018 - 01:55
Pepipoo uses cookies. You can find details of the cookies we use here along with links to information on how to manage them.
Please click the button to accept our cookies and hide this message. We’ll also assume that you’re happy to accept them if you continue to use the site.